+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This is a change

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Based on my reading it shouldn’t impact during PGWP just during studies although SOWP is never guaranteed. How do others interpret?
The statement made clear that no SOWPs for study permits unless Masters/Phd students but didn’t clarify if elgible when person gets PGWP. More information needs to be be released to clarify as it states “in the coming weeks”. Maybe IRCC will reintroduce having a TEER 0-3 job to be eligible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The statement made clear that no SOWPs for study permits unless Masters/Phd students but didn’t clarify if elgible when person gets PGWP. More information needs to be be released to clarify as it states “in the coming weeks”. Maybe IRCC will reintroduce having a TEER 0-3 job to be eligible.
I interpreted that as PGWP would remain the same. Still not guaranteed SOWP especially if newly married but if working SOWP would be allowed. The issues are not the same for SOWP for international students versus PGWP holders who are working. Assume the goal was not to have international students come to Canada so their spouses can secure an SOWP.

Techwhiz95

Sep 17, 2019
Little confused with the whole who does not require attestation letter aspect. I got admitted into Seneca's Global Business Management Program (2 Years) which on the offer letter states it is an Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program. Will I require an attestation letter? Will I be eligible for a PGWP?

If anyone could answer this it would really be helpful as I start in May 2024

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
So they also announced that some short graduate courses (I'm taking these to be post graduate diplomas, certificates) will be getting a 3 year pgwp. I was just about to apply for a study permit extension for a second one year course but if this changes get implemented I might gave to revert to a pgwp application.

Today's announcements really caught folks off guard. Let's watch how the next few weeks unfold as they make these points clear.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
So they also announced that some short graduate courses (I'm taking these to be post graduate diplomas, certificates) will be getting a 3 year pgwp. I was just about to apply for a study permit extension for a second one year course but if this changes get implemented I might gave to revert to a pgwp application.

Today's announcements really caught folks off guard. Let's watch how the next few weeks unfold as they make these points clear.
It shouldn’t have caught anyone off guard really. It was percolating for awhile . Far longer than it should have. The status quo couldn’t really continue . And to put in bluntly, students can’t vote . Election is next year. Citizens can. It’s attempting to appease them, their discontent with policy

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Little confused with the whole who does not require attestation letter aspect. I got admitted into Seneca's Global Business Management Program (2 Years) which on the offer letter states it is an Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program. Will I require an attestation letter? Will I be eligible for a PGWP?

If anyone could answer this it would really be helpful as I start in May 2024
You require an attestation letter.

You will qualify for a PGWP

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
It shouldn’t have caught anyone off guard really. It was percolating for awhile . Far longer than it should have. The status quo couldn’t really continue . And to put in bluntly, students can’t vote . Election is next year. Citizens can. It’s attempting to appease them, their discontent with policy
They have said that "soon" Graduates of master’s and other short graduate-level programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. I wonder how soon is soon enough coz my one year graduate certificate ends in April

Jan 22, 2024
They have said that "soon" Graduates of master’s and other short graduate-level programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. I wonder how soon is soon enough coz my one year graduate certificate ends in April
Same. Btw, I just want to be sure about PG certificates or diplomas are included on this.

kathyberone

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
The are "short graduate level" programs so they qualify. My major concern is what "soon" refers to. It would have been kind of him to furnish us with an actual date
I don’t think so. Graduate level are programs that award DEGREES, which means masters and phd. post graduate certificates are not degrees and they are not the same as going to graduate school. When they say short graduate level they probably mean the 1 year master degrees in my opinion.

Jan 22, 2024
I don’t think so. Graduate level are programs that award DEGREES, which means masters and phd. post graduate certificates are not degrees and they are not the same as going to graduate school. When they say short graduate level they probably mean the 1 year master degrees in my opinion.
So a 1 year master degree isn't just a master? That's the degree you get after you complete it, it just says "Master's degree" not "one year master degree". Even though its length is one year, it's not a short graduate-level program, it's a master.

Reactions: SasaBasi

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
So a 1 year master degree isn't just a master? That's the degree you get after you complete it, it just says "Master's degree" not "one year master degree". Even though its length is one year, it's not a short graduate-level program, it's a master.
I think this all stands to speculation. Let's wait and see whether the government will come out clear with what they meant. And also give specific dates upon which these policies will be implemented

Reactions: blueberrymuffin93

kathyberone

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
That’s not the point. The point is that, at least in ontario, the Ontario College Graduate Certificate is a pathway for diploma students to access Graduate Studies (masters and phd). You don’t need a bachelor degree to be accepted in a Graduate Certificate program, and sometimes you don’t even need a college diploma but work experience will get you in. These programs are not Graduate Level. You can’t go from College Diploma to Masters, but if you do a College Graduate Certificate, which is a pathway, you can. Some shady colleges are using the term “graduate studies” to refer to this kind of program, but to be a graduate studies program you need at least a bachelor degree and these are open to diploma students.

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
That’s not the point. The point is that, at least in ontario, the Ontario College Graduate Certificate is a pathway for diploma students to access Graduate Studies (masters and phd). You don’t need a bachelor degree to be accepted in a Graduate Certificate program, and sometimes you don’t even need a college diploma but work experience will get you in. These programs are not Graduate Level. You can’t go from College Diploma to Masters, but if you do a College Graduate Certificate, which is a pathway, you can. Some shady colleges are using the term “graduate studies” to refer to this kind of program, but to be a graduate studies program you need at least a bachelor degree and these are open to diploma students.
I ask again, what is an example of a "short graduate level program" that is not a masters?

Reactions: blueberrymuffin93