Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 3, 2011
AOR Received.
March 9, 2011
Passport Req..
24-05-2013
kayan said:
I don't know if there any tips someone can give you about that. You need to be able to find a company to which you can offer skills that they would not be able to find anywhere else to make it worthwhile for them to go through this process. My husband also tried to find a company who would be willing to get a work permit for him, but had no luck. Some companies were interested in hiring him, but only once he is a PR.
i work for a large company and they gave me a job offer (intra company transfer) and I am also a member of management with specialized knowledge (since we bought over this plant in orillia ontario). They told me to show up at the border and ask for a work permit with the cover letter they wrote.

Do you guys think this will work?

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
buffalo-toronto said:
you guys talk about work permits, I have tried my luck getting a company sponsor me a work permit in the mean time till I get my PR but havn't had any luck. Any tips would be welcome on how to get work permit sponsored or finding a company who will sponsor a work permit.
Unfortunately there's no easy way out. I have a work permit now because I was lucky enough to qualify for a Working Holiday program (SWAP) since I had recently graduated. If you are or have been a fulltime student in the US within the last year, you might want to check it out. Anywho, my one year on the program is now up so that's why I'm having to go through the hassle for a new one (it's non-renewable).

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
AllisonVSC said:
Why would you have to pay any taxes? If you are becoming a PR and your vehicle is listed as personal goods to import, you won't owe any taxes or duty on it. Now, import fees and excise tax for a/c are a different matter.

What you will need to prove in order to bring it to Canada is that the lien holder will allow you to export it from the US.
Isnt the import fees 5% of whatever the vehicle Is worth plus the $100 for a/c and there was another fee for around $200 the way I understood It or am I seeing It wrong?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Calgary-Bound, Maybe you are confusing two things?

1) Canadians (citizens and residents) who cross the border to buy American cars to import, and
2) New PRs (or returning residents) who are bringing personal goods to Canada?

If you are a new PR and you declare at landing a vehicle as part of your goods to import, you are not subject to taxation on your personal property. Import fees and the a/c thing, yes (well maybe not even on the a/c thing. I wasn't charged), but no tax that is based on the value of the vehicle. Your personal goods are tax and duty free, if declared at landing.

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
AllisonVSC said:
Calgary-Bound, Maybe you are confusing two things?

1) Canadians (citizens and residents) who cross the border to buy American cars to import, and
2) New PRs (or returning residents) who are bringing personal goods to Canada?

If you are a new PR and you declare at landing a vehicle as part of your goods to import, you are not subject to taxation on your personal property. Import fees and the a/c thing, yes (well maybe not even on the a/c thing. I wasn't charged), but no tax that is based on the value of the vehicle. Your personal goods are tax and duty free, if declared at landing.
I think I miss understood It all.So I pay the a/c fee and the import fee which Is probably the $200 fee.I thought I read In an earlier post from someone that just landed that It could be expensive if you still owe money on your vehicle to bring It to Canada.

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
Calgary-Bound said:
I think I miss understood It all.So I pay the a/c fee and the import fee which Is probably the $200 fee.I thought I read In an earlier post from someone that just landed that It could be expensive if you still owe money on your vehicle to bring It to Canada.
The $200 is to the RIV for the import (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and this site talks about the duty/taxes but as a settler you will want to also read the instructions on the CBSA site.
http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html

Also expect to pay for an inspection and the installation of daytime running lights (and anything else needed to bring the car up to Canadian standards). I didn't know about an a/c fee so I'll watch out for that.

We are waiting to do this for my husband's car because he lost his title years ago and we had to request a replacement first.

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
So you pay the RIV fee,a/c fee,letter from the finance co.,and the recall letter from the manufacturer and thats pretty much It.The daytime running lights Is all I need and can do that myself.So since my truck Is In Canada already I guess I can just claim It on my goods list you dont have to actualy drive it across the border.I wish you could put It on the goods to follow list but you cant If Its financed can you?My plates are good till 2013 so It would be nice to keep them till they run out.For some reason this part seems more confuseing than all the paperwork for PR.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
Kess said:
The $200 is to the RIV for the import (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and this site talks about the duty/taxes but as a settler you will want to also read the instructions on the CBSA site.
http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html

Also expect to pay for an inspection and the installation of daytime running lights (and anything else needed to bring the car up to Canadian standards). I didn't know about an a/c fee so I'll watch out for that.

We are waiting to do this for my husband's car because he lost his title years ago and we had to request a replacement first.
The inspection fee is supposed to be included with the RIV Fee

Tiggilicious

Jun 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2011
AOR Received.
28-06-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Request
31-07-2011
Med's Done....
14-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-2011
Calgary-Bound said:
So you pay the RIV fee,a/c fee,letter from the finance co.,and the recall letter from the manufacturer and thats pretty much It.The daytime running lights Is all I need and can do that myself.So since my truck Is In Canada already I guess I can just claim It on my goods list you dont have to actualy drive it across the border.I wish you could put It on the goods to follow list but you cant If Its financed can you?My plates are good till 2013 so It would be nice to keep them till they run out.For some reason this part seems more confuseing than all the paperwork for PR.
The car needs to be present in the US for 3 business days, during the export process (and not taken out of the US during that time)

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Hi everyone! My partner (who, I am sure will join this form very soon) are about to go through the outland application process to Buffalo! I am sponsoring her, and we're ready for the long journey... I look forward to getting to know all of you over the coming months, and supporting eachother through this seemingly difficult process.

We've got a question about the Buffalo application.... First of all, I am Canadian and she is French. Can we apply to all of the American offices? Also, if we're willing to have it sent to any of the American offices, is there a chance that it would be processed more quickly than through Buffalo?

We JUST found out today that her visa is not extendable... even when a laywer, and immigration consultant AND the Canadian Embassy in Paris told us it was... we're kind of freaking out right now, and we don't really even know where to start...
Any help or tips you could give us would be very much appreciated.

Good luck, everyone!

yvzp

Sep 11, 2011
Got mine and my boys visas today. it expires Nov. 4 Now on a mad dash to pack everything and find some place to live. If the 11 months on the website was correct this would have taken till February, so a bit surprised that sometime government works faster. ha. Does anyone know; once we land in Canada, how long it takes to get the permanent residence card?

yvzp

Sep 11, 2011
gatherroses said:
Hi everyone! My partner (who, I am sure will join this form very soon) are about to go through the outland application process to Buffalo! I am sponsoring her, and we're ready for the long journey... I look forward to getting to know all of you over the coming months, and supporting eachother through this seemingly difficult process.

We've got a question about the Buffalo application.... First of all, I am Canadian and she is French. Can we apply to all of the American offices? Also, if we're willing to have it sent to any of the American offices, is there a chance that it would be processed more quickly than through Buffalo?

We JUST found out today that her visa is not extendable... even when a laywer, and immigration consultant AND the Canadian Embassy in Paris told us it was... we're kind of freaking out right now, and we don't really even know where to start...

Good luck, everyone!
only the buffalo office deals with immigration, so they are the only one you can file through.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats!! Huh, gov't works "faster"?!?
yvzp said:
Got mine and my boys visas today. it expires Nov. 4 Now on a mad dash to pack everything and find some place to live. If the 11 months on the website was correct this would have taken till February, so a bit surprised that sometime government works faster. ha.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp
yvzp said:
Does anyone know; once we land in Canada, how long it takes to get the permanent residence card?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cooool. :) My husband (native of Morocco) spent some time studying in Toulouse. I just want to make sure by asking: does she qualify as a member of the family class? That is, is she a spouse, common law partner, or conjugal partner. If not married, have you lived together at least 12 consecutive months or else fit the criteria for conjugal partnership?
gatherroses said:
Um, no. There is no applying to "all the American offices." All outlanders send their full application packages in to Case Processing Center-Mississauga, and CPC-M forwards the application (after it approves the sponsorship portion) to the relevant visa office. The Buffalo visa office is responsible for PR applications where the primary applicant is from, or has spent a great amount of time in, Bermuda, St. Pierre et Miquelon, and the United States (including Puerto Rico). I'm wondering why you think your application would be sent to an "American office" if your spouse is a French national though......
gatherroses said:

Good luck, everyone!

yvzp

Sep 11, 2011
I know, but we applied in March and the website says 11 month which would be February, yet here it is only September. I was totally expecting another 4-5 months.