+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary work permit and dependent children

Amir.ali78

Jun 23, 2012
Hey Everyone,

Look I applied for a work permit plus TRV'S for me and my family.
I got a job for a LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVER and my company is very supportive of me bringin my family along.
I'm going to Alberta but I received a medical request for only myself along with a request for an updated copy of my contract.
Haven't received my family's medicla requests yet and the Commission has witheld their passports.
Really confused please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oleo_123

Dec 4, 2012
hi group,

i was nominated and exepmted from LMO, and i am about to apply for an open work permit anyone here got the same mine..but got questions..i am fixing our papers and wanted my kids 18, 17 and 14 to be with me.. what forms would they belong? if under student permit do i need to produce all the requirements posted in the checklist outside canada? thanks for ur replies..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oleo_123 said:
hi group,

i was nominated and exepmted from LMO, and i am about to apply for an open work permit anyone here got the same mine..but got questions..i am fixing our papers and wanted my kids 18, 17 and 14 to be with me.. what forms would they belong? if under student permit do i need to produce all the requirements posted in the checklist outside canada? thanks for ur replies..
If you intend for your children to study, you need to apply for study permits for them.

ashu1175

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Leon,

I am from India and i have got PNP certificate and letter which allows me to apply for OWP. My NOC is 2173.
I wanted to apply for OWP and travel with my Family (Spouse, daughter 12 year and son 7 year).
Can you please tell me if i can apply for OWP for my wife as well??
How should i fill up the study permit forms (section related to intended study and employment)
Can i apply online for same??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can apply for an OWP for your wife as well. As for study permits for children, you should start looking at the study permit application forms. Write N/A to everything that is not relevant as the application forms are meant more for college students than minor children. Write a cover letter stating that you are applying for a work permit for yourself based on PNP, OWP for your wife and study permits for children based on your work permit.

sklin

Star Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hi Leon,
I am new here.
I got PNP certificate already, and received WP visa last month, havn't landed Canada yet. Now I want to apply OWP online for my wife. Do you think my wife has to find a job offer so that she can apply the OWP? Thanks for your help in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, a spouse does not need a job offer for an OWP. That's why it's called on OWP (open work permit) because it's open for any employer.

sklin

Star Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hi Leon,

I have more questions for the form IMM1295.
Should I fill the the following two areas? ___ Or only type N/A?

"DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA" and " DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA "

I very appreciate for your help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sklin said:
Hi Leon,

I have more questions for the form IMM1295.
Should I fill the the following two areas? ___ Or only type N/A?

"DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA" and " DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA "

I very appreciate for your help!
If you are applying for an OWP, you should definitely write somewhere that you are applying for an OWP and on what grounds.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Leon said:
If you are applying for an OWP, you should definitely write somewhere that you are applying for an OWP and on what grounds.
As far as i remember (and i did fill this form twice for myself and wife) IMM1295 does have a visa category column. Among the drop down list, there is an option "open work permit". I believe that would be sufficient.

Personally, since i applied along with family, and selected open work permit for my wife, it was obvious from the application it is based upon mine.

Also in some other form (either family information or schedule 1, IMM5257) for the same applicant, there is a field to indicate whether you are the principal applicant OR spouse or other dependent of the principal applicant.

Both of these fields combine make your intensions pretty clear.

sklin

Star Member
Mar 2, 2013
Leon said:
Got it, thank you!
I chose OWP, then these two questions no need to fill.
Almost ready to apply online, only payment now.
Wish it will go smoothly!
Good luck to all of us!

patient

Jul 26, 2013
Hi! I am a newbie here. I would like to ask if there is a possibility that my husband can apply an open work permit for me. He is a semi skilled worker in Alberta. Thank you very much! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
patient said:
Hi! I am a newbie here. I would like to ask if there is a possibility that my husband can apply an open work permit for me. He is a semi skilled worker in Alberta. Thank you very much! :)
No, a semi skilled worker does not have the right to bring his spouse on an open permit. You would have to get your own permit.

If your husband is an occupation that he could be sponsored by his employer for his immigration through the provincial nominee program, he should include you on his application. After he gets his nomination, you may qualify for a work permit.