+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Test Completed But BACKGROUND CHECK in progress.

jaskaran90

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Sept 14th. 2021 : FP Requested
Oct 5h, 2021: FP submitted
Nov 17th, 2021: Test Completed

Besides the test, everything is still in progress on the tracker.... I applied Nov 2020....

Waiting for the ATIP report to see where we at :(
Your FP have already expired since they are only valid for a year for citizenship applications. Do you know if your criminality or security has passed? You can call IRCC to check.

degm

May 31, 2017

Besides the test, everything is still in progress on the tracker.... I applied Nov 2020....

You're a candidate for mandamus, have you considered going through that route?

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021

you are above 23 months processing time. Call IRCC and find out. You are in a better position to enquire.

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
March 2021: Application submitted
Nov 2021: 1st FP request
Nov 2021: FP submitted
Nov 2021: Test Completed
Dec 2022: 2nd FP request
Dec 2022: FP submitted

Everything else is still in progress on the tracker.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
March 2021: Application submitted
Nov 2021: 1st FP request
Nov 2021: FP submitted
Nov 2021: Test Completed
Dec 2022: 2nd FP request
Dec 2022: FP submitted

Everything else is still in progress on the tracker.
Have you got any info on your security screening status? Try asking IRCC and requesting case notes from CBSA, specifically asking for security screening information.
As you’re past 23 months, you can complain about the delay.

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Have you got any info on your security screening status? Try asking IRCC and requesting case notes from CBSA, specifically asking for security screening information.
As you’re past 23 months, you can complain about the delay.
I tried to reach out to the processing office and to the call center. It seems they don’t really care if it is taking longer than the average process time. They just keep saying that the background check (security clearance) is in progress and it is normal for non-routine cases to take longer time and nothing can be done other than waiting..

Last edited:

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I tried to reach out to the processing office and to the call center. It seems they don’t really care if it is taking longer than the average process time. They just keep saying that the background check (security clearance) is in progress and it is normal for non-routine cases to take longer time and nothing can be done other than waiting..
Unfortunately security screening is a bit of a black hole. Do you know when your security screening started (ask the agent or get cbsa notes)?

It’s usually cleared in less than a year, unless csis have some serious security concerns or received some negative intel (which could include a ‘poison pen letter’ from an enemy eg an ex business partner) or you are on their watchlist. In some rare cases, individuals are suspected of being guilty by association (someone you know, or membership of a blacklisted organization). There was one doctor who had volunteered with an aid agency in Palestine, and csis had later blacklisted that agency (many years after the humanitarian work). In one case, csis received an anonymous poison pen letter against a Tamil refugee. In another case, a Tamil priest was acccused of supporting terrorism because of alleged terror financing by his employer. These issues only came to light in court; IRCC does not discuss security concerns with applicants, but such applicants are often interviewed by csis.

So if you’ve been waiting for security screening for less than a year without an interview request, keep waiting.

if however, you’ve been waiting for security clearance for 2+ years without any delay from your side (eg delay in providing documentation if asked) and If you are absolutely certain of no security suspicions (you know your situation better than anyone), then go for Mandamus. Mandamus is a legal writ that forces IRCC to finalize your application asap. It requires a lawyer. Most mandamus filings result in cases moving before any actual court case, so just filing it can be beneficial.

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Unfortunately security screening is a bit of a black hole. Do you know when your security screening started (ask the agent or get cbsa notes)?

It’s usually cleared in less than a year, unless csis have some serious security concerns or received some negative intel (which could include a ‘poison pen letter’ from an enemy eg an ex business partner) or you are on their watchlist. In some rare cases, individuals are suspected of being guilty by association (someone you know, or membership of a blacklisted organization). There was one doctor who had volunteered with an aid agency in Palestine, and csis had later blacklisted that agency (many years after the humanitarian work). In one case, csis received an anonymous poison pen letter against a Tamil refugee. In another case, a Tamil priest was acccused of supporting terrorism because of alleged terror financing by his employer. These issues only came to light in court; IRCC does not discuss security concerns with applicants, but such applicants are often interviewed by csis.

So if you’ve been waiting for security screening for less than a year without an interview request, keep waiting.

if however, you’ve been waiting for security clearance for 2+ years without any delay from your side (eg delay in providing documentation if asked) and If you are absolutely certain of no security suspicions (you know your situation better than anyone), then go for Mandamus. Mandamus is a legal writ that forces IRCC to finalize your application asap. It requires a lawyer. Most mandamus filings result in cases moving before any actual court case, so just filing it can be beneficial.
A call center agent informed me that my security screening started in Oct 2021. It is been in progress for around 16 months now. Filing for mandamus costs quite a lot. Not sure if I should keep waiting for a bit longer before going forward with that route...

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021

Is security screening link to background check item or prohibitions item?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Is security screening link to background check item or prohibitions item?
Background check is made up of criminality and security screening. Security screening referrals are made to CSIS and possibly other security agencies, depending on the their concerns.

Last edited:

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
Background check is made up of criminality and security screening. Security screening referrals are made to CSIS and possibly other security agencies, depending on the their concerns. You would know your own self best and whether you may have done/said something that may have put you on a watchlist, or interacted/lived with someone suspicious before.

To ensure that the security screening request is actually being processed (and not lost in transit), you can make privacy act request to CSIS.

Have you tried reaching out to your MP? Can also try contacting the media, sending webforms, and emailing the local office from where you got your test invite. It could help.

If you are eligible for urgent processing (check the requirements), this can help expedite the process.

Otherwise there's Mandamus. You can ask others who have tried it as to how much it actually costs and whether it's with it.
Thanks for clearifications.
My background is completed already, the only one left is prohibitions. I already request from CSIS two weeks ago so i am waiting for their reply.
This is why I asked about prohibitions, since usually people get their prohibitions finished with others items.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for clearifications.
My background is completed already, the only one left is prohibitions. I already request from CSIS two weeks ago so i am waiting for their reply.
This is why I asked about prohibitions, since usually people get their prohibitions finished with others items.
I'm sorry my comments were meant for the previous poster.

You won't get anything helpful from CSIS. Since your background has been completed, there's something else holding up prohibitions. You can take a look at citizenship law to see what prohibitions covers.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
A call center agent informed me that my security screening started in Oct 2021. It is been in progress for around 16 months now. Filing for mandamus costs quite a lot. Not sure if I should keep waiting for a bit longer before going forward with that route...
You would know your own self best and whether you may have done/said something that may have put you on a watchlist, or interacted/lived with someone suspicious before.

To ensure that the security screening request is actually being processed (and not lost in transit), you can make privacy act request to CSIS.

Have you tried reaching out to your MP? Can also try contacting the media, sending webforms, and emailing the local office from where you got your test invite. It could help.

If you are eligible for urgent processing (check the requirements), this can help expedite the process.

Otherwise there's Mandamus. You can ask others who have tried it as to how much it actually costs and whether it's with it.

Montrealboy

Oct 1, 2022
Hi, my application is also stuck in security clearance. Everyone who applied at around my time had their background approved. This is so disheartening. My question is what do they look for in security checks?

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
I'm sorry my comments were meant for the previous poster.

You won't get anything helpful from CSIS. Since your background has been completed, there's something else holding up prohibitions. You can take a look at citizenship law to see what prohibitions covers.
Prohibitions info are the same as background. Call center told me it is in progress and I don't have to provide any info.
I saw some posts with similar situation after week or two it was completed and they were invited to the oath