+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This or That. What to/what not to carry In-Flight from India to Canada?

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
This I guess is a general query every immigrating Indian will have, like us! We (me and wife) are moving to Canada on April 19 from Mumbai Airport through connecting flights with Korean Air and Air Canada. We have started packing our bags, buying stuffs and a lot lot more to be done (apart from meeting relatives for goodbyes and feasts!). I read through several threads about things that we will need in Canada for the first few weeks or month. But most threads are a year or older. If anyone has come across a fresher thread, please, please share it here. If not,

1. What do you suggest we carry for the first few months of our stay in Toronto? We are booking through Airbnb for a month.
2. Can we pack pickles, oil, rice, sugar, salt, and other cooking/kitchen/bathroom essentials in the baggage?
3. What would you keep in your priority list of must-carry items?
4. Any thing else that helps?

Please share your experiences and educate and inform newbies like me; your time, I am sure, will be appreciated by all. TIA

PS. We'll both be jobless, we don't know for how long!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would avoid all food products. Some foods are not allowed into Canada.

If you do bring food products, make sure you declare that you have them on the customs form.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As Scylla has said do not bring any food with you and if you do ensure you declare all food else you could face a fine or have the food items confiscated. Surprisingly oil, rice, sugar , salt are all available in Canada so there is absolutely no reason to bring any food just buy it when you arrive.

Reactions: scylla

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As mentioned by scylla and Bs65:
Do not bring any food.... pickles, milk products, Indian sweets that contain milk, meats/meat products and the like are a big no-no.

Everything is available in Canada. Not sure why you want to bring the essentials like sugar, salt, rice and groceries. You can check out Asian/Indian stores or even Walmart/Costco etc to get the basics

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also keep in mind that sugar, salt, oil, etc. are very heavy and you only have so much allowed weight for your luggage. Very easy to buy in Canada...

Reactions: Bryanna

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
You wouldn't want carry all that through customs only to be flagged by CBSA and obviously bringing food into the country will result in a fine which could be over $1000 that you'd have to pay.

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
You wouldn't want carry all that through customs only to be flagged by CBSA and obviously bringing food into the country will result in a fine which could be over $1000 that you'd have to pay.
But I have read on other threads about people suggesting carrying these items, at least to support for the first weeks/month. I am assuming they said so because they already did take these. Isn't it?

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
As mentioned by scylla and Bs65:
Do not bring any food.... pickles, milk products, Indian sweets that contain milk, meats/meat products and the like are a big no-no.

Everything is available in Canada. Not sure why you want to bring the essentials like sugar, salt, rice and groceries. You can check out Asian/Indian stores or even Walmart/Costco etc to get the basics
But does that mean it is not allowed/restricted in the luggage/baggage?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
But I have read on other threads about people suggesting carrying these items, at least to support for the first weeks/month. I am assuming they said so because they already did take these. Isn't it?
It's quite out-of-place to bring salt, rice, oil and regular groceries to get you through the initial few months :)

You would need to keep in mind the baggage allowance on Korean Air.
It's a risk to carry pickles and oil.... think of a spillage in your luggage

Last edited:

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Its very cheap to buy groceries like cooking oil and what not. You can go to Walmart or even Dollar Store to get these.

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
Thanks Bryanna for the list. I read through everything and few other websites. Here's the abstract (for travelers from India to Canada):
1. Only Fresh Fruits and fresh meat are not allowed. Also garden plants are restricted.
2. Milk & milk products should be avoided too. (Cheese, butter, skim milk). We can carry milk condiments though.
3. Oil & Oiled food products should be avoided (just to prevent spillage)
4. Yes, we can carry almost anything that's packed/processed up to 20 kilograms. We must declare these to the officers at the Port of Entry (Airport Security Checks)

In-flight to Canada, we get a Declaration form where we need to declare everything that's there in the luggage. Stay Honest and there'l be no issue. Worst case, they'll not allow these items for you to carry home. But they'll not fine you (unless it's something illegal that you are carrying).

I hope this information helps others too. Please, please do correct if anything's wrong with what I've read and understood.

Reactions: Mihir Joshi

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
If you are landing in Vancouver, they have just changed to electronic declaration machines so you will actually do that after you have landed. And you will get to a special queue for new immigrants (apart from the one for citizens and visitors)

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok,
So it has 0 sence to bring cheap food products which you will end up overpaying by additional luggage weight.
Essential stuff:
1. documents and translated documents - birth certificate, school diplomas, driving licence, your IELTS test results, vaccination sheet for children (if you have such thing), any health history (for the dentist and the family doctor)...
2. Mobile phone (just check if it is working under local networks), notebook PC - with that you will only need a SIM Card to start the job search.
3. Some clothes, they shall include one good looking set for interview (it may take a bit to get something you like) and depending on the time of the year some essential seasonal clothes
4. Medicaments if any of you needs them at the time (again first few days might be demanding so that you will not run out of it before you hit the walk in clinic or a proper drug store).
5. basics like toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant... (but nothing beyond what you would take for a 2 weeks holiday).

Everything else is optional and it will be more up to you to take what has nostalgic value for you. 20kg seems to be a lot, except your empty luggage already weights some nice 4-5 kg. So in reality it is not that much.

If ever you will go for any food (in case you have friends and are bringing some gifts), go only for commercially packed non perishable food (like some candies, chocolate, chips or crackers). Those are rather harmless and once you declare them there should be no problem with it.

bishgop

Star Member
May 30, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2016
Doc's Request.
03-12-2016
Nomination.....
17-12-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
Medicals Passed
Ok,
So it has 0 sence to bring cheap food products which you will end up overpaying by additional luggage weight.
Essential stuff:
1. documents and translated documents - birth certificate, school diplomas, driving licence, your IELTS test results, vaccination sheet for children (if you have such thing), any health history (for the dentist and the family doctor)...
2. Mobile phone (just check if it is working under local networks), notebook PC - with that you will only need a SIM Card to start the job search.
3. Some clothes, they shall include one good looking set for interview (it may take a bit to get something you like) and depending on the time of the year some essential seasonal clothes
4. Medicaments if any of you needs them at the time (again first few days might be demanding so that you will not run out of it before you hit the walk in clinic or a proper drug store).
5. basics like toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant... (but nothing beyond what you would take for a 2 weeks holiday).

Everything else is optional and it will be more up to you to take what has nostalgic value for you. 20kg seems to be a lot, except your empty luggage already weights some nice 4-5 kg. So in reality it is not that much.

If ever you will go for any food (in case you have friends and are bringing some gifts), go only for commercially packed non perishable food (like some candies, chocolate, chips or crackers). Those are rather harmless and once you declare them there should be no problem with it.
I agree with you regarding the points you've made. But I also must say that it is convenient too to carry some items for a few weeks when you are new in that place. Also, the Airlines have confirmed that we can carry 2 pieces of 23 Kgs each which means the two of us can have 4 bags up to a total of 92 Kgs for FREE; that's way too much for just clothes and medicines and candies :) Also, we have already saved a few dollars (I am sure about it) by carrying these essentials. The airlines have also confirmed that WE CAN carry these items.

Reactions: Mihir Joshi