+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

GISGeek

Aug 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2014
File Transfer...
27-10-2014
Med's Request
1st Upfront; 1st re-med: 19-05-2015; 2nd re-med: 09-10-2015
Med's Done....
24-07-2014: 1st re-med on: 28-05-2015; 2nd re-med: on 02-11-2015
Interview........
Waived, DM on 10 Nov 2015
Passport Req..
23-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2015, COPR received on 07-12-2015
andyb2404 said:
So I completed my landing a few hours ago at Peace Bridge, Fort Erie. I decided to post my experience as I know some of you were asking about it.

So it was all a Very simple and easy process.
Once I arrived at the front line officer I informed him I needed to land as a PR. He checked over my passport really quickly and filled out a piece of paper and sent me over to park the car and go into one of the buildings.
Once inside I was welcomed and directed by another officer who let me know which desk to go and line up at.
I was seen straight away and handed the officer, my passport, COPR and the piece of paper the officer outside gave to me.
He welcomed me and asked me a little bit about how my day was going and filling in time with small talk.
Once he pulled me up on his computer I was asked 4 questions:
1) is all the information on the COPR correct?
2) is the address on the COPR the correct mailing address?
3) Have I ever committed and been charged for any crimes in Canada?
4) Do I have any dependants?

After answering these questions, the officer asked me to sign my COPR, he then signed the COPR and congratulated me on become a PR of Canada. He informed me of my rights as a resident, gave me some info on how to obtain health care and getting my SIN set up.

He then brought over another officer who went through my "B4" form (importing goods into Canada)
I had nothing with me but they said if there is anything back in the UK that I may one day want to bring to Canada I should include it on the B4 form as it's the only chance an immigrant has to bring their personal items into Canada tax and duty free.

When landing as a PR all the officers are really nice, very helpful and totally different than when you are arriving a visitor or anything else. They were laughing and cracking jokes, it was all very relaxed but yet still thorough.
The whole landing process took around 20 -25 minutes then we left and headed home.

Once again a huge thank you to the seniors on here for all their help and the all the hard work they put into the spreadsheets and answering people's questions on the forums!!!
Congratulations!, I am glad you made it. Thank you for posting your "landing story", really interesting though. Please wish good luck to those who are still waiting.

andyb2404

Star Member
Jul 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London (kept in Mississauga)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2014
Doc's Request.
22-02-2015
AOR Received.
20-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
30-10-2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
March 27th 2015
LANDED..........
April 4th 2015
GISGeek said:
Congratulations!, I am glad you made it. Thank you for posting your "landing story", really interesting though. Please wish good luck to those who are still waiting.
I'm praying that everyone who's waiting receives news and move forward with their applications soon. I want to give back to the boards as so many on here are incredibly helpful! Knowledge is powerful and with knowledge you or anyone else can achieve anything!
Happy Easter everyone!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canucklehead_in_ireland said:
Hey Guy's haven't been on in a while. I have a question, I am planning on flying back to Canada in the middle of June to start setting things up, my wife will fly to her parents in Poland with the 2 kids to live until she arrives in Canada. We will no longer have an address in Dublin. We have not gotten our COPR yet but we can't wait any longer. Obviously we will have to send a change of address to the VAC in London, my question is will they need to transfer her PR app. to the Warsaw VAC. while she resides in Poland or will they continue the application in London and send the COPR to her Polish address?
They will continue to process it in London and mail her COPR to Poland.

Is there any particular reason that you guys decided for her and the kids to go to Poland instead of coming to Canada with you in June?

Mar 2, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:

Is there any particular reason that you guys decided for her and the kids to go to Poland instead of coming to Canada with you in June?

Cheers I thought that would be the case.

Well there's a couple reason's the first is for me to set things up, house vehicles all the little bit's and pieces which I can get done much quicker without helping her adjust to life on a new continent. Although I think she'll adjust quickly I'd like to have most everything in place so she can get used to her surroundings and not worry about those things. Also, so her and the kids can hang with the grand parents and vice versa for a little while before they're across the ocean.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well there's a couple reason's the first is for me to set things up, house vehicles all the little bit's and pieces which I can get done much quicker without helping her adjust to life on a new continent. Although I think she'll adjust quickly I'd like to have most everything in place so she can get used to her surroundings and not worry about those things. Also, so her and the kids can hang with the grand parents and vice versa for a little while before they're across the ocean.
Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't because you thought they couldn't come with you. Good luck!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
canadian_family_in_dk said:
Hi, how do I get my information added to the "timeline for canadian spousal sponsorship via london" spreadsheet? Cheers.

Leave the info here and one of the admins will add you .
1) application sent
2) SA received IF SO WHERE IT IS BEING PROCESSED London Mississauga Ottawa
3) common law or married
4) nearest city E.G. Edinburgh- Wales- Liverpool - Manchester.

Apr 6, 2015
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I will be starting our application next month (CL, she's Canadian, I'm British, both currently living in the UK) and I have a question about what happens after the final approval if you are applying from outside of Canada.

Is there a certain amount of time that you have to move to Canada once you have received the approval?

For example we're planning on moving to Canada from the UK next summer but if the COPR arrives in December/January, do we then have a certain window in which to go to Canada or can we wait until the summer?

Thanks!

hgauhar

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 July 2014
AOR Received.
28 Aug 2014
Med's Request
25 March 2015
Med's Done....
2 Apr 2015
Passport Req..
20 Jul 2015
VISA ISSUED...
12 august 2015
LANDED..........
17 august 2015
got remedical request on 25th march 15 please update in sheet

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
originalsource said:
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I will be starting our application next month (CL, she's Canadian, I'm British, both currently living in the UK) and I have a question about what happens after the final approval if you are applying from outside of Canada.

Is there a certain amount of time that you have to move to Canada once you have received the approval?

For example we're planning on moving to Canada from the UK next summer but if the COPR arrives in December/January, do we then have a certain window in which to go to Canada or can we wait until the summer?

Thanks!
Hi,
it may have changed since I immigrated - it used to be you had to present yourself within 12 months of your medical. I am now sponsoring my UK partner so this answer, if update is good for me to know too!

When I first applied in 1997, I had my medical in the May 1996, interview in October 1996 (went through Lisbon office as timelines back then were shorter and you could choose which office to submit through). Got approval after the interview but meant I didn't have a lot of time to present myself. I went to Canada for a week in the April, came back to the UK to finish things up and moved back out in the July. The immigration chaps gave me a bit of a hard time for being out of the country for so long.

So, far as I know it's 12 months after the medical, they will give you a timeline when you need to present yourself on your COPR. If the medical date is close they may waive that.

I am sure the senior members can answer definitively for you!
Jonesy

Yomaben

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
London Uk
Visa Office......
London Uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02.02.14, resubmitted 17.06.14
AOR Received.
SA/ Approval 08.08.2014
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
26-03-14, re medical submitted 28-10-15
Interview........
21-05-15
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 17.11.15
LANDED..........
TBC
Hi BritishBob
Congratulation

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Happy Easter everyone. Haven't been around for a few days, neither has Andrew, so just catching up now. A bucket of updates below.

Tashyv said:
I have just received my decision in the post with my COPR certificate! So excited!
Thank you so much for all your help in answering crazy panicky questions and such an amazing spreadsheet and FAQ list! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Awesome, glad it's all sorted! It's a big relief when you're done. :) Have a read through the wiki articles on Landing and Goods to Follow, you can find those on BritishExpats in the Wiki (I think there are links from the FAQ in my signature? If not just do a search from there!) Good luck!

andyb2404 said:
So I completed my landing a few hours ago at Peace Bridge, Fort Erie. I decided to post my experience as I know some of you were asking about it.
<<snip>>
Once again a huge thank you to the seniors on here for all their help and the all the hard work they put into the spreadsheets and answering people's questions on the forums!!!
Thanks for sharing this experience! I'm going to add it to the landing wiki on BritishExpats as it's useful to have a few posts like this referenced! :)

Hey Guy's haven't been on in a while. I have a question, I am planning on flying back to Canada in the middle of June to start setting things up, my wife will fly to her parents in Poland with the 2 kids to live until she arrives in Canada. We will no longer have an address in Dublin. We have not gotten our COPR yet but we can't wait any longer. Obviously we will have to send a change of address to the VAC in London, my question is will they need to transfer her PR app. to the Warsaw VAC. while she resides in Poland or will they continue the application in London and send the COPR to her Polish address?
canuck_in_uk said:

Not necessarily. There was someone on here awhile back who moved back to Iran from London to wait out the rest of his COPR, and CIC transferred the file when he confirmed he moved. However, that guy was Iranian and just resident in London. So if OP's wife is Polish and then living in Poland, then it's likely that the application will be transferred to Warsaw. However, if OP's wife is British and just chilling out in Poland, then the app will probably stay in London. (However, CIC reserves the right to transfer it based on residency changing to Poland.)

canadian_family_in_dk said:
Ok, thanks.

Application received in Missassauga: 15 oct 2014
Type: Married
City: Copenhagen
Processin center: Ottawa
Sponsorship approval: 15 dec 2014
Added, thanks!

originalsource said:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
As others have said, COPR generally will be valid from either one year from when you had your medicals done, OR when your passport expires, whichever comes first. See http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ#How_long_will_I_have_to_land.3F

hgauhar said:
got remedical request on 25th march 15 please update in sheet
Updated, thanks!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
originalsource said:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

You will receive your papers in the mail and on it will have a date you have o enter Canada. You can come land and return back to the U.K.to finish off what you need to do then return to Canada. Some will say 12 months after your medical some will say when your passport expires. I disagree . Your application could be processed in Mississauga and you could get approved in 4 months all done and dusted, or Ottawa or London. Its a crap shot and unfortunately for you when it says you have to land you have to land .The average time in London is about 9 months right now but it changes.There is a London spreadsheet and it would be a good idea to have a look and see the process of applications .Its under andrew-brit or schnookloy think i spellt that one wrong lol

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
taffy7 said:
You will receive your papers in the mail and on it will have a date you have o enter Canada. You can come land and return back to the U.K.to finish off what you need to do then return to Canada. Some will say 12 months after your medical some will say when your passport expires. I disagree . Your application could be processed in Mississauga and you could get approved in 4 months all done and dusted, or Ottawa or London. Its a crap shot and unfortunately for you when it says you have to land you have to land .The average time in London is about 9 months right now but it changes.There is a London spreadsheet and it would be a good idea to have a look and see the process of applications .Its under andrew-brit or schnookloy think i spellt that one wrong lol
Landing and moving are two different things, I think you are confused.

COPR will only be valid for 12 months from your medical or when your passport expires, whichever comes first. That is simply for you to show up at a Canadian border and activate your PR. You can turn around and leave on the next plane if you want, but your residency clock starts ticking the moment you land.

In our case, meds were done on 13 December 2011. Application was sent January 2012. COPR was issued in August 2012 with an expiry date of 12 December 2012. We landed on 8 December 2012, stayed for two weeks, then went back to the UK. We came to Canada for 2 weeks in June to job-hunt. The border agent noticed my husband was a PR, but we said we were just coming for two weeks and not establishing residency yet. We moved permanently in September 2013.

It's important to understand the difference between landing and actually moving, as well as understanding when the residency clock actually starts ticking.