+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Brit_Immigrant said:
Nope still application received.

I saw the permanent residency card wait is currently 85 days. Will have to wait to land after a trip late July/August anyway with a wait that long. Another stupid process. I guess I could drive to Seattle and fly from there but don't really want to pay for 3 weeks airport parking. I would have to drive to Seattle and fly back to Vancouver before flying to London. Ridiculous!!!!
Don't take ECAS as any indication of where your application is at. Many apps, my partner's included, go straight from Application Received to Decision Made. The In Process status isn't that crucial.

Why would you need to drive to Seattle to fly back to Vancouver before flying to London?

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
A quick question: We did our medicals August 29th, far before they received our application November 27th. On our ECAS it does not say anything about our medicals being received. Should we be concerned?

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
Applicant7 said:
A quick question: We did our medicals August 29th, far before they received our application November 27th. On our ECAS it does not say anything about our medicals being received. Should we be concerned?
I would enquire. Our ECAS showed within a few weeks that the medical results had been received.

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Sweden said:
Because you're visa-exempt, you don't need the card to go back into the country. So if you live close to a border, Seattle/Vancouver it seems, you can drive to the border, flagpole and complete the immigration process at a land border. From Vancouver, in total it could take you less than 3h ( drive to the border, go through immigration and go back to Vancouver). Once that's completed, it starts the process for your PR card to arrive, but you don't need it right away. You can get a SIN with the signed copy of COPR, immediately, and you can go out of the country without any issue. you don't have to link a departure with your PR process, if you can do it earlier at a land border.
Sweden
I know I can flagpole at a border and they don't have to be linked but I thought I can't leave Canada and get back in by any commercial vehicle until I receive that PR card. I thought there was an issue with not having a return ticket when flying into Canada as I will not have PR card or a visa anymore, only a COPR which they don't accept at airports only land borders.

If I flagpole it will take 3 months to get my PR card. That means I can't fly out of Canada to the UK and back for a trip within those 3 months. I will have to drive across the border in my own car and fly out of and return to the US then cross the border with my COPR.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If you are visa-exempt, you can get back to Canada. Your COPR will not help you travel but it would be enough to show your PR status when you get back.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Brit_Immigrant said:
I know I can flagpole at a border and they don't have to be linked but I thought I can't leave Canada and get back in by any commercial vehicle until I receive that PR card. I thought there was an issue with not having a return ticket when flying into Canada as I will not have PR card or a visa anymore, only a COPR which they don't accept at airports only land borders.

If I flagpole it will take 3 months to get my PR card. That means I can't fly out of Canada to the UK and back for a trip within those 3 months. I will have to drive across the border in my own car and fly out of and return to the US then cross the border with my COPR.
As Zardoz said - the COPR is enough to get you back into Canada. If you're driving, you can show the COPR stamped when you get back into Canada. If you're flying, you can fly on your british passport, and when you get to the border, you tell them that you are a PR and they can look you up on the system and let you in. I've done it and there wasn't any issue.
THe only concern could be from the airline in the UK. Some airlines are reluctant to let passengers onboard if they have a one way ticket to Canada, as it doesn't correspond with a "tourist trip". They are not trained to read the COPR, and won't accept it as a proof. However, I have never been asked to show a return ticket, or a proof of PR, when flying to Canada before, so I'm not sure it's a real issue. The one case I remember from this forum was an applicant flying from Korea and being asked to "justify" the lack of return ticket, but I have never heard of anything like this from a European country.

You can flagpole, then fly out of Canada to the UK and back before the PR card is there, the likelihood of being asked for a return ticket by the airline when boarding in the UK is fairly low. You don't need the card to get into Canada - once you flagpole you're registered as a PR in CBSA system, and they can see it on the computer even when you travel on your British passport.

Sweden

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
zardoz said:
If you are visa-exempt, you can get back to Canada. Your COPR will not help you travel but it would be enough to show your PR status when you get back.
Yeah, but I have to travel as my partner and I have to go to the UK to for a wedding at the end of July and we are staying in Europe for 3 weeks so it doesn't make sense to land (providing I get residency by then) until we land from that trip as I can't fly in and out of Canada after I have flag-polled until I get that PR card.

It is a pretty stupid process. Congratulations, you are now a permanent resident but we don't accept the confirmation as valid proof that you are a permanent resident. You must wait for 3 months for us to send you a card before you can carry on with your life!

It is just annoying as I will travel a lot with my work and it is really restrictive for people in that situation!

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Sweden said:
As Zardoz said - the COPR is enough to get you back into Canada. If you're driving, you can show the COPR stamped when you get back into Canada. If you're flying, you can fly on your british passport, and when you get to the border, you tell them that you are a PR and they can look you up on the system and let you in. I've done it and there wasn't any issue.
THe only concern could be from the airline in the UK. Some airlines are reluctant to let passengers onboard if they have a one way ticket to Canada, as it doesn't correspond with a "tourist trip". They are not trained to read the COPR, and won't accept it as a proof. However, I have never been asked to show a return ticket, or a proof of PR, when flying to Canada before, so I'm not sure it's a real issue. The one case I remember from this forum was an applicant flying from Korea and being asked to "justify" the lack of return ticket, but I have never heard of anything like this from a European country.

You can flagpole, then fly out of Canada to the UK and back before the PR card is there, the likelihood of being asked for a return ticket by the airline when boarding in the UK is fairly low. You don't need the card to get into Canada - once you flagpole you're registered as a PR in CBSA system, and they can see it on the computer even when you travel on your British passport.

Sweden
Awesome, thanks for the info.

I was under the impression the airline always asked for a return ticket!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Brit_Immigrant said:
Awesome, thanks for the info.

I was under the impression the airline always asked for a return ticket!
If you're worried about it, you can get a "travel document" - it's mostly used for people from non-visa-exempt country that need to justify their entry to Canada before they board the airplane, but it would work in your case... You could flagpole (so the clock starts ticking for the PR card), then order the travel document, and have it handy in case you're asked for it during your work travels, or when going to the UK. Like this - you're not stuck in Canada waiting for the card, and you won't have to worry about having a return ticket etc. I'm pretty sure that with a british passport you won't be asked for it, but I understand the need to be "certain", especially if you will be doing a lot of traveling.

See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

The 85 days also varies, so by the time you have your PR, it might go down - and it's actually pretty accurate (for once!).
Sweden

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Brit_Immigrant said:
Yeah, but I have to travel as my partner and I have to go to the UK to for a wedding at the end of July and we are staying in Europe for 3 weeks so it doesn't make sense to land (providing I get residency by then) until we land from that trip as I can't fly in and out of Canada after I have flag-polled until I get that PR card.

It is a pretty stupid process. Congratulations, you are now a permanent resident but we don't accept the confirmation as valid proof that you are a permanent resident. You must wait for 3 months for us to send you a card before you can carry on with your life!

It is just annoying as I will travel a lot with my work and it is really restrictive for people in that situation!
I understand you are worried but as a few others have already said, you do NOT require your PR card to travel to and from Canada. You can travel on the strength of your British passport. There is little chance that you will be asked for a return ticket; if you are, you can buy a fully refundable one-way ticket.

The only time a PR card is required is when a person is non visa-exempt and returning to Canada on a commercial carrier.

You are visa-exempt. You can land, go to the wedding and return to Canada without your PR card.

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
canuck_in_uk said:
I understand you are worried but as a few others have already said, you do NOT require your PR card to travel to and from Canada. You can travel on the strength of your British passport. There is little chance that you will be asked for a return ticket; if you are, you can buy a fully refundable one-way ticket.

The only time a PR card is required is when a person is non visa-exempt and returning to Canada on a commercial carrier.

You are visa-exempt. You can land, go to the wedding and return to Canada without your PR card.
Thanks for all the info. There is so much conflicting information out there. I feel more comfortable about it now and will flag pole as soon as they finally dust my application off from sitting in a draw!

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
Becki567 said:
I would enquire. Our ECAS showed within a few weeks that the medical results had been received.
Thanks! I've just sent one in. This whole application is making me jittery about every possible misstep!

jamestneutron

May 29, 2013
Hi...my ECAS was update to show "medical results have been received" on May 22nd. Does anyone have any idea what the average time it take until Decision Made?

Can this be updated on the spreadsheet please.

Thanks ;D

MrPineappleHead

Apr 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
07-04-2014
File Transfer...
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
29-11-2014
jamestneutron said:
Hi...my ECAS was update to show "medical results have been received" on May 22nd. Does anyone have any idea what the average time it take until Decision Made?

Thanks ;D
I got this showing in mid February after having my application received in Mississauga on 13 Jan. I'm not sure that the 'Medical results have been received' is an indicator of how long is left to process your application. However some people on Canadavisa.com forum have said this means they are satisfied with the results of your medical. If true, I suppose that can only be seen as a good sign.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
jamestneutron said:

Thanks ;D
Medical results received is no indication of where you are in the timeline. Ours for example was there about a week after Sponsor Approval but another 6 months until Decision Made.

If you look at the spreadsheet you will see this information is not tracked. Also, it is NOT an indicator that you have passed the medical results. (although as a spouse you cannot be denied due to medical reasons)