+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Honestly I'm not sure. Contact into for London is in the faq in my signature. If suggest sending them an email and including a scan of your new passport, I'm not sure if you'll be able to land with COPR not matching your passport. But I don't know for sure so best to email and ask. (There is no phone number.)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
SchnookoLoly said:
Honestly I'm not sure. Contact into for London is in the faq in my signature. If suggest sending them an email and including a scan of your new passport, I'm not sure if you'll be able to land with COPR not matching your passport. But I don't know for sure so best to email and ask. (There is no phone number.)
the name in the passport must match the name on the copr, so if a name was changed (or will be), the applicant needs to contact the visa office to request a name change on the copr. not only will it cause issues at landing, it will also cause issues when getting social services such as SIN#, healthcare, etc. generally, the visa office will need a copy of the new passport to confirm the change. for ottawa, this can take an additional 2-4 weeks to complete. i don't know about other offices, though i'd imagine it really just depends on the efficiency of the visa office. Usually, the best way to contact the visa office in this situation is to send a case specific inquiry.

warzo

Aug 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
29-11-2014
File Transfer...
01-12-2014 - In Process...: - 17-08-2015
Med's Done....
06-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2015
LANDED..........
28-12-2015
I just got back from Greece. My husband and I met up there and had great 12 days together.

Just a few questions!

His address has changed. Can I send the new address via email?

Since our application was first submitted, this is my second visit. Should I include pictures/tickets/our daily 1-2 hour skype logs, or should I leave that and send it when requested?

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
For change of address you can just send London an email.As for photos .plain tickets etc i would normally say leave it until they ask,but if your file was really" weak" then i would send them. By weak i mean you met him one month ,married him the next,no wedding as such no letters from family and big age difference.

warzo

Aug 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
29-11-2014
File Transfer...
01-12-2014 - In Process...: - 17-08-2015
Med's Done....
06-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2015
LANDED..........
28-12-2015
taffy7 said:
For change of address you can just send London an email.As for photos .plain tickets etc i would normally say leave it until they ask,but if your file was really" weak" then i would send them. By weak i mean you met him one month ,married him the next,no wedding as such no letters from family and big age difference.
Well our marriage even though entirely our decision, was still influenced by our culture. We do not "date". He is best friends with my brother in law. So we first started talking July 2013. Then I went to see him in person in Nov 2013 and we visited Denmark and Italy. Then he proposed and I got married in April 2014. It was official marriage (2 receptions), and relatives and friends from both sides attended.

I have explained the culture piece, and I am hoping it won't be an issue.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
rhcohen2014 said:
the name in the passport must match the name on the copr, so if a name was changed (or will be), the applicant needs to contact the visa office to request a name change on the copr. not only will it cause issues at landing, it will also cause issues when getting social services such as SIN#, healthcare, etc. generally, the visa office will need a copy of the new passport to confirm the change. for ottawa, this can take an additional 2-4 weeks to complete. i don't know about other offices, though i'd imagine it really just depends on the efficiency of the visa office. Usually, the best way to contact the visa office in this situation is to send a case specific inquiry.
Awesome, thanks for clarifying! I figured this was likely, but always good to have someone who knows for sure weigh in! Cheers.

warzo said:
I just got back from Greece. My husband and I met up there and had great 12 days together.

Just a few questions!

His address has changed. Can I send the new address via email?

Since our application was first submitted, this is my second visit. Should I include pictures/tickets/our daily 1-2 hour skype logs, or should I leave that and send it when requested?
Re: Address, as others have said, case-specific enquiry is just fine.

Re: Proof of trip, just wait until it's requested. No point causing more work with sending docs they have not requested nor are expecting. So just sit tight and wait to hear something. :)

gander

Nov 20, 2014
Hi, just a quick question if I could. I submitted my app last September, but it got returned after three months as incomplete because a couple of forms were out of date. I resubmitted late November and it ended up going to London. I'm basically worried that the police certificate will now be out of date, so they'll end up requesting a new one, so I was thinking if this is the case then I should get a new one and send it before they ask. Does any one know if this will be the case, or should I just contact LVO and ask them? Thanks in advance!

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
gander said:
Hi, just a quick question if I could. I submitted my app last September, but it got returned after three months as incomplete because a couple of forms were out of date. I resubmitted late November and it ended up going to London. I'm basically worried that the police certificate will now be out of date, so they'll end up requesting a new one, so I was thinking if this is the case then I should get a new one and send it before they ask. Does any one know if this will be the case, or should I just contact LVO and ask them? Thanks in advance!
When they received the complete application was the police clearance certificate valid? If so then they should not ask for a new one as the only rule is it has to be less than 3 months old.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
warzo said:
Well our marriage even though entirely our decision, was still influenced by our culture. We do not "date". He is best friends with my brother in law. So we first started talking July 2013. Then I went to see him in person in Nov 2013 and we visited Denmark and Italy. Then he proposed and I got married in April 2014. It was official marriage (2 receptions), and relatives and friends from both sides attended.

I have explained the culture piece, and I am hoping it won't be an issue.

I would just sit tight , now that you have explained , don't send any more info. just update your address ,like Schnook suggested.

coreygirl

Dec 1, 2014
Apologies in advance, as I know this is not the thread for it, but I cannot seem to find this info anywhere else on these forums or even online? Which seems odd, I'll give you that.
Perhaps I am not wording it correctly..

However, my husband is a German citizen, now residing in Canada (yay!) but was formerly, and I believe still officially, a resident of the UK. Can someone please point me in the right direction for how he can cancel his UK residency? For tax purposes we want to do this asap. He's tried to call the consulate today but no answer. Even phrasing to google would be great! Everything we've tried thus far hasn't give us any info. :/

Thank you!!!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
coreygirl said:
Apologies in advance, as I know this is not the thread for it, but I cannot seem to find this info anywhere else on these forums or even online? Which seems odd, I'll give you that.
Perhaps I am not wording it correctly..

However, my husband is a German citizen, now residing in Canada (yay!) but was formerly, and I believe still officially, a resident of the UK. Can someone please point me in the right direction for how he can cancel his UK residency? For tax purposes we want to do this asap. He's tried to call the consulate today but no answer. Even phrasing to google would be great! Everything we've tried thus far hasn't give us any info. :/

Thank you!!!
I think all you have to do to not be a resident of the UK is to simply not be living there, and be able to prove it. When I left the UK 1.5 years ago (I'm a Canadian) I didn't have to "cancel" my residency, I just left. I don't think my husband, who is a Brit, did anything special either.

I might be wrong here...

coreygirl

Dec 1, 2014
SchnookoLoly said:
I think all you have to do to not be a resident of the UK is to simply not be living there, and be able to prove it. When I left the UK 1.5 years ago (I'm a Canadian) I didn't have to "cancel" my residency, I just left. I don't think my husband, who is a Brit, did anything special either.

I might be wrong here...
See, that's what I thought when I left Canada to move to Denmark 5 years ago.. but when I moved back to Canada, they wanted me to be doing taxes for the years that I was away. So then I had to prove that I had moved away. I had no idea that I would have had to let Canada know that I was going...

From what I understand with UK taxes and him being self employed, is that as long as they think he is a resident, he will be working, and so has to pay 50% of his upcoming years taxes upfront. For obvious reasons, we dont want to do that as he will not be working in the UK... but we cannot for the life of us figure out who to tell!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
When I left the U.K I just left the U.K. didn't tell anyone. I am a British citizen

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
coreygirl said:
See, that's what I thought when I left Canada to move to Denmark 5 years ago.. but when I moved back to Canada, they wanted me to be doing taxes for the years that I was away. So then I had to prove that I had moved away. I had no idea that I would have had to let Canada know that I was going...

From what I understand with UK taxes and him being self employed, is that as long as they think he is a resident, he will be working, and so has to pay 50% of his upcoming years taxes upfront. For obvious reasons, we dont want to do that as he will not be working in the UK... but we cannot for the life of us figure out who to tell!
Yes, Canada's is quite different - I did look into that bfeore I left Canada. My 2008 tax return had the box checked that said "this is my last tax return", and then I went through the process to make sure that my ties to Canada were severed for tax purposes - closed bank accounts, closed credit cards, transferred my drivers' license to a British one, cancelled my OHIP, etc... Canada determines residency for tax purposes slightly differently from other countries, so you have to make sure you have your ducks in a row. My understanding with the UK is that they are much less strict with that, you simply don't pay tax if you are not a resident, I don't think they go through the same audit etc. I had no issues when I re-filed my tax return this year, my first one in 5 years.

(Amusingly, my parents had a letter from CRA addressed to me saying they were missing my 2011 tax return. I called them to tellt hem that I was not a resident in Canada, had not filed since 2008, and well done on noticing they didn't have a 2011 tax return, but no mention of 2009 or 2010, haha. However they could see that my 2008 file had the "this is my last tax return" box ticked, so it ended up being fine.)

coreygirl

Dec 1, 2014
SchnookoLoly said:
Yes, Canada's is quite different - I did look into that bfeore I left Canada. My 2008 tax return had the box checked that said "this is my last tax return", and then I went through the process to make sure that my ties to Canada were severed for tax purposes - closed bank accounts, closed credit cards, transferred my drivers' license to a British one, cancelled my OHIP, etc... Canada determines residency for tax purposes slightly differently from other countries, so you have to make sure you have your ducks in a row. My understanding with the UK is that they are much less strict with that, you simply don't pay tax if you are not a resident, I don't think they go through the same audit etc. I had no issues when I re-filed my tax return this year, my first one in 5 years.

(Amusingly, my parents had a letter from CRA addressed to me saying they were missing my 2011 tax return. I called them to tellt hem that I was not a resident in Canada, had not filed since 2008, and well done on noticing they didn't have a 2011 tax return, but no mention of 2009 or 2010, haha. However they could see that my 2008 file had the "this is my last tax return" box ticked, so it ended up being fine.)

Hmmmm alright then, i'll let him know. I suppose we'll see what happens if the UK tax office sends him something to pay his advance taxes for the year! He can tell them at that time that he is no longer a resident. IF it even happens. Thanks SchnookoLoly & taffy7!