+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This or That. What to/what not to carry In-Flight from India to Canada?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with you regarding the points you've made. But I also must say that it is convenient too to carry some items for a few weeks when you are new in that place. Also, the Airlines have confirmed that we can carry 2 pieces of 23 Kgs each which means the two of us can have 4 bags up to a total of 92 Kgs for FREE; that's way too much for just clothes and medicines and candies :) Also, we have already saved a few dollars (I am sure about it) by carrying these essentials. The airlines have also confirmed that WE CAN carry these items.
Then just do not forget to pack the water and salt as well.

Anyway, if you go for the price different items, go for those where the price difference is more significant.

Eg:
92 kg of rice will give you total saving of maybe 40 - 50 CAD in total (if you would pass immigration without problems as the plants parts which rice is can be blocked and confiscated by customs.)
92 kg of clothes, PC, small appliances (like mobile or Ipod) - the price difference there will be much more significant (500 to 1000 CAD). And you will not have problems with customs since they will be your own belongings.

So you are kind of trying to save on the wrong place.
Essential items and high value items shall have priority against low value items.

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
Then just do not forget to pack the water and salt as well.

Anyway, if you go for the price different items, go for those where the price difference is more significant.

Eg:
92 kg of rice will give you total saving of maybe 40 - 50 CAD in total (if you would pass immigration without problems as the plants parts which rice is can be blocked and confiscated by customs.)
92 kg of clothes, PC, small appliances (like mobile or Ipod) - the price difference there will be much more significant (500 to 1000 CAD). And you will not have problems with customs since they will be your own belongings.

So you are kind of trying to save on the wrong place.
Essential items and high value items shall have priority against low value items.
I'd carry an empty bottle, pass the security check and fill the bottle anywhere at the airport later. You're welcome :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree with you regarding the points you've made. But I also must say that it is convenient too to carry some items for a few weeks when you are new in that place. Also, the Airlines have confirmed that we can carry 2 pieces of 23 Kgs each which means the two of us can have 4 bags up to a total of 92 Kgs for FREE; that's way too much for just clothes and medicines and candies :) Also, we have already saved a few dollars (I am sure about it) by carrying these essentials. The airlines have also confirmed that WE CAN carry these items.
You'd be surprised that when you're actually doing a Transfer of Residence from one country to another..... 23Kgs x 2 pieces of checked-in baggage.... is nothing.... even after several trips back-and-forth carting things/shipping things by sea (and no, this did not include any groceries, salt, sugar and the like).

But then as you've already decided to bring sugar, rice, salt, and groceries, you know best what will work for you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You missed out what you carry as hand baggage, so the total weight will be more than 92 kgs.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
There is no way they will let rice in. Even the rice sold here sometimes has bugs and stuff in it, biohazards. Grain products are only allowed, if they are processed or cooked, such as bread. I bring bread from my home country frequently. I came with three pieces of luggage back in the day, and there is no way it would have fit bulk foods... But to each their own. I would rather worry about bringing enough proper clothes and shoes, April can still be cold on the coldest days.

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
There is no way they will let rice in. Even the rice sold here sometimes has bugs and stuff in it, biohazards. Grain products are only allowed, if they are processed or cooked, such as bread. I bring bread from my home country frequently. I came with three pieces of luggage back in the day, and there is no way it would have fit bulk foods... But to each their own. I would rather worry about bringing enough proper clothes and shoes, April can still be cold on the coldest days.
It's not just about rice. We are talking about a few daily need essentials that we will need initially. We are renting a room with attached kitchen, so it only makes more sense. Yes, we are carrying a lot of clothes too.

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016