+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

the issue of "sending an Indian passport outside your country of residence".

christy23

Aug 22, 2015
I am aware that one can not send an Indian passport by post/courier out of your country of residence, it is ILLEGAL. There is a word of caution in the passport which reads," Passport should not be sent out of any country by post. It should be in custody either of the holder or of a person authorised by the holder."

I happened to visit a Consulate General of India in a western country and what I read on the notice board I am sharing it with you. The notice read that the Ministry of External Affairs has taken a strong notice of people sending their Indian passports out of their country of residence and should any such case be detected the passport will be revoked and penalities imposed. The logic for the same was that it amounts of getting a visa in "absentia".

Now :1)one thing is crystal clear that you can not send an Indian passport out of the country of residence by post/courier.
2) what about sending it out side the country of residence by a authorised person? But even in this scenario it would amount to getting a visa in "absentia", (what ever that means) as per the notice I have quoted above.

There will be hundreds if not thousands of Indian applicants for PR who are facing this dilemma. Many threads were active a couple of months ago on this issue but no one probably came back with first hand information on the issue or how they overcame this problem. Could I please invite all members to put in what ever information they have to help and sort out this issue. Your inputs will help many applicants who are abroad and have their cases being processed in home country or have applied abroad and are now in home country.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
I have travelled back to India for passport stamping. This is a safe way to submit passports for PR stamping.

thenumbiceman

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2015
Doc's Request.
~
AOR Received.
05-09-2015
IELTS Request
~
Med's Request
~
Passport Req..
26-01-2016
do you have to travel to india to get the canadian visa? can't you get the VO changed?

I am a FSW outland so do I have to get it changed to indian VO or is it assigned to indian vo automatically?

christy23

Aug 22, 2015
as far as my knowledge ,when they issue PPR ,you might need send a request to Ottawa to change visa office,it can take up to 2 weeks and you can submit it on VFS ,am inland fsw I also need to change my wife VO TO india,

it wont be any problem..its safe rather getting passport out..you never know indian imigarion ...if they notice the visa office issued as Canada and find you have not traveled to Canada ..they will be a problem..then you will have to prove someone has personaly taken your passport with your authorisation and blabla,,,legaly they can easily prevent you from traveling ,,and legal acton on that..its on passport act 1967,its a crapy old bullshit law,..its written behind the passport..

even I heard . CRA AND CUSTOMS in Canada holds passport when its coming from prohibited countries..india is one of them ..its applicable whiele sending back also...unless your passport is carried with someone with authorization two and fro...and keep the autheriation letters incase indian customs got you for visa in ;ABSETITA ...

EVEN I had a plan to get my wife passport .I drpoed it...its not worth taking risk..cic is welling to change vo as your requesst

M1Ash1

Mar 17, 2022
Resurrecting this old forum thread. I am in the same situation now. Applied for PR in US, moved to India and received passport request from new york visa office. I am not sure whats the right process now. Can the letter from IRCC to submit passports ve an authorization for passport to travel outside country? can the local vfs office in India help out with this situation?

frankfz

Star Member
Jun 6, 2021
Resurrecting this old forum thread. I am in the same situation now. Applied for PR in US, moved to India and received passport request from new york visa office. I am not sure whats the right process now. Can the letter from IRCC to submit passports ve an authorization for passport to travel outside country? can the local vfs office in India help out with this situation?
Your PPR email should already Tell you to let ircc know if your address changed. Also the address should have been changed. this is also included in your AOR notice.

M1Ash1

Mar 17, 2022
Yes. I did update IRCC with a webform about my address change when I moved. Not sure why the ppr email still originated from new york office. So I replied to the email id they provided and reiterated the fact that my address has changed and asked them if they still expect me to send the passports to new york vac? would that be enough for them to transfer the file to India?