+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The two week processing for working permit (postdoc)

casliupeng

Sep 15, 2017
Hello, I have lived in the US as a J1 visa and will move to University of Alberta as a postdoc, I read a website that maybe I can benefits from the two week processing for working permit. The link for the explanation is: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/gss.asp
My current offer letter gives me 1 year position. Through the web link above, I do can enjoy the two week processing, however, when I did the questionnaire, when I want to answer following question:

Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?Athletes and coachesAviation accident or incident investigatorsBusiness visitorsCivil aviation inspectorsClergyConvention organizersCrew membersEmergency service providersExaminers and evaluatorsExpert witnesses or investigatorsFamily members of foreign representativesForeign government officersForeign representativesHealth-care students Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)Judges, referees and similar officialsMilitary personnelNews reporters, film and media crewsPerforming artistsPublic speakers

I want to choose Global Skills Strategy, however, the explanation of Global Skills Strategy is:
Eligibility for researchers
You will come to Canada as a researcher:
• at a public degree-granting institution or affiliated research institution
• who will work for 120 or fewer consecutive days
• who has not worked in Canada under this exemption in the last 12 months

This seems a contradiction which rather confuses me. My supervisor asked the immigration department in our university, they do say that I can enjoy two-week processing.
My question is: How can I enjoy the two-week processing? It seems that there is no option to let me select.
Should I also choose the Global Skills Strategy? Thanks.

Who is eligible for two-week processing

There are two ways your worker can qualify for two-week processing.

1. They are Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt and:
    • they are applying from outside Canada;
    • the job is employer-specific and either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) of the National Occupation Classification; and
    • you have submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
    OR

2. You have a positive LMIA for an employer-specific job which has indicated eligibility though the Global Talent Stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Spouses and dependents
The spouse/common-law partner and dependents of the worker are also eligible for two-week processing. They must apply at the same time as the worker.

How your worker can get two-week processing
To benefit from faster processing times, after you have submitted a letter of offer, the worker must:

• apply online from outside of Canada
  • submit a complete application
  • identify themselves as part of the Global Talent Stream through the Come To Canada tool, if applicable. This information will be in the LMIA
  • submit at the time of application (where required)
    • medical exam
    • biometric fee
Workers must also submit the results of their biometrics within 14 calendar days from the date of application.

Family members such as spouse or dependents are also eligible for two-week processing if the worker meets the criteria. They must apply at the same time.

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
Hi, have you submitted your application? I am about to do the same thing. The immigration website confused me a lot.

casliupeng

Sep 15, 2017
Hi, have you submitted your application? I am about to do the same thing. The immigration website confused me a lot.
Hi, I have submitted my application. I also do not find an option for two week processing. So I mentioned it in the letter of explanation instead. Hope they will notice this.

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
Hi, I have submitted my application. I also do not find an option for two week processing. So I mentioned it in the letter of explanation instead. Hope they will notice this.
If you have got a result, would you please tell me? Thanks very much! If the two-week processing applies, it would be great since time is not enough for me...Otherwise, we need to wait months - so bad!

myooz

Oct 6, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm also looking forward to know whether the processing of your work permit took only two weeks. I also intend to apply soon and I've been wondering whether I'm also eligible for the 2 weeks processing time.

Thanks!

Xtreme Innovations

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?Athletes and coachesAviation accident or incident investigatorsBusiness visitorsCivil aviation inspectorsClergyConvention organizersCrew membersEmergency service providersExaminers and evaluatorsExpert witnesses or investigatorsFamily members of foreign representativesForeign government officersForeign representativesHealth-care students Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)Judges, referees and similar officialsMilitary personnelNews reporters, film and media crewsPerforming artistsPublic speakers[/QUO

I also found this a bit challenging but reading further I answered no to the above question ( Global skills strategy also involves International Mobility category which has post docs). I answered no cause those listed above did not fit what i was going to do. by the end of the questionnaire they told me i was qualified for apply for the International Mobility category which also falls under two weeks processessing
CIC needs to probably update the site so that it is less confusing.

lets share timelines when we do have updates

casliupeng

Sep 15, 2017
Hey, it seems that two weeks have passed - have you heard any news for your application? :)
Hi, our application has been approved on Oct. 10,
below are our timeline:
Sep. 16, created an online account.
Sep. 22, submitted the application and pay the visa application fees.
Sep. 24, obtain update for the UCI number for my wife.
Sep. 25, obtain update for the UCI number for myself.
Sep. 26, status update, they require us provide the police certificate for all the places that live more than 12 months.
Oct. 6, we submit the receipts for police cerficate from 4 countries.
Oct. 10, we received a message told us that our application has been approved as well as the original passport request.
Now we only need to send the passport to the visa application center.

By the way, it seems that the two week processing indeed work. However, we also do not know whether there is a special way to let them handle two week processing. We ask them to give us the two week processing in the explanation letter when submit application, as well as the url where they illustrate two week processing. And since we apply the visa in the US and our US visa will expires at Oct. 31. We also write this information in the explanation letter.

myooz

Oct 6, 2017
below are our timeline:
Sep. 26, status update, they require us provide the police certificate for all the places that live more than 12 months.
Oct. 10, we received a message told us that our application has been approved as well as the original passport request.
Thanks for the update!

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
below are our timeline:

By the way, it seems that the two week processing indeed work. However, we also do not know whether there is a special way to let them handle two week processing. We ask them to give us the two week processing in the explanation letter when submit application, as well as the url where they illustrate two week processing. And since we apply the visa in the US and our US visa will expires at Oct. 31. We also write this information in the explanation letter.
Many thanks for your detailed update! :) Good luck in Canada!

Deepali3101

Oct 17, 2017
below are our timeline:

Which country did yu apply for this from?

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
Hello, I am wondering how you got your police certificate from the US in a short time? I checked online and found that it takes 8-10 weeks (!!) to get a police certificate from FBI. I saw that most applicants were required to submit police certificates... I submitted my application last week, but I am afraid I will be asked for police certificate as well :-(. Many thanks for your help!

casliupeng

Sep 15, 2017
Actually, I have not received my police certificatee yet:) I just applied the FBI police certificate then scan all the materials for the application, and upload the application materials to my account, and severals days later, my visa application got approved without a formal police certificate arrived.

Hello, I am wondering how you got your police certificate from the US in a short time? I checked online and found that it takes 8-10 weeks (!!) to get a police certificate from FBI. I saw that most applicants were required to submit police certificates... I submitted my application last week, but I am afraid I will be asked for police certificate as well :-(. Many thanks for your help!

Reactions: sl199221