none
Passport Req..
September 6, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
September 13, 2011
LANDED..........
September 13, 2011
Calgary-Bound said:
Hey shelleydalyce did you put your vehicle on the goods to follow and If so Is It paid for or financed?Also congrats on your landing.
No vehicle to import. Sold that, going to buy another one.

kayan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jstnmlr said:
It truly is a crazy system whatever it is. Even more strange is how secretive the whole thing is.
It's probably secretive because they don't want you to know how crazy and messed up the system is ::)

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
Ugh, I hate to hear all this terrible news, and I really feel for you, kayan. :'(

Yesterday some idiot forgot how to use his brakes and rammed into me, so now my car is in the shop, and my insurance company is clueless on how to handle a claim in Canada, and between that and work and who knows what else, I still haven't had a chance to finish decoding the process to get a new work permit, and thus am still facing possible deportation in T-5 days.

:-\ :'(

Thanks, Canadian bureaucracy.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Calgary-Bound said:
So how do they determine how much you have to pay In taxes?I owe $15,000 on my truck still so I have a feeling Im going to get hit hard.
Why would you have to pay any taxes? If you are becoming a PR and your vehicle is listed as personal goods to import, you won't owe any taxes or duty on it. Now, import fees and excise tax for a/c are a different matter.

What you will need to prove in order to bring it to Canada is that the lien holder will allow you to export it from the US.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanx for sharing ;D Not planning on going to Buffalo but good to know you have to surrender your cellphones if you bring them ::) I guess the purpose would be to not take images of confidential stuff you might have a chance to see?? The only other place I've had that happen was going into a courthouse to get a marriage certificate.
shelleydalyce said:
(This is my wife's account, she is the sponsor, I am the PR)

We got down to Buffalo yesterday evening a bit before dark with plans to scope it out (make sure we know where it is, survey parking, etc). Got that done, found a place to stay but obviously did not sleep very well at all last night. We made it to the Tim Horton's below the lobby around 715 and there was already a fair amount of people waiting. The man from the consulate came and rounded everyone up a bit after 7:30, checked us all in gave us visitor passes, and had us take the elevators to the Canadian flag floor between 29 and 31. (30 for those without deductive reasoning skills) They had everyone who had business with the consulate....student visas, entry permits, PR's who needed travel documents , interviews, and whatever else have you all grouped together, so word for the wise when your time comes DO NOT be alarmed by the sheer mass of people that are up there. I had about 15 people in front of me in line for the window and I could overhear everyone of them tell the lady why they were there without really trying to. I think maybe 2 of them were there for PR. Going on....they sporadically called numbers for various things until a bit after 10 then the lady came out and called out a whole pack of PR's all at once. I happened to be standing fairly close to the window talking to the security guard because I was a tad claustrophobic in the very back of the almost standing room only waiting room. I'd say they had barely over half enough chairs for the crowd they had, but I digress......I was standing pretty close to the window anyhow so I was the very first to get my visa. I was out to the car by 10:30. When you go I highly recommend bringing something other than a cell phone to occupy your mind. The security guard there was pretty hard assed about turning the cell phones off and giving them to him.

Afterwards, we went about town did some looking around stores before crossing the Peace Bridge. I drove up to the guard , got asked the standard how long we were in the US, and where we lived. I told him and also told him I needed to land. After that he didn't ask any more questions, not even about did we bring back anything. He just sent me right on inside.

The immigration officer inside was very nice, and all that she asked was.....
Did you check all your info? - referring to the COPR
Have you ever been convicted of a crime?........nope
Have you ever been deported from Canada?.....nope
Do you plan to travel in the next 2 months?.....just to the states by land
Do you have any goods to follow?....Yup, got a list right here. Came prepared.

She did explain getting a SIN card, health card and all that good stuff I already know, but I just let her go on. Initial here and here signature here and here. That was it I was done. I was landed. No "Welcome to Canada." She did say congratulations though, so I'll take it.

Then, it was over to the customs fellow to do my list of goods. He just took my own handwritten list hit it a couple times with his stamp photocopied it and called it good. He didn't use a form or anything. "There is a form but we're not gonna go that route." (his words not mine) Over to the cashier to print out a receipt for 0 dollars and 0 cents to staple onto my goods list so I could use it later as I didn't have any of my goods with me, and I was on my merry way.

In and out of immigration in 5 minutes.....10 at the very worst, and not only that they were actually nice to me this time. Funny how their attitudes change when you're now one of them I suppose. :D

Oh....and by the way E-cas says in process medicals received.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, so much for being proactive with, as someone else on here once put it, "those pesky Buffalonians," huh? ::) They just ignore your offers until months go by and they decide that yes, now's the perfect time to request something that involves a country 5000 miles away. And from the looks of it, it's actually 3 seperate records and if one is a non-resident, then they "must have a representative in Brazil with notarized authorization to request the federal and state police certificates on their behalf." Which would have worked out great when your friends were there. :(

I saw you posted seperately on a new thread and someone who replied said it was possible to do online for her case, but apparently that's becaue the PA in her case is a resident. Was the URL to their webpage on certs in Brazil really the only thing they included in their letter? How long was your wife in Brazil, by the way?
doctorkb said:
Dang, dang, dang, dang!

So, it turns out Buffalo wants a police certificate from Brazil, where my wife did some missions work. Grrr... of course, they couldn't have told us this in MAY when I asked about further documents, nor in AUGUST when I asked again (and had friends going to the country).

Does anyone have any experience with certificates from Brazil? Do you need the state / local certs like it says on http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/central-south-amer/brazil.asp or is the federal one sufficient?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, sorry to hear about the business with the work permit. If you haven't already, do post a new thread so you can get some tips on how to deal with that. I doubt you really have to worry about deportation though.
francohoosier said:
Ugh, I hate to hear all this terrible news, and I really feel for you, kayan. :'(

Yesterday some idiot forgot how to use his brakes and rammed into me, so now my car is in the shop, and my insurance company is clueless on how to handle a claim in Canada, and between that and work and who knows what else, I still haven't had a chance to finish decoding the process to get a new work permit, and thus am still facing possible deportation in T-5 days.

shelleydalyce

Star Member
Oct 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 1, 2011
AOR Received.
July 11, 2011 after an email and some prodding
File Transfer...
March 10, 2011
Med's Done....
November 30, 2010
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
September 6, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
September 13, 2011
LANDED..........
September 13, 2011
francohoosier said:

I was speaking with a guy in Buffalo who was getting his PR. He came over 4 years ago from Sweden with a a work permit. He worked through the permit and stayed on at the same job for a couple years after (overstaying his permit) and he was getting his PR through skilled worker WITH the same job that he'd been working illegally all this time. I don't think deportation is a real worry unless you're actually a criminal of some sort, or you've been refused for something and stayed in.

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
Thanks for your insights. I'm not so much worried about someone knocking down my door as I am just staying legal so that it doesn't affect my admissability or cause delays for my PR. I was refused entry at the border once and ever since then I've been absolutely paranoid about playing by the rules.

I did start another thread awhile back and got no response. :/ I'll get it sorted out eventually, it's just one more frustration to add to the pile.

buffalo-toronto

Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
you guys talk about work permits, I have tried my luck getting a company sponsor me a work permit in the mean time till I get my PR but havn't had any luck. Any tips would be welcome on how to get work permit sponsored or finding a company who will sponsor a work permit.

kayan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buffalo-toronto said:
you guys talk about work permits, I have tried my luck getting a company sponsor me a work permit in the mean time till I get my PR but havn't had any luck. Any tips would be welcome on how to get work permit sponsored or finding a company who will sponsor a work permit.
I don't know if there any tips someone can give you about that. You need to be able to find a company to which you can offer skills that they would not be able to find anywhere else to make it worthwhile for them to go through this process. My husband also tried to find a company who would be willing to get a work permit for him, but had no luck. Some companies were interested in hiring him, but only once he is a PR.

buffalo-toronto

Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
kayan said:
I don't know if there any tips someone can give you about that. You need to be able to find a company to which you can offer skills that they would not be able to find anywhere else to make it worthwhile for them to go through this process. My husband also tried to find a company who would be willing to get a work permit for him, but had no luck. Some companies were interested in hiring him, but only once he is a PR.
same here, I have multiple offers but only when I have my PR which thanks to Buffalo will probably in next decade

amaranth

Oct 31, 2009
Toronto & Buffalo
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Congrats shelleydalyce :D

I've often wondered why, since it's obviously one of the most overburdened offices in the world, why does Buffalo handle so many different kinds of visas? Several months ago, I recall someone posting a link to info showing how many people worked at various visa offices, and Buffalo is one of the highest staffed, yet everything seems so delayed there... Wouldn't it make more sense to have one visa office focus solely on temp visas, making things a little smoother for PR stuff?

I hope that made some sort of sense... I'm well into day 3 of total brain fog.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They need to do an audit of Buffalo so we can have some transparency on these things, although CIC publishes overall numbers on FC/FSW/non-PR cases that it deals with. The only North American VO I've seen an audit report for was Seattle, which was audited a decade ago.
amaranth said:
Congrats shelleydalyce :D

I've often wondered why, since it's obviously one of the most overburdened offices in the world, why does Buffalo handle so many different kinds of visas? Several months ago, I recall someone posting a link to info showing how many people worked at various visa offices, and Buffalo is one of the highest staffed, yet everything seems so delayed there... Wouldn't it make more sense to have one visa office focus solely on temp visas, making things a little smoother for PR stuff?

I hope that made some sort of sense... I'm well into day 3 of total brain fog.