+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for 2017 - Dependent Child sponsorship Applications

raheelpk

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
I have sent application on June 10 to Mississauga office for my son who is on TRP in Canada. Still no reply from them. Anyone else who has sent application in June

tunay

Dec 19, 2015
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-08-2018
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Think you missing the point of my post. OHIP has separate residency requirements that you must meet even if you have a valid card. If you don't meet the residency requirements you are expected to reapply.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
'living in the province' in what status?
assume that the person on TRV, and applied for PR and OWP while in Canada and received OWP 3 months following his/her application and received PR status 10 months following his/her application, and now assume that 12 months has passed from the time of application.
the person :
is physically in ontario for minimum 12 months
holds OWP for last 9 months
holds PR for last 2 months?
And after OWP received the person had a period of full time (11 weeks only) and now working part time for last 2 months....
Can this person get OHIP...
I am afraid cannot....

polar25

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
since i got the decision made and PPR im preparing for the landing of my 2 kids ages 9 and 11. i was wondering if there are any requirements from philippines to bring my kids here in canada as the other parent are not coming (my X wife). Do i have to bring some sort of documents to present to the port of exit and entry and do they need PDOS, DSWD etc....
Thank you in advance

Diana M

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
'living in the province' in what status?
assume that the person on TRV, and applied for PR and OWP while in Canada and received OWP 3 months following his/her application and received PR status 10 months following his/her application, and now assume that 12 months has passed from the time of application.
the person :
is physically in ontario for minimum 12 months
holds OWP for last 9 months
holds PR for last 2 months?
And after OWP received the person had a period of full time (11 weeks only) and now working part time for last 2 months....
Can this person get OHIP...
I am afraid cannot....
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied

• What I understand from this is "living in the province" as visitor that already applied for PR. I might be wrong...someone correct me if I am...

tunay

Dec 19, 2015
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-08-2018
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:

• What I understand from this is "living in the province" as visitor that already applied for PR. I might be wrong...someone correct me if I am...
I thought in the same way you have had "living in the province" as visitor that already applied for PR.
and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
However when we went to Service ontario we have been told that we need to come back with PR. And it was the time we have already done our medical checks.
In my knowledge our application for OHIP should have started when we were having implied status.... ?

Diana M

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
I thought in the same way you have had "living in the province" as visitor that already applied for PR.
and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
However when we went to Service ontario we have been told that we need to come back with PR. And it was the time we have already done our medical checks.
In my knowledge our application for OHIP should have started when we were having implied status.... ?
This is the document that you need:
For applicants for permanent residence
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) letter (IRCC used to be called Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or CIC). The letter must:
    • be on IRCC letterhead, addressed to you as applicant
    • state IRCC has confirmed you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada
  • IRCC document (e.g. work permit, visitor record, temporary resident permit or study permit), with a note confirming all three of the following. You have:
    1. applied for permanent residence
    2. met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence
    3. have not been denied

I already have asked Paris VO for this letter, when i'll receive it I will go to apply for OHIP and let you know how it went :)

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Just got an email today about landing on 25th July...we are traveling 40 days after this date so we may not be able to wait for this late appointment date.
Thanks for the information. We finished landing of my daughter today at Thousand Island bridge. We were earlier planning get landing done at Etobicoke IRCC office but ran into a snag yesterday. We went to Service Ontario at Westdale mall and they refused to process my daughter's OHIP based on COPR. They asked for proof of landing. So we decided to finish landing today itself.

If you want then you can finish landing at Thousand Island, Sarnia or Windsor.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Updated Timeline:

4th Feb: Application reached Sydney
13th March: AOR
20th March: SA, Medical request 1( I didn't get any email and there were no pdfs in my online account)
27th March : Application transferred to Mississauga
28th May: Medical request 2, Additional document request ( Sponsor's residency)
31st May: Additional documents sent to Mississauga through emails.
4th June: Medical exam taken, eMedical results sent to IRCC same day, proof of Medical completion uploaded to Online account.
6th June: Online account shows Medical exam passed
23rd June: Invitation to pre-arrival services, additional documents are being reviewed, eCAS shows "Decision Made"
27th June: Passport Copy ( visa exempt) delivered.
11th July: Application approved.
12th July: Return tracker activated
15th July: received COPR, OHIP refused
16th July: Landed at thousand islands bridge.

Reactions: naresh78

mathew.robn

Feb 22, 2016
Thanks for the information. We finished landing of my daughter today at Thousand Island bridge. We were earlier planning get landing done at Etobicoke IRCC office but ran into a snag yesterday. We went to Service Ontario at Westdale mall and they refused to process my daughter's OHIP based on COPR. They asked for proof of landing. So we decided to finish landing today itself.

If you want then you can finish landing at Thousand Island, Sarnia or Windsor.
Hi Thanks for the information. Do we not need any appointments or such at Thousand Island Sarnia or Windsor? My son does not have a US visa at the moment. Will that be a challenge to complete the landing? Do they do landings on weekends? I have also written back to the Etobicoke landing email ID to check if they can process the PR card on an urgent basis if we decide to land on 25th and waiting to hear back from them. Based on what information we get back we can work out our next steps.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi Thanks for the information. Do we not need any appointments or such at Thousand Island Sarnia or Windsor? My son does not have a US visa at the moment. Will that be a challenge to complete the landing? Do they do landings on weekends? I have also written back to the Etobicoke landing email ID to check if they can process the PR card on an urgent basis if we decide to land on 25th and waiting to hear back from them. Based on what information we get back we can work out our next steps.
No. You don't need any appointment for flagpoling. I know that 1000 island is 24 by 7 but you might want to check hours at Windor and Sarnia crossings.

Visa is not required for flagpoling. You will just go to USA checkpoint and tell them that you want to flagpole to activate your son's PR. They will take your passports, ask you to park in front of CBP office and go inside. Your name will be called and you will be given an administrative refusal. This administrative refusal does not go in CBP records and has no bearing on future US visa applications. Once you have administrative refusal letter you will be asked to make a U-turn to Canadian checkpost.

shikamara

Jun 12, 2019
I need your advice please..
My husband sponsor our daughter who born outside Canada they received application March 13 2019.. send us eligibility of sponsor July. 11 2019 . Till now no medical request has been sent .l called Cic they told me that first step only has finished and the file still in Canada .she told me that the process may take one year and advised me to apply for trv .. I really don't know what to do .. I want my son to begin the scholar year in Canada and I cannot travel with him and leave the baby girl me and my son and my husband are pr

Diana M

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
I need your advice please..
My husband sponsor our daughter who born outside Canada they received application March 13 2019.. send us eligibility of sponsor July. 11 2019 . Till now no medical request has been sent .l called Cic they told me that first step only has finished and the file still in Canada .she told me that the process may take one year and advised me to apply for trv .. I really don't know what to do .. I want my son to begin the scholar year in Canada and I cannot travel with him and leave the baby girl me and my son and my husband are pr
Hi... as the call center agent advise you, apply for TRV for your daughter so all of you can travel in Canada together. :)

swash110

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
Hello guys , I need to ask about sponsorship forms.

1. In IMM5406 (Aditional Family Information) , my dependent child is the principle applicant then this form will be filled by me on his behalf. I am confused about should this form will be filled by me and my wife as well ?? Means will I be submitting three copies of this form one from principle applicant (i-e my dependent child) and two forms from me and my wife?

2. Since my child has no dependent child of his own , therefore IMM 1283 is not applicable on me. Am i rite ?

3. Who will sign below form
A) IMM5536 (Authorization to disclose information form )
B) IMM5546 (Details of Military service form )

3. My child is only 15 months old and he doesn't have National Identity Card yet , he only has passport as his official ID .So in country specific requirements it say "Identity and civil status documents issued by Pakistan: Documents must bear the name of the applicant, and be endorsed by the government authority responsible for issuance in the district in which the event took place"
Which document should I submit ? Should me and my wife also submit copy of NIC along with application.

Last edited: