AOR Received.
28-11-2016
IELTS Request
Ielts L8, R7.5, W7, S7
File Transfer...
16/12/2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
@legalfalcon My AOR 28 Nov. 2016. Everything passed except Security. i am under SS since 27 June 2017.
I want to ask you that what kind of changes should we have to acknowledge to CIC? Like I have lost my job. Should I inform CIC?
And I am going to start my Masters (Masters of Management Sciences) in next month. So Should I inform CIC?
Thanks

Moon_115

Star Member
Dec 18, 2016
Hi @legalfalcon .. Am in security screening stage since almost 18 months.. In GCMS notes, security part is blanked with S.15(1) on the right top of the page. 4 sec screening activities took place and the file I think is in registry since July 2017. Everything is passed.. what can we expect? We are getting so worried that those checks will take years more.. Your opinion will be appreciated.. thank you

OzTraveller

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Australia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-16
Doc's Request.
21-09-16
AOR Received.
16-06-16
Med's Done....
18-06-16
Great thread Legal Falcon, as always! I spent hours reading all the posts and it's good to know I am not the only one frustrated with the lengthy and mysterious background check process. I am AOR June 2016, and been stuck in background check for over a year now. I ordered GCMS notes for the second time today, hoping to get someone to look at my file after such a long time. No idea what the problem is and impossible to get info through online or phone inquiry. In my first GCMS notes everything looked normal. Eligibility, Criminality and medical all passed. No problem whatsoever. I wonder what else they are waiting for before they make a decision about my case. To be honest, I won't care even if I am rejected anymore. I just can't wait for this process to be over one way or another.

Just wondering, do you have any idea what the longest wait for a decision has been once the application is in background check?

Reactions: Tomi2

rxyz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Hello, I received my GCMS notes today. First the first page says eligibility passed but field in front of security is blank.
Under activity section I see 3 security screening and one security . In fact 1st and second activities are security screening with no further information (New Value , update etc are removed ) the 3rd is security is screening with New Value = Not started and dated 2017/8/30 (My app went to IP2 in the same date). And Filed 4 is security with all fields removed like 1 and 2 above. Does anyone know anything about meaning of this? is the SS started and how many of this SS activities people receive before PPR? Also application due is 2017/9/30 does it mean I see some update by that time?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks, Also the officer commented that they received the PCC and it showed NRT (what does this mean)

Does this mean my BGC has started? It has been now 25 months since submission
NRT is no reportable trace, which is a term used for stating that there was noting found in the database against you. This only applies to Criminality and not BGC.

Reactions: Tomi2 and solimane

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon My AOR 28 Nov. 2016. Everything passed except Security. i am under SS since 27 June 2017.
I want to ask you that what kind of changes should we have to acknowledge to CIC? Like I have lost my job. Should I inform CIC?
And I am going to start my Masters (Masters of Management Sciences) in next month. So Should I inform CIC?
Thanks
IRCC should be updated with the following:

1. Change of country of residence
2. Change of family composition, marriage, birth, death, divorce etc.

Reactions: hb_rashidy

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon .. Am in security screening stage since almost 18 months.. In GCMS notes, security part is blanked with S.15(1) on the right top of the page. 4 sec screening activities took place and the file I think is in registry since July 2017. Everything is passed.. what can we expect? We are getting so worried that those checks will take years more.. Your opinion will be appreciated.. thank you
At this juncture there is nothing much you can do. I am coming out with another post to explain things specifically with CBSA soon. Watch out for that.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Great thread Legal Falcon, as always! I spent hours reading all the posts and it's good to know I am not the only one frustrated with the lengthy and mysterious background check process. I am AOR June 2016, and been stuck in background check for over a year now. I ordered GCMS notes for the second time today, hoping to get someone to look at my file after such a long time. No idea what the problem is and impossible to get info through online or phone inquiry. In my first GCMS notes everything looked normal. Eligibility, Criminality and medical all passed. No problem whatsoever. I wonder what else they are waiting for before they make a decision about my case. To be honest, I won't care even if I am rejected anymore. I just can't wait for this process to be over one way or another.

Just wondering, do you have any idea what the longest wait for a decision has been once the application is in background check?
I can't comment on what the longest wait has been, but it is not unusual for people to wait for 1-2 years. However, those who have waited, some have seen that their files have been approved.

Reactions: OzTraveller

shri_canada

Feb 21, 2017
Hello, I received my GCMS notes today. First the first page says eligibility passed but field in front of security is blank.
Under activity section I see 3 security screening and one security . In fact 1st and second activities are security screening with no further information (New Value , update etc are removed ) the 3rd is security is screening with New Value = Not started and dated 2017/8/30 (My app went to IP2 in the same date). And Filed 4 is security with all fields removed like 1 and 2 above. Does anyone know anything about meaning of this? is the SS started and how many of this SS activities people receive before PPR? Also application due is 2017/9/30 does it mean I see some update by that time?
3 SS Activities are:
1st : Not Started
2nd: Send to CBSA
3rd: Received by CBSA

Your SS start date is 30-Aug-2017. The average processing time for SS is around 6 to 18 months. There is no exact count for SS activities within GCMS notes. Its better to have 4 as it means some progress has been done. There are people who got PPR after 4 SS activities and there are people who got 5-6 SS activities under GCMS notes without PPR. So it totally depends on individual profile / case.

Ignore that Due date as it has no significance.

Reactions: rxyz

Moon_115

Star Member
Dec 18, 2016
3 SS Activities are:

Your SS start date is 30-Aug-2017. The average processing time for SS is around 6 to 18 months. There is no exact count for SS activities within GCMS notes. Its better to have 4 as it means some progress has been done. There are people who got PPR after 4 SS activities and there are people who got 5-6 SS activities under GCMS notes without PPR. So it totally depends on individual profile / case.

Dear Shri_canada...we are so depressed as our SS is taking ages. For us there are 4 SS including one "not started" and one "Security".. All in All 5. We have been waiting since 18 months for SS.. we are getting so worried.. no issues on the PA's part.. clean record.. what do u think and how long we will be waiting more!? Thank you dear

strength2

Jul 5, 2016
App. Filed.......
23-05-2019 (recieved)
Doc's Request.
06-12-2019 (biometric)
Med's Done....
30-01-2020
Dear Shri_canada...we are so depressed as our SS is taking ages. For us there are 4 SS including one "not started" and one "Security".. All in All 5. We have been waiting since 18 months for SS.. we are getting so worried.. no issues on the PA's part.. clean record.. what do u think and how long we will be waiting more!? Thank you dear
CBSA is not functioning. If you like to go public please send me a message. The journal will contact CBSA to investigate.

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
@legalfalcon have you seen any inland applicant getting rejected due to inadmissible for security reason?

SFKAS

Jul 27, 2014
3 SS Activities are:

Hi Shri

That's very interesting and useful info.

May I ask how do you know what the 1st, 2nd and 3rd mean

And where do we find information on this forum about applicants who were in SS and then got their PPR and how long did it take

S

slpmaple

Once a PR application os approved and finalized, it cannot be re-opened. However, when you do apply for Citizenship, the same checks take pace in regard to security. They do look into the PR application once again to verify the details.

ECAS was a system used to track the progress of PR application pre-express entry, but after the initiation of express entry, it has become redundant.
Thanks for your swift response @legalfalcon. So when one applies for PR Card renewal, they have to re-open the same original PR application?

S

slpmaple

H. Some scandals CSIS has been involved with.

Even though CSIS is a professional agency that is tasked with the security screening of prospective immigrants, it does not stop its activities there. Even after an applicant is granted PR status, CSIS continues to monitor his activities, as another security screening is done when the PR applies for citizenship. CSIS, from the time someone applies to enter Canada until long after they have citizenship is involved in surveilling, gathering information, creating files, developing profiles, writing and passing on secret reports. There have been frequent complaints about general harassment, and also about the specific behaviour of CSIS. CSIS agents have been known to show up at an individual’s door late at night. As SIRC reports indicate, CSIS agents regularly fail to inform the individual of their right to have an attorney present.

According to the National Council on Canada-Arab Relations (NCCAR), students of Arab origin are being approached by CSIS agents on campus for questioning. They have reportedly been threatened with deportation and revocation of their status if they fail to provide information about community members (“In The Shadow of The Law”, a report by the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group (ICLMG), 2003).

Toronto immigration lawyer Faisal Kutty elaborates, “Showing up at homes and workplaces unannounced; offering money and favors for “information”; intimidating and threatening newcomers; inquiring about a person’s religiosity; and discouraging people from engaging lawyers are some of the recurring themes that I have come across from clients.” (Faisal Kutty, “The Dirty Work of Canadian Intelligence”, April 2004)

The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR-CAN) has distributed tens of thousands of “Know Your Rights” guides and organized workshops across the country to help community members deal with CSIS and the RCMP. A community survey conducted in 2004 by CAIR-CAN reports that security officials were using, “troubling tactics” such as “discouraging legal representation, aggressive and threatening behaviour, threats of arrest pursuant to the antiterrorism act, visits at work, intrusive and irrelevant questionning, improper identification, informant solicitation, and interrogation of a minor.” (CAIR-CAN, “Presumption of Guilt”, 2004).

In the past CSIS has been involved in the following scandals:

Maher Arar. Documents divulged in the Arar inquiry reveal that CSIS believed “the U.S. would like to get Arar to Jordan where they can have their way with him,” as early as two days after Mr. Arar was deported by the US to Jordan, and then on to Syria, where he was tortured and imprisonned for nearly a year. According to the Arar inquiry report, CSIS nevertheless visited Syria and met with Syrian intelligence agents during Arar’s incarceration, even passing on questions to be posed to Arar. The information Arar provided under torture was then passed on to CSIS, who in turn passed it on to other Canadian authorities. CSIS's position during this period was that Arar should not return to Canada. Syrian authorities were aware of the position of CSIS, despite Canada's official demand that Arar should be released immediately. Arar is one of several individuals who have gone public with similar stories, including Benamar Benatta, Abdullah Almalki, Ahmad El Maati, Muayyed Nureddin and Abousfian Abdelrazik. The report on this is available at http://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/Committee/402/SECU/Reports/RP4004074/securp03/securp03-e.pdf

Security certificate cases. Security certificates are a “legal” way of doing the same thing that was done to Arar, Benatta, Almalki, El Maati, Nureddin and Abdelrazik: on the basis of secret suspicions, attempting to send people to places where it is known they will be tortured and in the meantime keeping them in indefinite detention. CSIS is the government agency which prepares security certificate cases. Even within the fundamentally flawed framework of the certificate, CSIS has been mired in several scandals, including the destruction of evidence, and possible involvement in media leaks. CSIS has been accused of using information obtained under coercion and torture in these and similar cases. For example, CSIS is known to have introduced information obtained from Abu Zubaydah-the poster boy of the CIA’s “black sites” programme-into the Charkaoui case. CSIS continues to deny that it uses information obtained under torture, but in November 2005, SIRC SIRC reported that CSIS was in no position to make "an absolute assurance" to the government that information it receives from allied spy agencies is not obtained as a result of torture. What is a security certificate - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_certificate

Air India. CSIS destroyed key wiretap evidence and those responsible were not brought to justice. A suspected CSIS mole, Surjan Singh Gill, was identified by the RCMP as one of six main suspects in the bombing. The RCMP believed that he had the explosives and airline ticket with him shortly before two bombs were apparently checked onto flights in Vancouver. Gill left Canada in 2000 and has never been charged. (Globe and Mail, 4 June 2003). More on Air India Case - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

Bhupinder S. Liddar. CSIS was caught lying to SIRC [Security Intelligence Review Committee] (in SIRC’s words, the agency “purposefully misled” SIRC in order to "suppress information that was embarrassing to the Service") to cover up its errors in the Liddar case. SIRC reported that CSIS had conducted a “hasty, slipshod investigation” and had ‘a regrettable’ attitude that supporting Arab causes can be suspicious.” (Globe and Mail, 14 September 2005). https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/csis-vows-changes-amid-criticism/article986548/

Targeting Unions. During the 1980s and 1990s, CSIS spied on the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW). Former CSIS officer John Farrell confessed that, as CUPW engaged in the difficult negotiations leading to the strike of 1991, he and fellow officers prepared dossiers on "troublesome" CUPW leaders. They sought and received authorization to intercept every piece of mail delivered to the homes of targetted labour organizers and to inspect their garbage. They illegally planted a listening device in a postal station and stole keys from a postal depot to break into apartment buildings and mail boxes (Andrew Mitrovica, Covert Entry: Spies, Lies and Crimes Inside Canada's Secret Service). CSIS has always denied these activities. CUPW was not the only union of interest to CSIS. Marc-André Boivin infiltrated Quebec’s CSN for 15 years - first for the RCMP and then for CSIS. Boivin was involved in making bomb threats during a hotel strike.

Heritage Front. Grant Bristow, one of the founders of the neo-Nazi group Heritage Front was employed for five years by CSIS. According to an article by Bill Dunphy of the Toronto Sun, Bristow was supposed to be working as a mole for CSIS, while serving as the intelligence chief and co-director of security for the Heritage Front. However, his active role in hate activities has raised questions. Bristow allegedly ran a programme of harassment against anti-racists in Canada, and provided the Front with personal information on them. More on Heritage Front - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Front

I hope you found this information useful. I try to answer as many questions as I can, but it is humanly impossible for me to answer specific application questions for all applicants. So lets keep this thread to discuss BGC and what other forum members have experienced.

If you have any specific questions for me, please use the threads in my signature.

Thank you.

You mentioned within your article that CSIS continue surveilling PR applicants long after they have landed in Canada. What kind of surveillance tactics do they employ, do you mean internet? telephone, wire tapping, following around e.t.c?

Last edited by a moderator: