+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary work permit and dependent children

rhythm218

Jul 30, 2013
Hi,
I've got a job offer as a temporary foreign worker for the position of a housekeeping in a camp hotel in Fort Mcmurray. My question is am I eligible to apply PR after one or two years of working with the hotel? Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible under AINP, see http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp-eds-semi-skilled-criteria.aspx#hotel if you are employed in an eligible position

Industry: Hotel and Lodging

Eligible occupations:
Food and Beverage Servers (NOC 6453)
Room Attendants (NOC 6661)
Front Desk Agent/Clerk (NOC 6435)
There are certain requirements for the hotel and certain for you. You would need total 3 years hotel experience which can also be from outside Canada and you would need at least 6 months in AB before you can apply. Your employer would have to support your application and they have to qualify too.

SANDHUPREET

Nov 3, 2018
Hi ,

I am planning to go on a work permit to British Columbia, my son who is 18 yrs of age will be going along. I would get him admitted for the post secondary education, will I have to pay international fees or domestic fees for his college during my work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi ,

I am planning to go on a work permit to British Columbia, my son who is 18 yrs of age will be going along. I would get him admitted for the post secondary education, will I have to pay international fees or domestic fees for his college during my work permit?
International fees.

AAM1218

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I am also planning to work in Canada, BC. I will be bringing my son who is in 3rd grade. Will I be paying international fees for his studies?

karan0247

Jun 30, 2019
International fees.
Hi,
I'm currently studying in canada (international student) my father just got job offer he'll soon getting his work permit (long haul truck driver) and he is qualified for getting PNP and PR later on and I want to know am I eligible to get PR with him as I'm dependent child (20yrs old) and is there any change of visa for me if he is getting work permit. I am left with 1 more year of study.
And in future do I've to apply for PGWP Or I can stay with him as long as he is on work permit and without any study permit.
(BC, Canada)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I'm currently studying in canada (international student) my father just got job offer he'll soon getting his work permit (long haul truck driver) and he is qualified for getting PNP and PR later on and I want to know am I eligible to get PR with him as I'm dependent child (20yrs old) and is there any change of visa for me if he is getting work permit. I am left with 1 more year of study.
And in future do I've to apply for PGWP Or I can stay with him as long as he is on work permit and without any study permit.
(BC, Canada)
He can include you in his PR application provided you are under 22 years old at the time he applies for PR.

You would need to change your status to visitor (TRV) to remain in Canada while your father is on the work permit. Of course you won't be able to go to school on the TRV or work. IMO it makes more sense to finish school and get the PGWP.

karan0247

Jun 30, 2019
He can include you in his PR application provided you are under 22 years old at the time he applies for PR.

You would need to change your status to visitor (TRV) to remain in Canada while your father is on the work permit. Of course you won't be able to go to school on the TRV or work. IMO it makes more sense to finish school and get the PGWP.
Thank you so much for quick reply.
So if i am getting TRV is that for 6 months on which I've to leave country after 6 months and come back again or I can stay with my dad till he has valid work permit without leaving country
and I've already done half of my studies So isn't its better to wait for an year rather paying 4times more fees. I mean I can continue my studies after getting PR.
And if I'm holding TRV instead of Study Visa is that means I've to sell my car and close my bank account as well.
please let me know what is best option for me.

EDIT: and I've BC MSP (medical services plan) on TRV I think I've to loose that too.
and for drivers license I think I can drive becuae I've BC license.

thank you :)

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So if i am getting TRV is that for 6 months on which I've to leave country after 6 months and come back again or I can stay with my dad till he has valid work permit without leaving country
and I've already done half of my studies So isn't its better to wait for an year rather paying 4times more fees. I mean I can continue my studies after getting PR.
And if I'm holding TRV instead of Study Visa is that means I've to sell my car and close my bank account as well.

The employer has to be approved for an LMIA and your father has to get his WP approved. None are guaranteed. You don’t qualify forr domestic fees if he is on a work permit. By the time that he gets PR you could be 22 or older. You also won’t qualify for PGWP if you don’t continue your full-time studies. You would be taking a big risk by not continuing your studies at this point.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

EDIT: and I've BC MSP (medical services plan) on TRV I think I've to loose that too.
and for drivers license I think I can drive becuae I've BC license.

I would personally not count on your father getting PR - nother is ever garanteed. I would continue with your studies and get the PGWP. That's the wisest path to take.

karan0247

Jun 30, 2019
I would personally not count on your father getting PR - nother is ever garanteed. I would continue with your studies and get the PGWP. That's the wisest path to take.
The employer has to be approved for an LMIA and your father has to get his WP approved. None are guaranteed. You don’t qualify forr domestic fees if he is on a work permit. By the time that he gets PR you could be 22 or older. You also won’t qualify for PGWP if you don’t continue your full-time studies. You would be taking a big risk by not continuing your studies at this point.
Thank you for suggesting me the right path.
but I think if he is holding work permit now and after nine months he is eligible for PNP if I'm not wrong.
I'm not going to be 22 after 9 months from now.

I know continuing study is better option but taking risk isn't bad option either because if he is not guaranteed for getting PR how about me am I guaranteed?
and I think I can apply for study permit again while living here if he is not gettin PR while I'm under 22.

because he is already on his way for PR and my study is still for 1 year then PGWP 3yrs and then from now if everything ok i'll get PR status in almost 3-4 yrs.

please let me know if I'm wrong in any way.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but I think if he is holding work permit now and after nine months he is eligible for PNP if I'm not wrong.

I know continuing study is better option but taking risk isn't bad option either because if he is not guaranteed for getting PR how about me am I guaranteed?
and I think I can apply for study permit again while living here if he is not gettin PR while I'm under 22.

because he is already on his way for PR and my study is still for 1 year then PGWP 3yrs and then from now if everything ok i'll get PR status in almost 3-4 yrs.

Sometimes PR applications are returned or refused. Always possible this could happen to your father - or the PNP rules might change and your farther may no longer qualify to apply. Or the government might lower the dependent age back to 19 like it was before (which means you would no longer be included in his application). Doesn't make sense to put all of your eggs in one basket and assume you will get PR through him.

No - you are not guaranteed PR. But you give yourself a chance if you continue your studies and then qualify for a PGWP. You're taking a risk by assuming PR is guaranteed through your father.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Does he have a work permit already? Is he under AIPP? When is your birthday? You aren’t likely going to be able to keep extending your visitor status indefinitely if you aren’t studying. If your father is working in Canada it will be very difficult for you to obtain a study permit. Your have to show that you will return home after your studies. If your father is working in Canada or applying for PR your ties to Canada will be too strong.