+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The anatomy of a Background Check? - <<<<<<IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS>>>>>>>

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Nope, but they will probe a little extra thats all. When I say it may take a little longer, it does not mean that your application will be stuck. Just that in case they launch a probe, you may see a slight delay only on some applications.
Okay, I understand it. Thank you very much again.

Reactions: Lightinthedark

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Okay, I understand it. Thank you very much again.
BTW i like your quote, "There are no Traffic Jams along the extra mile. Just go ahead, it'll get easier!."

So true!!

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
legalfalcon - I understand that i can request info from CSIS on the status of my security screening. Do you know if CSIS would mail this info outside Canada?

Alternatively is GETGCMS able to request this on my behalf?

https://www.csis.gc.ca/scrtscrnng/cfdidi-en.php
Most likely CSIS will not mail info outside Canada. GET GCMS can file your request but CSIS needs a physical copy of the consent from, which you will have to physically mail them, unlike the electronic consent from required by IRCC.

You should contact GET GCMS and inquire how they would proceed with the request.

Reactions: systems.engineer

systems.engineer

Star Member
Mar 29, 2017
Washington DC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
If I ask CSIS for the update on my security check, is it handled through IRCC or is it a separate process?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
If I ask CSIS for the update on my security check, is it handled through IRCC or is it a separate process?
Seeking the update on the security check from CSIS is done by CSIS and has no relationship with IRCC. CSIS will only inform you if they have conducted and finished a security check on your application, not where your application is in the entire IRCC process.

Aal_

Feb 28, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
Med's Done....
23-02-2017 / Passed: 12-07-2017
Passport Req..
11-09-2018
subscribing. Thank you legalfalcon.

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for this valuable post @legalfalcon. You mentioned that BGC starts early for PNP applicants. Ontario is currently processing applications in less than 10 days. Does it mean they send applicants' information to CSIC during these 10 days or after nomination even before the applicant accepts an ITA?

sudeep.chatterjee

Jul 5, 2016
Toronto
Hey @legalfalcon , really amazing post. Very detailed information.

I had a query relating to a friend's application. She submitted her application and she later realised that one of the pdf's which she had uploaded was modified. As in she was using the adobe acrobat DC as suggested by IRCC and had used to merge her pdf documents, there was a change in the modify date and time.

Will this cause any problems as far as authenticity of the document uploaded?

Also, how does CIC checks the Validity and Authenticity of the submitted documents?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks for this valuable post @legalfalcon. You mentioned that BGC starts early for PNP applicants. Ontario is currently processing applications in less than 10 days. Does it mean they send applicants' information to CSIC during these 10 days or after nomination even before the applicant accepts an ITA?
When you send application to Provinces for PNP, they only grant you the nomination based on the information your transmit. At this stage no BGC takes place. BGC only takes place by CSIS, when you file your application post ITA to IRCC.

Reactions: canada_dreamer

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hey @legalfalcon , really amazing post. Very detailed information.

I had a query relating to a friend's application. She submitted her application and she later realised that one of the pdf's which she had uploaded was modified. As in she was using the adobe acrobat DC as suggested by IRCC and had used to merge her pdf documents, there was a change in the modify date and time.

Will this cause any problems as far as authenticity of the document uploaded?

Also, how does CIC checks the Validity and Authenticity of the submitted documents?
As long as the document is the exact scan copy of the original, you are good. IRCC will verify the ECA through the organization the applicant used, the IELTS results are verified against the issuing agency and other documents are other taken on face value, but where there is a red flag or an issue, further checks are made. IRCC has a whole protocol on how to identify documents, which is a complex process.

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you send application to Provinces for PNP, they only grant you the nomination based on the information your transmit. At this stage no BGC takes place. BGC only takes place by CSIS, when you file your application post ITA to IRCC.
Thank you!

jiaqi611

Star Member
May 18, 2017
I have been getting questions on what happens in a BGC a lot in the last few months. Even though in my post, “[A]natomy of an application” available on many threads, I do discuss this briefly, but I felt there was a need for a more exhaustive post. This post in no way accurately depicts the procedures adopted by the CSIS, Canada’s premier security agency, as their procedures are highly confidential and will never be made public. However, this post is an amalgamation of the information publically available, and my personal experiences with working for the governments and law enforcement agencies in different countries.

Since this is a long post and each post cannot be over 10000 characters, I am posting the entire post in replies. The post is alphabetically numbered.

So here it goes:

A. What is CSIS and its mandate?

Before we even venture into looking at how CSIS conducts background checks, it is essential to have a brief knowledge of CSIS and what it does. CSIS in its publication has introduced itself with the following statement:

“With the large number of homeland conflicts throughout the world,
preventing the importation of these conflicts into communities
in Canada is of particular concern to all Canadians.”

The mandate of the CSIS concerning security screening of immigrants is laid down in Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (hereinafter “the IRPA”). Sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS Act authorizes CSIS to provide security assessments for the review of immigration applications to the IRCC. These assessments relate directly to the security inadmissibility criteria contained in the IRPA, with the final decision resting with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

Unlike other intelligence services across the globe, CSIS until early 2000 did not operate on foreign soil and its operations concerned the protection of Canadian national security mainly against internal threats. However, since threats to the security of Canada can come from criminals or terrorists using Canadian soil to perpetrate attacks of terrorist activities, both within Canada and target foreign nations, CSIS was tasked with screening all applicants seeking admission into Canada through IRCC.

CSIS is tasked with conducting security clearance for all applicants in addition the police clearances certificates furnished by the applicants, for all applicants between the ages of 18 and 65 years. The BGC is conducted to detect applicants who are, or have been, involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism.

The screening of potential immigrants to Canada is a complex process that involves several government departments and agencies such as IRCC, Health Canada, Human Resources Development Canada, and RCMP [Royal Canadian Mounted Police] and CSIS, each of whom has specific responsibilities. A culmination of what these agencies do determines admissibility based on medical, criminality, security etc.

Specifically CSIS, in accordance with section 2 of CSIS Act, that deals with threats to the security of Canada. The IRPA in Division 4, specifically section 34 deals with the inadmissibility based on security, which is assessed by CSIS. Section 34 includes accessing the applicant for the following:

Security

34 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on security grounds for

a) engaging in an act of espionage that is against Canada or that is contrary to Canada’s interests;
b) engaging in or instigating the subversion by force of any government
a. engaging in an act of subversion against a democratic government, institution or process as they are understood in Canada;
c) engaging in terrorism;
d) being a danger to the security of Canada;
e) engaging in acts of violence that would or might endanger the lives or safety of persons in Canada; or
f) being a member of an organization that there are reasonable grounds to believe engages, has engaged or will engage in acts referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (b.1) or (c).

CSIS does what is known as risk management in the processing of security checks on prospective immigrants, role of CSIS focuses on those applicants who, on the basis of analysis and experience, are most likely to present a security risk. The advice provided by the CSIS assists the IRCC in determining whether prospective immigrants are inadmissible persons under the Immigration Act.

The assessment of CSIS is not binding on IRCC, and IRCC independently reviews the CSIS assessment in the final review before the application is approved. This is another reason for the delays, and more on this later.

B. When does your application go to CSIS?

Usually, the Security screening is the last step, but for some applicants, this starts early in the process. These applicants are PNP applicants. This is because a province has nominated them through their internal mechanism, thereby in a way giving them eligibility, and the role of IRCC greatly decreases, unlike FSW, CEC and other application where IRCC has to review every detail to ensure that the applicant meets the program requirement. This is another reason why PNP applications usually tend to be processed faster. More on PNP in another post, which I will post in the next few days.
Thanks for your information. My application is in the final stages of review prior to finalization. Is that mean my application is done with CSIS? Or my application still in CSIS?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks for your information. My application is in the final stages of review prior to finalization. Is that mean my application is done with CSIS? Or my application still in CSIS?
Have you ordered GCMS? Is your eligibility cleared?