+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada or PEBC VS WES

Mingay

Mar 16, 2019
It depends on your purpose. Do you want only ECA to proceed with Immigration or you want to also be able to give licensure exams and practice as Pharmacist in Canada?

If your purpose is only immigration, then you can go with WES ECA as it considers 4+2 as masters. But if you want to write PEBC licensing exams then better go with PEBC Document Evaluation and ECA as it evaluates your course as proffesional degree to practice pharmacy which also gives points equal to masters in Express entry. *Remember, if your Job experience is Pharmacist or other regulated proffesional that requires Pharmacy licence then definitely go for PEBC.

WES is comparatively less time consuming (40-60 days) and hassle free process. While PEBC process takes some efforts as it needs some notarized documents and good standing certificates from your pharmacy board. PEBC takes more than 3-4 months going by current trends.

In the end WES and PEBC both give you same points if immigration is only your purpose. So it depends on your choice depending on your profession and interest in licensing exams.

Hi there shawn! Thank you for all your shared insights. Been reading all your replies in these thread and would like to raise this question.

My case is that, I’ve had my 4years bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy with 5yrs of work experience in community pharmacy. I am currently applying for PR through FSWP and am supposed to send my docs for ECA now. I have no plans to work or practice pharmacy when I get to canada. You have said clearly that if for immigration purposes only, we can have our ECA done through WES, but if pursuing license to practice Pharmacy in Canada we should go through PEBC. I am just confused with your note above that says “*Remember, if your job experience is Pharmacist or other regulated profession that requires Pharmacy license then definitely go for PEBC.” What exactly do you mean by that? ‘Coz it’s kinda contradicting with your statement and left me all the more confused because I only need ECA for immigration yet my work experience in my current country is as Pharmacist.

Thank you kindly in advance for your reply. God bless!

shawn18

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
Hyderabad, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-Nov-2018
AOR Received.
29-Nov-2018
IELTS Request
Nov-2018
Med's Done....
29-Nov-2018
Passport Req..
06-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
17-Jun-2019
LANDED..........
07-Sep-2019
Hi there shawn! Thank you for all your shared insights. Been reading all your replies in these thread and would like to raise this question.

My case is that, I’ve had my 4years bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy with 5yrs of work experience in community pharmacy. I am currently applying for PR through FSWP and am supposed to send my docs for ECA now. I have no plans to work or practice pharmacy when I get to canada. You have said clearly that if for immigration purposes only, we can have our ECA done through WES, but if pursuing license to practice Pharmacy in Canada we should go through PEBC. I am just confused with your note above that says “*Remember, if your job experience is Pharmacist or other regulated profession that requires Pharmacy license then definitely go for PEBC.” What exactly do you mean by that? ‘Coz it’s kinda contradicting with your statement and left me all the more confused because I only need ECA for immigration yet my work experience in my current country is as Pharmacist.

Thank you kindly in advance for your reply. God bless!
Hello. Sorry If I might have confused you. If you have pharmacy experience, you need to get your education evaluated by PEBC regardless of type of Pharmacy degree. That's what I tried to say by mentioning it in *. To further clarify I'll try to demonstrate using below scenarios:

1. You have a Pharmacy bachelors (4yrs) and/or Masters(2yrs) or any other pharmacy degree of duration 6yrs or more, intend to practice pharmacy in Canada (After PEBC exams ofcourse!) - go with PEBC ECA
2. You have a Pharmacy bachelors (4yrs) and do not want to practice Pharmacy in Canada but to immigrate through express entry - go with PEBC ECA as it gives more points as professional degree.
3. You have Masters(2yrs) or any other pharmacy degree of duration 6yrs or more, and do not intend to practice pharmacy in Canada and only need evaluation for immigration - go with WES.
4. You have Pharmacy Bachelors/Master/or any other Pharmacy degree and have FSW/CEC experience in Pharmacist related NOC, then you need to go with PEBC ECA.

So 4th scenario applies to you. If your work experience is Pharmacist related, then you must definitely go with PEBC evaluation. The above three statements won't be valid for you even though you don't intend to practice in future your FSW experience NOC might be Pharmacist.

This is only as per my personal experience. Hope it could guide you better.

Last edited:
Reactions: NakibOmar

Mingay

Mar 16, 2019
Hello. Sorry If I might have confused you. If you have pharmacy experience, you need to get your education evaluated by PEBC regardless of type of Pharmacy degree. That's what I tried to say by mentioning it in *. To further clarify I'll try to demonstrate using below scenarios:

1. You have a Pharmacy bachelors (4yrs) and/or Masters(2yrs) or any other pharmacy degree of duration 6yrs or more, intend to practice pharmacy in Canada (After PEBC exams ofcourse!) - go with PEBC ECA
2. You have a Pharmacy bachelors (4yrs) and do not want to practice Pharmacy in Canada but to immigrate through express entry - go with PEBC ECA as it gives more points as professional degree.
3. You have Masters(2yrs) or any other pharmacy degree of duration 6yrs or more, and do not intend to practice pharmacy in Canada and only need evaluation for immigration - go with WES.
4. You have Pharmacy Bachelors/Master/or any other Pharmacy degree and have FSW/CEC experience in Pharmacist related NOC, then you need to go with PEBC ECA.

So 4th scenario applies to you. If your work experience is Pharmacist related, then you must definitely go with PEBC evaluation. The above three statements won't be valid for you even though you don't intend to practice in future your FSW experience NOC might be Pharmacist.

That is crystal clear to me now. Thank you so much shawn for making time elaborating it. Will go now for PEBC.

NakibOmar

Sep 10, 2017

Thank you Shawn for giving such time on replying. I got my answers even without asking.
Lots of love ans best wishes for you mate!

Mingay

Mar 16, 2019
I inquired of my case previously clarified. Though I have decided to get my ECA done by PEBC, I'll just leave it here.

Dear Candidate:

PEBC conducts document evaluation/credential assessment for applicants wishing to be licensed as pharmacists in Canada. For other professions or careers in the industry not requiring licensure, (thus not requiring NAPRA registration or completion of the PEBC exams) for credential assessment you also can contact any of the following:

http://learn.utoronto.ca/international-professionals/comparative-education-service-ces

International Credential Assessment Service of Canada

World Education Services

http://www.canalliance.org/

Regards,

Renee Kiss

Receptionist, Information Assistant

The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada

717 Church Street

Toronto, ON M4W 2M4

CANADA

Tel: 416-979-2431

www.pebc.ca

Reactions: Barbbra

Mani_aujla

Mar 30, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I have 4 yrs bachelor and 2 yr master deg in pharmacy. I have 4 yrs exp as hospital pharmacist. Should i go with WES or PEBC to get my ECA. I met one of migration agent in india he said you can proceed with WES . But i have read their website ( WES) it saysfor pharmacist go to PEBC. Could anyone help me to clear this confusion. And do i need to take any exam thru PEBC to get ECA? I just want ECA to apply pr

Sheena87

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hi,
Could anyone please post a sample of the ECA report received from PEBC? I mean does it say professional degree?

Runap17

Aug 5, 2019
It doesn't matter if you did 5-7 years of pharmacy or you have a doctorate of pharmacy just like me, PEBC and WES will recognize any pharmacy degree (bachelor, master or doctorate) as a professional 4-year degree as the pharmacy program is only 4 years in Canada. Professional degrees such as MD, DMD or PharmD are not considered graduate degrees in canada, only general Masters and PhDs are.
Get a WES ECA only if your professional experience doesn't require licensing such as drug representative or industrial pharmacy job (jobs with no interaction with patient).
Get a PEBC ECA only if your professional experience requires licensing such as retail or hospital pharmacist (jobs with direct interaction with patients).
You will get your application denied if you don't get the correct ECA based on your claimed professional experience.
I did both because I got both experiences.
WES was very cheap and quick to get (2 weeks), PEBC was an expensive and long process (2-3 months) and more a pain because they required proof of licensing in your country and you need to have the application notarized, which is completely silly. You may have to take the equivalency exam before they can give you the ECA. I was waived the exam because I have a US PharmD.
hi...

Preciousomua1

Nov 8, 2019
That means the Transcripts and Licensing statement (if registered) in their Original language should still needs to be sent by university and your country Pharmacy board respectively directly to PEBC.

Then you need to send the english version translated documents for Transcripts and License statement along with your application. These translation documents should match the format of Original language transcripts and licensing statement without missing a single word(Exact translation). Certified translators know how to do this.

Are you registered in Pharmacy board/council in your country?? If not, then the "No Licensing Statement" format which I provided can be made in English only and send along with application. Pharmacy board original statement doesn't come into picture in this case.
@shawn18 please can you send me a sample of the "No licensing statement '' or the format.

Last edited:

Srishma

Jan 11, 2020
I have Bachelors degree in Pharmacy from India and has license too. However I do not work as as a Pharmacist. My experience is in Medical Insurance field. In that case can I get my ECA done from PEBC so that I can fetch more points for EE. This is only for immigration purpose as I do not intend to work as a Pharmacist in Canada. Please advise

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have Bachelors degree in Pharmacy from India and has license too. However I do not work as as a Pharmacist. My experience is in Medical Insurance field. In that case can I get my ECA done from PEBC so that I can fetch more points for EE. This is only for immigration purpose as I do not intend to work as a Pharmacist in Canada. Please advise
Would also look into your job possibilities given your experience is in medical insurance. There is still the extended health benefit market but it much smaller than in countries where the medical system is private. If it is a lucrative job you should also look at what type of salary you can expect in Canada and what that would equal in terms of lifestyle.

Palaksharma

Jan 15, 2020
Hii guys need your urgent help
I have done B pharma 4 year degree and then did MBA in pharma marketing I got my credentials evaluated from WES however they counted my masters equivalent to diploma which led to a decrease in my CRS score.Somebody suggested me to get my bachelor degree evaluated again from PEBC and they will count it as professional and I cn claim masters points.Is it possible?? If yes then what will be written on my PEBC report that can prove that it is a professional degree or in short what will be written on my ECA report from pebc

Palaksharma

Jan 15, 2020
Hello,

My cousin has completed the 5-year degree from Punjab University in Pharmacy.
WES evaluated degree as a Graduate 4-years.

will PEBC evaluate it any different?
will PEBC consider it Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession?
Did u get the ans??

Palaksharma

Jan 15, 2020
Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession

(also known as First professional degree or Entry-to-practice professional degree)

For Express Entry, we only accept professional degrees in these fields:

• medicine,
  • veterinary medicine,
  • dentistry,
  • podiatry,
  • optometry,
  • law,
  • chiropractic medicine, or
  • pharmacy.
ECA assessment results:

Pharmacy
  • Five or more years of professional university study in pharmacy
  • Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree
  • Four-year Bachelor of Science degree with a focus in pharmacy

If you get ECA from PEBC you get points for Master's degree or Proffesional degree.
If you get ECA from WES you get points for 4years of Bachelor's degree.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

I got points for professional degree and PPR. my PEBC ECA states I am four years in bachelors of pharmacy like mentioned above in bold letters.
Hiii what was written in your ECA report from pebc is the word professional degree has to be mentioned in it to claim the points or simply bachelor of science in pharma degree will also be sufficient to claim more points??

Palaksharma

Jan 15, 2020
W
Woow Shawn.

Thank you very much. You have cleared all me doubts in a single reply and really thankful for spending some time to reply my post.

I have already done my documents evaluation through PEBC, but I only need to order the ECA Report as I just received a documents stating, I am qualified for the examination. I was just curious because they told me that we only assess the Bachelors and not Masters and this was the reason I contacted as being a Masters I am qualified for express entry with adequate points. But now, I will order my ECA report from PEBC and will apply express entry right away.

Thank you very much.

Alfaz
can you pls tell what has to be written on your PEBC ECA report to consider it as professional degree?