+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time zone in CBSA records for physical presence calculation

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
Just a random question comes to mind: how would the IRCC evaluate physical presence when they look at CBSA records? Does timezone matter? It's easy to get a record from CBSA on all the entry and exit records, but notice that all the time records were in EST. Say some people who live in Vancouver come back at 11:30 p.m., which shows as 2:30 a.m. on the CBSA records.
Does the time zone matter?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Just a random question comes to mind: how would the IRCC evaluate physical presence when they look at CBSA records? Does timezone matter? It's easy to get a record from CBSA on all the entry and exit records, but notice that all the time records were in EST. Say some people who live in Vancouver come back at 11:30 p.m., which shows as 2:30 a.m. on the CBSA records.
Does the time zone matter?
Anytime you in Canada for that day is counted as physical presence. So timezone does not matter. If in doubt better have buffer for that day.

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
>Anytime you in Canada for that day is counted as physical presence.

Yep. But will IRCC check that? i.e., will IRCC check where you actually cross the border and take time differences into consideration?
I myself have got a lot of records crossing the border around EST midnight, so.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
>Anytime you in Canada for that day is counted as physical presence.

Yep. But will IRCC check that? i.e., will IRCC check where you actually cross the border and take time differences into consideration?
I myself have got a lot of records crossing the border around EST midnight, so.
How does it matter if they are processing everything in a particular timezone?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
How does it matter if they are processing everything in a particular timezone?
It matters because, if OP lives in Vancouver and returns at 11pm local time, he would be credited for that day if the local timezone is considered, but not if the east timezone is considered. That could even out with some departures at 1 am but still, it's a relevant question and IRCC should clearly say it.
Also, IMHO the best way is to enter the dates as OP recorded them (after all, it's a personal log not a CBSA copy paste, and someone in BC would record their exits and entry in local time), but be conservative with the days buffer, have one that's bigger that the number of doubtful entries.

Reactions: forw.jane

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
It matters because, if OP lives in Vancouver and returns at 11pm local time, he would be credited for that day if the local timezone is considered, but not if the east timezone is considered. That could even out with some departures at 1 am but still, it's a relevant question and IRCC should clearly say it.
Also, IMHO the best way is to enter the dates as OP recorded them (after all, it's a personal log not a CBSA copy paste, and someone in BC would record their exits and entry in local time), but be conservative with the days buffer, have one that's bigger that the number of doubtful entries.
I agree OP has to enter everything from there perspective(timezone) and leave the internal conversion headache for IRCC to handle. Have buffer to be safe.

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
> Have buffer to be safe.

I guess hundreds of day trips would be hard to buffer because you get one day less for each trip.
Not for my case; I just want to point it out.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
For sure, but I'm quite sure IRCC knows of this situation, and that the unified time stamp they use for exit/entries is just to simplify their algorithm and processing. But had they wanted people to apply in a specific timezone, they would have said so. After all, there's nothing in the Citizenship Act that speaks about timezones (see here for section 5(1) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/page-2.html#docCont), and a day in BC at 11 pm definitely fits the spirit of the law...
The buffer thing is more of an abundance of caution.

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
For sure, but I'm quite sure IRCC knows of this situation, and that the unified time stamp they use for exit/entries is just to simplify their algorithm and processing. But had they wanted people to apply in a specific timezone, they would have said so. After all, there's nothing in the Citizenship Act that speaks about timezones (see here for section 5(1) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/page-2.html#docCont), and a day in BC at 11 pm definitely fits the spirit of the law...
The buffer thing is more of an abundance of caution.
Yep. Now that I think about this again, the IRCC must have some ways to take this into account rather than just checking a time stamp with one specific time zone. (I myself have crossed the border in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver multiple times.)
Interestingly, on the other hand, US I-94 always shows the time and date in the local time zone. I've submitted that along with my application for safety.