+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Test Completed But BACKGROUND CHECK in progress.

canvisa001

Star Member
Mar 2, 2018
To op’s question - it was the same for me. Background completed all once just before the oath update. it’s either their system is poorly designed or engineered as the reason for this

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
To op’s question - it was the same for me. Background completed all once just before the oath update. it’s either their system is poorly designed or engineered as the reason for this
Dont get me wrong but your timeline tells something else. The date of update for Background check is immediately after test was completed.

Last edited:

batman12345

Star Member
Jun 24, 2018
It's the same for me. My test is completed but not the background check. A month before my test invite I called IRCC and asked about my background check. She looked up my profile and said that Criminality is Passed but I didn't hear what she said exactly for Security and moved on quickly to the other sections and said the rest are in progress. I should have asked to repeat the security part again. Fast forward to finishing my test, I called IRCC again and asked to get an update on my background check, this time the officer sounded like she didn't want to help she said ya everything is in progress and processing time is 27 months. I then asked so Criminality is in progress too? she said everything yes. But the previous officer I am very certain that she said criminality was passed. Anyways I am just gonna wait now, seems like some officers at IRCC are aggressive and don't like helping people.

iceman55

May 1, 2022
It's the same for me. My test is completed but not the background check. A month before my test invite I called IRCC and asked about my background check. She looked up my profile and said that Criminality is Passed but I didn't hear what she said exactly for Security and moved on quickly to the other sections and said the rest are in progress. I should have asked to repeat the security part again. Fast forward to finishing my test, I called IRCC again and asked to get an update on my background check, this time the officer sounded like she didn't want to help she said ya everything is in progress and processing time is 27 months. I then asked so Criminality is in progress too? she said everything yes. But the previous officer I am very certain that she said criminality was passed. Anyways I am just gonna wait now, seems like some officers at IRCC are aggressive and don't like helping people.
You can request GCMS instead, I think it shows criminality and security separately.

OTW5074

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-04-2021
BG check passed May 2021, so it expired now. Test taken in April 2022. Everything else still in progress. I sent my file jan 2021.

Contacting my MP and IRCC yielded the same response": the average time is 26 months (25 now) so just wait,
I requested my notes through ATIP last week. Very frustrating

iceman55

May 1, 2022
BG check passed May 2021, so it expired now. Test taken in April 2022. Everything else still in progress. I sent my file jan 2021.

Contacting my MP and IRCC yielded the same response": the average time is 26 months (25 now) so just wait,
I requested my notes through ATIP last week. Very frustrating
Did you do a fingerprint? If not fingerpint the BG expiry is not a big deal.

Usually the delays are caused at the background stage or test rescheduling, but if both are done it just takes someone to review your file and make a decision.

Did you write to your office? If not you can try that - the same email that sent you the test invite.
GCMS is another way.

Webform as well but it's become almost entirely useless.

OTW5074

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-04-2021
I did. They replied some very non comittal answer like "we re busy, covid, ukraine, iran, be patient."

edit: my office is Ottawa and based on other posts in this forum they are not the fastest.

Last edited:

YAS1979

Oct 30, 2022
They had requested my fingerprints twice. One in May 21 & seconed time May 2022 because first one expired after one year passed although I completed test on Dec 2021. ... Moreover they requested my son 16 years (minor) fingerprints in March 2022.
Until today still waiting for Oath. I had submitted my file Sep 2020.....more than two years back.

• Sad
Reactions: OTW5074

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Moreover they requested my son 16 years (minor) fingerprints in March 2022.
In some cases I've seen when they're fasttracking an application, they issue FPs so they can quickly mark BG completed withiut having to analyze a lot of evidence - also the reason why I think many urgent processing applications seem to get disproportionate FPs.

Or in some other cases, one office marks BG complete but it was transferred to another office for faster processing and at that time fingerprints are requested for the same reason.

But never seen anyone asking for a minor's fingerprint. Really weird.

Based on what I read the Sydney office decides who need to be fingerprinted but not sure if local offices can also do that.

What's your office?

YAS1979

Oct 30, 2022
In some cases I've seen when they're fasttracking an application, they issue FPs so they can quickly mark BG completed withiut having to analyze a lot of evidence - also the reason why I think many urgent processing applications seem to get disproportionate FPs.

Or in some other cases, one office marks BG complete but it was transferred to another office for faster processing and at that time fingerprints are requested for the same reason.

But never seen anyone asking for a minor's fingerprint. Really weird.

Based on what I read the Sydney office decides who need to be fingerprinted but not sure if local offices can also do that.

What's your office?
Its Ottawa. My son fingerprint was really stange and wired request from them.

Reactions: iceman55

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Its Ottawa. My son fingerprint was really stange and wired request from them.
Some of Ottawa applications were transferred to Niagara Falls for oath I believe. You can call the helpline and once you find out you he office can get the office's email address here and email saying you application is very old and hasn't gotten oath yet.

Typically the resonse rate seems to be better in general for older, backlogged applications.