+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

virakanka

May 2, 2013
Hello All

I was going through your posts for the last few months or so in this forum and was trying to understand the exact time line for this process as my application was with London VO since November 2012,I have noticed these news about the strike and was worried.However i got my PPR yesterday therefor thought it would be helpful to share my experience with you all who should be waiting for some news from London VO during this vital time period.(the month of june)
i sent my csq in FEB and they asked for additional documents on 2nd of May.I sent these on 9th of May and my ecas went to IN PROCESS on 28th May.I have submitted my medicals in Nov last year.And finally passport request came yesterday.This shows actually London office is back in action.and might be having a less effect from this strike,(I am not sure if this is still going on)

Finally this long wait is about to be over,and i am going to london next week to submit my passport,would like to wish all of you good luck,,just hang in there,,You will also hear from them soon,, :D

Thanks and regards

philipsweden

Aug 6, 2012
DGT said:
Hi Philip!

My understanding of the background check process is that the VOs' have extensive resources available for background checks, but they rely on the efficiency of others. Every applicant is checked out by the CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service), as well as regular criminal databases and records. If there are a lot of countries, it essentially means that many more people and departments are required in assessing the background. Depending on how effective record keeping can be in a country, this can take a while.

From what I know about the CSIS, it's quite an inefficient body and isn't highly regarded in the intelligence community. And of course, as CIC has been known to misplace and misfile things, we can also assume that these people performing background checks also do this stuff!

It sure seems like it's been a long time for your background checks, and hopefully your email has prompted a VO to chase it up. I applied 4 days after you, and my background check was completed almost immediately (and i've lived on 4 continents over the course of my life!).

I think you have legitimate cause for a rant!
Hi DGT

Thanks for your piece of sharing!

I have only lived in Sweden, France and China so far but what I am really afraid of is if VO CSIS have asked for information from the Chinese government. If they have I could only imagine when I get my PR, if there is any government body that is more inefficient and slow than the Canadian VO is the Chinese government. One could probably wait for a 100 years for information from the chinese government.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
philipsweden said:
Hi DGT

Thanks for your piece of sharing!

I have only lived in Sweden, France and China so far but what I am really afraid of is if VO CSIS have asked for information from the Chinese government. If they have I could only imagine when I get my PR, if there is any government body that is more inefficient and slow than the Canadian VO is the Chinese government. One could probably wait for a 100 years for information from the chinese government.
No problem Philip!

If it allays your concerns at all, the Beijing Office is actually one of the quickest at processing PR applications (faster than London!) so that would indicate that they have some measure of success in acquiring info from The Middle Kingdom!

Hope it comes through for you soon.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey!

I actually ordered my GCMS notes a while ago and got them after 30 days, by email. I've been approved already a while ago, so it was pure curiosity from my part, I wanted to see if I could get more info about the process itself. Since we all speculate a lot (while waiting) and try and make sense of CIC and the approval process, I wanted to see if the notes could help.
Well - yes and no!

Most of the notes are dates and actions that don't make sense outside of the system I think. At least not to me! Here is what I could understand of it:
12/04/12 application received
End June: application opened (created in the system in Mississauga, but no information or review).
Sponsor assessed and approved 12/07 (we got an email), entered in the system 13/07. Physical file prepared for transfer and sent 16/07, arrived in London 26/07.

File opened in London 23/10. Approved 05/11, COPR sent out 07/11. (my ecas got the "canadian address" on the 07/11 evening and DM on the 08/11).

Medicals: noted as "passed" for me (applicant) on the 13/07: so at the same time as they registered the sponsorship approval - looks like they look at the medicals for the applicant already at first stage, which probably explains why my file showed "medicals have been received".

From the notes, it looks like Mississauga creates all the 'categories" (eligibility, criminality and security, these are the 3 categories noted on my file) in the electronic file when the sponsor is approved, but nothing changes until somebody opens the file in London.

For the sponsor part: my partner wasn't living in Canada, and had sent proofs that we will move etc, but it's still noted "intent to return to Canada to be determined by the VO" - so even if it's part of stage 1, looks like the VO still confirms that. Indeed, in London notes, there is something about "being satisfied that the sponsor will move to Canada, and principal applicant with him".

I sent additional documents to my file (PCs that I couldn't get on time before sending them, so I sent my application with the ones I had before they expired, and then added some later on): the date is noted as added to the file, but no decision on it.

File opened in London 23/10/12: I traveled a lot, and could not get all the PCs required. But I sent proofs that I had really tried to get the PCs, and because I had provided the ones I could (5 of them...), they waived the requirement for the 2 missing. ( I had my employer vouch for my conduct instead of getting a PC).
The notes on the 23/10 seem to indicate that there is a first officer reviewing the case and putting notes on the things that need "further approval". In my case, CL was clear, and genuine relationship as well. The one that needed review was the "criminality" because of the missing PCs.

Then review by officer on the 05/11, and approved. COPR sent out 2 days later.

It doesn't seem anywhere that they requested info from outside about my background, I'm not sure if they do it systematically.

For those who have traveled a lot: my impression is that it depends on why you traveled, and where. In my case, it was for work, and with a reputable employer, so the fact that my PCs were missing didn't seem to be an issue. A friend of mine, with a similar application ( and same employer!) got approved also very quickly, despite the long traveling history and missing PCs.

Not sure it helps - but if you have time to kill order the notes... mine were 37 pages long, as a pdf document, with most of it not really clear, but some of it entertaining!

Good luck for those waiting,
Sweden

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Sweden said:
Hey!

I actually ordered my GCMS notes a while ago and got them after 30 days, by email. I've been approved already a while ago, so it was pure curiosity from my part, I wanted to see if I could get more info about the process itself. Since we all speculate a lot (while waiting) and try and make sense of CIC and the approval process, I wanted to see if the notes could help.
Well - yes and no!

Most of the notes are dates and actions that don't make sense outside of the system I think. At least not to me! Here is what I could understand of it:
End June: application opened (created in the system in Mississauga, but no information or review).
Sponsor assessed and approved 12/07 (we got an email), entered in the system 13/07. Physical file prepared for transfer and sent 16/07, arrived in London 26/07.

File opened in London 23/10. Approved 05/11, COPR sent out 07/11. (my ecas got the "canadian address" on the 07/11 evening and DM on the 08/11).

Medicals: noted as "passed" for me (applicant) on the 13/07: so at the same time as they registered the sponsorship approval - looks like they look at the medicals for the applicant already at first stage, which probably explains why my file showed "medicals have been received".

From the notes, it looks like Mississauga creates all the 'categories" (eligibility, criminality and security, these are the 3 categories noted on my file) in the electronic file when the sponsor is approved, but nothing changes until somebody opens the file in London.

For the sponsor part: my partner wasn't living in Canada, and had sent proofs that we will move etc, but it's still noted "intent to return to Canada to be determined by the VO" - so even if it's part of stage 1, looks like the VO still confirms that. Indeed, in London notes, there is something about "being satisfied that the sponsor will move to Canada, and principal applicant with him".

I sent additional documents to my file (PCs that I couldn't get on time before sending them, so I sent my application with the ones I had before they expired, and then added some later on): the date is noted as added to the file, but no decision on it.

File opened in London 23/10/12: I traveled a lot, and could not get all the PCs required. But I sent proofs that I had really tried to get the PCs, and because I had provided the ones I could (5 of them...), they waived the requirement for the 2 missing. ( I had my employer vouch for my conduct instead of getting a PC).
The notes on the 23/10 seem to indicate that there is a first officer reviewing the case and putting notes on the things that need "further approval". In my case, CL was clear, and genuine relationship as well. The one that needed review was the "criminality" because of the missing PCs.

It doesn't seem anywhere that they requested info from outside about my background, I'm not sure if they do it systematically.

For those who have traveled a lot: my impression is that it depends on why you traveled, and where. In my case, it was for work, and with a reputable employer, so the fact that my PCs were missing didn't seem to be an issue. A friend of mine, with a similar application ( and same employer!) got approved also very quickly, despite the long traveling history and missing PCs.

Not sure it helps - but if you have time to kill order the notes... mine were 37 pages long, as a pdf document, with most of it not really clear, but some of it entertaining!

Sweden
Thanks for the insight Sweden!

philipsweden

Aug 6, 2012
Sweden said:
Hey!

Well - yes and no!

Sweden
Hi Sweden

Thanks a lot for sharing your notes on your process,very interesting!

By traveling do you mean that you went to these places where you got the police records for longer than 6 months? I only sent in police certificates for the places where I spent longer than 6 months in.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have heard of people being asked to provide police clearance from countries where they have spent a lot of time, even if each individual visit was less than 6 months. I guess it depends on the country and why they were there.

Dubrider

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-01-2013
Nomination.....
30-3-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Request
04-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
zardoz said:
I have heard of people being asked to provide police clearance from countries where they have spent a lot of time, even if each individual visit was less than 6 months. I guess it depends on the country and why they were there.
I'm originally from Wales, UK and lived in Australia for 2 years, I was asked to submit a PCC for the UK & Australia

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
philipsweden said:
Hi Sweden

Thanks a lot for sharing your notes on your process,very interesting!

By traveling do you mean that you went to these places where you got the police records for longer than 6 months? I only sent in police certificates for the places where I spent longer than 6 months in.
Yes - I only provided PC for countries where I lived for more than 6 months. On top of that, I traveled quite a lot and tried to be as detailed as possible, but of course - could not remember where I have been and when for the last 10 years! So I explained as best as I could, and it seems to be convincing as they didn't request more information.

Desi PK

Nov 15, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2012
Doc's Request.
May 2013
File Transfer...
November 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Interview........
exempt
Passport Req..
8 june 2013
VISA ISSUED...
25th June 2013
Guys information required:

Have any tried to contact London VO by email "London-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca" or "re-london-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca" ?
Do they reply ? How much time they take to reply if email sent to those email addresses??

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Desi PK said:

Have any tried to contact London VO by email "London-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca" or "re-london-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca" ?
Do they reply ? How much time they take to reply if email sent to those email addresses??
Hey!

I'd recommend using the webform. I know some people have had replies from direct emails, but I never have. At least when you use the webform you get an official notice that the query has been received.

davidmarsden38

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
File Transfer...
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-10-2013 (extended)
Passport Req..
Exempt
Desi PK said:

Have any tried to contact London VO by email "London-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca" or "re-london-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca" ?
Hey there Desi,

I reply to the re-london-im email address and always get a reply within the week :)

Cheers,
David

katelynlc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fredericton, NB
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
29-04-2013
AOR Received.
26-11-2012
Med's Done....
02-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
LANDED..........
31-07-2013
Hi guys!

Just wanted to share some strike news:

@MichelleZilio is the only free-lance reporter that I know that is doing any type of in depth coverage of the strike. She wrote an article today (actually tweeted at me a couple of times for input)

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/06/14/371893/

Couple of relevant quotes:

For instance, in Mexico City, he said the typical backlog is 500 visa applications in queue, but the strike has pushed that number to more than 7,000. And in Delhi and Beijing, Edwards suspects the impact is even worse.

CIC said contingency plans are in place to ensure all offices remain open to provide at least a minimum level of service. The department did not return iPolitics’ request for more information about those contingency plans.
So I guess we can be thankful we're not being processed thru Mexico?

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
I was just about to post this! ;D

Hehe. Also, I'm guessing that it's yourself that started following me on twitter today! Hi :)

katelynlc

Star Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fredericton, NB
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2012
Doc's Request.
29-04-2013
AOR Received.
26-11-2012
Med's Done....
02-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
LANDED..........
31-07-2013
DGT said:
I was just about to post this! ;D

Hehe. Also, I'm guessing that it's yourself that started following me on twitter today! Hi :)
LOL Small world! My username for both here and twitter is the same so most likely! :)