+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The two week processing for working permit (postdoc)

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
Actually, I have not received my police certificatee yet:) I just applied the FBI police certificate then scan all the materials for the application, and upload the application materials to my account, and severals days later, my visa application got approved without a formal police certificate arrived.
That is interesting! Thanks for your response! :)

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
Hi,

I'm also applying for a work permit for Canada to work at the University of York as a postdoc and I'm also confused about if I'm eligible or not for two-weeks processing.

At the University they are preparing my work offer for 2 years and they will use the Employer Portal and give me an ID for my work permit application so, I think I meet the requirements of the official website:

They are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt and:
  • they are applying from outside Canada;
  • the job is employer-specific and either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) of the National Occupation Classification; and
  • you have submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
However, my supervisor and I have doubts about if this two-weeks processing is only applicable to postdocs in "key priority areas" such as medicine or science... and we are afraid that my area of study, Roman History, won't be a high priority...

Do you know if they take into account this kind of things to process the work permit in two-weeks or not? Is there any way to know at the beginning of the process if it will be two weeks or we just have to wait and see?

Thanks for the help!

casliupeng

Sep 15, 2017
Hi,

I'm also applying for a work permit for Canada to work at the University of York as a postdoc and I'm also confused about if I'm eligible or not for two-weeks processing.

At the University they are preparing my work offer for 2 years and they will use the Employer Portal and give me an ID for my work permit application so, I think I meet the requirements of the official website:

They are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt and:
  • they are applying from outside Canada;
  • the job is employer-specific and either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) of the National Occupation Classification; and
  • you have submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
However, my supervisor and I have doubts about if this two-weeks processing is only applicable to postdocs in "key priority areas" such as medicine or science... and we are afraid that my area of study, Roman History, won't be a high priority...

Do you know if they take into account this kind of things to process the work permit in two-weeks or not? Is there any way to know at the beginning of the process if it will be two weeks or we just have to wait and see?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,
I would just recommend you to have a try. Because the only difference between normal processing and two week processing on my experience
is that you write it down in the explain letter, that's really important. Through online application, there is no special pre-determined entry for
two week processing. But if you write it down in the explain letter, the officer will read your explain letter and he will determine whether you
belongs to two week processing or not. That's all my personal suggestion. Good luck!

TeeEm

Feb 10, 2018
Hi,
I would just recommend you to have a try. Because the only difference between normal processing and two week processing on my experience
is that you write it down in the explain letter, that's really important. Through online application, there is no special pre-determined entry for
two week processing. But if you write it down in the explain letter, the officer will read your explain letter and he will determine whether you
belongs to two week processing or not. That's all my personal suggestion. Good luck!
Hi. Thanks for your very informative thread. I am in a similar situation and wanted to find if you answered YES or NO for the initial question regarding "do you intend to work in any of the following categories?". In other words, if I select NO and then provide all the required documents and in the Letter of Explanation request for the 2-week processing, then will it work? Really trying to gain clarity on this and your reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks
TeeEm

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
Hi! In my case I answered NO to that question and in my Letter of Explanation I explained my situation (postdoc for two years in a Canadian university) and at the end I ask to be considered for the two weeks processing.

Apparently all documents were correct and as I was applying from Spain (no need of criminal records, medical exam, biometrics) I got my visa in just one week! This happened in January.

Good luck with your application!

Reactions: TeeEm

TeeEm

Feb 10, 2018
Hi! In my case I answered NO to that question and in my Letter of Explanation I explained my situation (postdoc for two years in a Canadian university) and at the end I ask to be considered for the two weeks processing.

Apparently all documents were correct and as I was applying from Spain (no need of criminal records, medical exam, biometrics) I got my visa in just one week! This happened in January.

Good luck with your application!
Thank you. I guess. I will go ahead and answer NO as well. Thanks a lot!!!

TeeEm

Feb 10, 2018
Any idea on whether the same applies for a simultaneous spousal open work permit too? (SOWP) Thank you :)

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
In contrast to the suggestion here (which I discovered after submitting my application), I did not write anything about my desire for two-weeks processing. I got passport request on the 6th day after application. I guess they know which application deserves the two-weeks processing.

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
In contrast to the suggestion here (which I discovered after submitting my application), I did not write anything about my desire for two-weeks processing. I got passport request on the 6th day after application. I guess they know which application deserves the two-weeks processing.
Yes, I think that if you are eligible for two weeks processing they will apply it to you even if you don't mention it in your letter of explanation. Anyway, I think that it worth mentioning it just in case. I guess they receive so many petitions so by mentioning it you can make sure that they don't "forget" to apply it by mistake.

Reactions: maplenow

Mm1362

Jul 7, 2018
i have a 2 year postdoc and have already applied for visa. i live in denmark but not danish citizen. my application is processed in uk visa office. it is more than 3 weeks now and still no updates. it seems i am eligible for 2 weeks.
why is it delayed? does 2 weeks really work for those who are eligible?

Mm1362

Jul 7, 2018
It just says it is in progress and background check!! I sent all necessary documents online. I sent a complete package. I have traveled to Canada 4 times in past with visitor visa and currently I have 5 year Canada visitor visa in my passport. I have done most of my education in North European countries and have 2 and half year work experience in Denmark. It seems everything about my background is ok. But still 2 weeks processing week did not apply to me. It could be due to my nationality which always created issues for me!

The only document I did not send was the Police certificate from my own country as it takes ages to get it. But they also did not ask for a police certificate anyway. I still sent the Danish police certificate and explained in explanation letter that I have already applied for police certificate from my country and wait to get it.

What else can cause delays in my visa processing time. My postdoc in Canada starts first of August! I also contacted CIC and explained my situation, so far no response!

Mm1362

Jul 7, 2018
Marta: Can I know from which country did you apply from and when?

Also, did you send police certificate with your application or did they ask for it?

How about medical exam?

Last edited:

MartaFerCo

Dec 21, 2017
I applied from Spain and I didn't need to send any medical exam, biometrics or backround check. I think this is the reason of the rapid response I had (only one week). The timeline of my application was this (I think that you can find more people's timelines in the link I posted before):

15th Feb. Application sent and payment confirmation in few hours.
16th Feb. I got the application number and they started processing it.
22th Feb. My application and the application of my common-law partner were approved.

I know how frustating can be the process, especially if you have to start the job in short. It took quite long to my university to send me the code of the offer and although when it arrived and I applied, my applicaton was ready in only a week, it was so stressfull time for me. I was thinking all the time about my application, if it was correct or not, if I should have written a different explanation letter, send more documents... too much pressure. But everything was ok at the end.

I think that if they have already checked your backgrounds, it shouldn't take too much to be approved... If you read the experience of other posdocs, for some of them took longer than others but they finally got it. So, if you have sent everything correctly (and it seems you did, as they have already checked your backgrounds) I think that you only have to wait to get the response. Maybe summertime is more busy time for them and that the reason of the delay.

I hope that you can get the positive response soon. Good luck!