+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Those who plan to land soon...please please research hard!!

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
After 11 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week. Yes its a good news, notwithstanding the enormous pressure me and my wife had to go through after landing. In fact, by Oct end we had just 500 dollars as balance in our account, and was almost on the verge of returning back to Dubai. Despite my mid to senior management experience, spanning over 9 years in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% of the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And its very important how you convince them on that!!! Hence I decided to share a few words of advice for all those excited people out there, who are planning their landing soon!!

Relocating and settling in Canada works in a totally different way. Every case is different and it all depends on your Present Situation and Your needs. Please do remember "You are migrating to a new place - On the hopes of Better Life, not for a adjusting or compromising life". It is not related to your qualifications, or experience - the system is Different NOT Difficult, which cannot be explained by writing. Everyone has to come to Canadian Loop to understand and enjoy this.

Because immigrants are welcomed, Canada has so many immigrants, ironically, you may actually find you are competing with many of your country men/women even when you get here. In kind of a twisted way: you are not really a "minority" and will find it just as difficult, if not more difficult. Canadian employers will not be jumping up and down because you have had overseas experience - so many people here have that. So, in and of itself, your experience just being overseas will not necessarily "seal the deal".

Also, when one examines everything you have to wonder why people want to focus mostly on Toronto. Alberta has the lowest unemployment rate in the world (4.3%) right now and trying to find a job is very easy. While there are 100,000 jobs in Alberta that are seeking workers, there is still a labor shortage mainly because of the baby boomers who have retired creating this drain on the labor market.

I would encourage anyone who wants to come to Canada to first get trained in a vocation that is in demand (become a welder, a pipe fitter, a mechanic) anything with a trade. A Journeyman Welder can earn $46.00 per hour anywhere in Alberta but a dentist can't find employment. Drivers of heavy equipment earn $150,000 a year working in the oil industry. So find out which jobs are most in demand and get trained in one of those fields and don't stay stuck on finding employment in your field of certification. LEARN A NEW SKILL.............reinvent yourself first.

So do your research, before choosing Toronto, and my suggestion - make a full research till you get tired, identify needs, try to get a proper Job / Specified income which you are ready to accept - then you can enjoy your stay in Canada.

Careful with your qualifications and/or experience - depending - may nor be transferable to Canada. .Many certificates and/or uni degrees are not recognized here. Your expertise may enable you to move here - but your "paper" or "transcript" etc may not be transferable here.....

Having priorities set with no high hopes is the rational way of making a move if you want it reflecting positively on your, and your next generation's, future - especially when it comes to migrating. Disappointment and desperation are the only things you'd get if you've set your expectations too high, and this is commonly happening to those who end up moving without prior research.

While awaiting for your visa visa, its very important you research a lot, what's in demand, market dynamics in your field, alternates and local skills that you need to acquire there. This is something everyone of us should be aware of before the much awaited 'LANDING'.

Take as much funds with you as possible, not just the minimum suggested by CIC. I would suggest that you take at least savings for the first one year. Be prepared for a change in lifestyle. Try adapting to the Canadian lifestyle. Start building professional network even before the time you land. Times have changed and social media has evolved rapidly.world has shrunk - try LinkedIn(don't ask for jobs directly, they'll throw you out of their network, rather your profile should be strong enough to impress).

Ensure English (or French) and other skill sets are up to snuff. In many areas of the country (particularly urban), you would be speaking with others all speaking English or French with their own accents (not necessarily Canadian origin). And so proficiency is almost more important than ever since you will be hearing the languages spoken so differently by so many different people with so many different backgrounds... the plus side is most people here will have heard English (and French) spoken with your accent - but not necessarily the other way around?

Repurpose your application and resume for each job you apply for rather than a broad brushstroke. Start reading job boards, job descriptions and essential equirements, this should give you an idea of what background a Canadian employer seeks from candidates.

The list can go on, and on, so prepare yourself mentally to face these challenges.

That being said, I feel privileged to live here so far..and I love Canada :)

samar123

Jan 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2011
AOR Received.
08-06-2011
File Transfer...
11-07-2011 In process: 8-6-2012
Med's Request
14-7-2012
Med's Done....
6-8-2012 Delivered to LVO: 21-8-12
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1: 15-3-2013 PPR2: 25-3-2013
First of all congrats on finding full time job.Its the Wonderful post and value able suggestions. Its a great work from your side to encourage people in such a positive way rather then discouraging them and telling them dnt come to Canada (i remember some posts).
I really appreciate that you took some time and write for all of us who are planing to land and obviously have some fears in our heart and mind of new place as it is never so easy to leave your home land and get settled in a new land, but with the help of people like you its seems bit easy and relaxing.
Keep it up this positive attitude and be a light for others.
I wish u all the best for your life.

AWBhatti1978

Jul 2, 2011
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2011
Doc's Request.
Not till this moment
Nomination.....
None
Thanks for the sharing the nice information.

Stay blessed

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi MasterBlaster,
Congratulation !! well written

"After 11 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week........................................................That being said, I feel privileged to live here so far..and I love Canada" :)

hmisabpk

satnak

Jul 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2010
AOR Received.
- CIO...: Aug 2010 NDVO...:Jan 2011
Med's Done....
April 01, 2013 MR Line....: April 14, 2013
Congrats for your Job
and
Thanks for sharing your experience.!

aydamoni

Oct 29, 2012
Hi Master Blaster, you really rock for scooping out the real fact. Your post has triggered me to intensify my researching on job market.

Are you in Calgary? I am going through news on labour market information, could you please share some more detail information on the labour market information. I believe your perspective might be closer to understand it.

Thanks once again

shaddy

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
21-09-2010
AOR Received.
21-09-2010
IELTS Request
19-01-2012
Med's Request
22-06-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2012
Passport Req..
05-02-2013
MASTERBLASTER
thank you very much for the detail information.please shield more light on housing and its cost.

hopeful4

Sep 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2007
Doc's Request.
10-3-2010
AOR Received.
18-1-2008
IELTS Request
10-3-2010
File Transfer...
17-5-2012
Med's Request
18-3-2013
Med's Done....
21-3-2013
Passport Req..
16-4-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-4-2013
LANDED..........
June-July 2013
I wonder why you almost had to go back to Dubai,,,,,does not Canada provide welfare for those who can not find work?
ALmost noone can live on saved funds for one year ,,,,taking into consideration how expensive canada is,,,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hopeful4 said:
I wonder why you almost had to go back to Dubai,,,,,does not Canada provide welfare for those who can not find work?
ALmost noone can live on saved funds for one year ,,,,taking into consideration how expensive canada is,,,
Welfare isn't very much money. You can barely live on it.

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
Congratulations Masterblaster!

That was an excellent, information-packed, highly readable and well written post! A lot of precious advice in one single post....

A must-read for anyone looking to for a smooth "landing" in Canada.

Thank you and keep posting ....

Just one thing, yes, lot of jobs available in the Western Provinces, but the weather ... OMG ???

Toronto is a great city with a great reputation ... and they have the Maple Leafs ... some day they´ll win the Stanley Cup again!!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
hopeful4 said:
Hopeful: The reason for Proof of Funds in the FSW stream is that there is no safety net. One is admitted to Canada on the basis of being able to support yourself.

hopeful4

Sep 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2007
Doc's Request.
10-3-2010
AOR Received.
18-1-2008
IELTS Request
10-3-2010
File Transfer...
17-5-2012
Med's Request
18-3-2013
Med's Done....
21-3-2013
Passport Req..
16-4-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-4-2013
LANDED..........
June-July 2013
Pippin said:
Hopeful: The reason for Proof of Funds in the FSW stream is that there is no safety net. One is admitted to Canada on the basis of being able to support yourself.
Yes off course but those funds are only enough for 3 months . Afterwards you should be eligible for welfare if you do not find work.
THere are also some fixed government assets like child benefits. And you can always ask for a loan to study,,,,,

I only have funds for 6 months,,,,this is why I need to know what happens later if I did not find work *we are a family of 3, 1 child 2 years old)
please give me your opinion

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
hopeful4 said:
Yes off course but those funds are only enough for 3 months . Afterwards you should be eligible for welfare if you do not find work.
THere are also some fixed government assets like child benefits. And you can always ask for a loan to study,,,,,

I only have funds for 6 months,,,,this is why I need to know what happens later if I did not find work *we are a family of 3, 1 child 2 years old)
please give me your opinion
Buddy...its my sincere request that you please ensure to have at least one year savings with you. Of course you can avail of child benefits, study loans etc., but what will you do for daily living if your savings runs out? We were almost in that situation of life, but luckily I could land on some job as a start-up.

A smart would be that you do the landing first, try finding a job, and then bring your family later to Canada.

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
aydamoni said:
Hi Master Blaster, you really rock for scooping out the real fact. Your post has triggered me to intensify my researching on job market.

Are you in Calgary? I am going through news on labour market information, could you please share some more detail information on the labour market information. I believe your perspective might be closer to understand it.

Thanks once again
Hi,

I am currently based in Toronto, although I had plans on relocating to Calgary/Edmonton.

My evaluation was primarily centered around the job market in Toronto. People must have the west as a backup as the situation in Toronto is really depressing. The real problem is that there is no proper demographic distribution happening in Canada. 70% of the population live at the US border.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
hmisabpk

Thanks God

How much all these 11 months of unemployment cost you in Toronto?
You studied there to get this job, any academic education after landing?