+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

amirut88

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys I found that people from these countries (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyz, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan) have difficulty for SS.

Last edited:

A.Syed1

Apr 21, 2016
Guys I found that people from these countries (Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyz, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan) have difficulty for SS.
Surprised Pakistan isn't on your list because I'm having plenty of difficulty in SS, even though I've been in Canada for the last 8 years.

amirut88

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

dream2017

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
@dream2017 Military service by itself is not an issue in background check. It is rather the nature of the military service that is the issue. Most applicants who have had a military service have no problems. However, if an applicant has been trained in advanced chemical warfare, intelligence, etc then that will lead to a more extensive background check, but will depend on which country it was in.
Thank you for your explanation. I am the main applicant, and my spouse has the one-year mandatory military service required by the government, but no involvement with any advanced chemical warfare, or intelligence, as you mentioned. Both of us are university academics. No apparent reason for extensive background check. But my question is that how we can know we are experiencing SS. I don't see those words in the notes. By the end of this month, my background check will reach 3 months, and hopefully it can come to an end.

rash1480

Aug 5, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear LEGALFALCON, I am 30May AOR at NDVO n my bg status went from IP2( we r processing yr bg) to NA3 a few days(3days) ago.I thought Ip2 is the last step n ppl report ppr at this stage. Cant understand this change!!! Pls help!! This has been an out of trend change for me. Rest of applicants who got IP2 with me, received ppr yesterday. Why was I excluded?? Wat can I expect here onwards???

A.Syed1

Apr 21, 2016
Just received my GCMS notes, they are dated 15th Nov and it has 5 SS activities and 1 security activity.

Under "Assessments" I noticed there is a new field which wasn't there in my previous notes from Sept and it is "Info Sharing: Complete" . I wonder what kind of info-sharing is being talked about here. Security is still blanked out.

Right above Assessments there is another new field called "Ministerial Instructions" and under that it says "Type: EE-MI1" but there is another "Ministerial Instructions" right under Secondary Office and it says 0, same as before.

Not sure what all these changes mean, I hope PPR isn't too far away, I'm coming onto 13 months since AOR.

Reactions: mamgain

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
Just received my GCMS notes, they are dated 15th Nov and it has 5 SS activities and 1 security activity.

Under "Assessments" I noticed there is a new field which wasn't there in my previous notes from Sept and it is "Info Sharing: Complete" . I wonder what kind of info-sharing is being talked about here. Security is still blanked out.

Right above Assessments there is another new field called "Ministerial Instructions" and under that it says "Type: EE-MI1" but there is another "Ministerial Instructions" right under Secondary Office and it says 0, same as before.

Not sure what all these changes mean, I hope PPR isn't too far away, I'm coming onto 13 months since AOR.
I guess you had 3 SS activities before?? and now you have 2 more activities that I guess one should be CBSA sent the report and another one you passed SS??

Eaglemaniac

Aug 26, 2016

Please when did you order the notes?

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi @legalfalcon ,

I applied on 08-OCT-2017 for LMIA-exempted WP as FSW-O from Italy (I am originally from Pakistan). my application is currently in IP2 phase. Normal Processing time of VO-Rome is 4 weeks, instead exceeded 7 weeks, I inquired embassy yesterday and they responded today as below:

We estimate that the review of this file may exceed the average processing timeframe set out on our website. Often, delays in the processing of an application are out of our control as some processing steps require coordination with external authorities.

Delays in the processing of visa applications are always disappointing to all concerned, but rest assured that all efforts are being made to ensure efficient and expeditious processing of all visa applications.

Our office will contact you as soon as the review is completed, or as soon as more information, documents or an interview are required.

Do you think, they have initiated SS for my WP application, as normally SS is done on PR or PNP applications. I hope they not initiated SS, besides external authorities can be embassy of my home-country, not always CSIS. what you think?

Do CIC involve CSIS in all BCG phases or only when SS required? I mean is it normal that they involve external authorities in every application or just in case of SS?

Should I go for GCMS or wait a bit more?

Kindly advise. I am so much worried, as have to commence post-doc in Jan-2018, and to do pre-arrival arrangements as well.

Last edited:

Pushpaacna

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hi @legalfalcon ,

I found this under FAQ on CSIS website:

'Non-Canadians who apply for permanent residency or refugee status must also undergo security screening.'

So according to the above, security screening by CSIS is mandatory for 'all' permanent residency applicants. However, people here apply the term 'security screening' only for the extra-ordinarily long background checking for some applicants. Again, if every single applicant requires green signal from CSIS, then how come some applications get processed within 25/30 days? Could you please comment on this?

Thanks!

Reactions: hamid607