+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking IELTS and have a question? We are here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Yes, I'd find it frustrating for sure. Academic reading is much longer and more complicated. You'll find the vast difference in topics when compare the 2 types of tests. I'd rather to get used to the test I'm going to take, than practicing on the different ones.
Thanks for your kind and swift response.
For General reading what resources you would suggest to me ?
Rather than Cambridge : I know from Cambridge 11 to the last one (I'm not sure what's the number is that)
we have academic and general version.

and one inquiry more about reading
Practicing roughly 30-40 standard passages like Cambridge could be enough to get band 8 (not less not even more) I've known many candidates who have been gotten band 9 in both Listening and Reading as well.

If someone tend to practice all Cambridge it's about 30 passages .from 1 to last one

kumori

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Thanks for your kind and swift response.
For General reading what resources you would suggest to me ?
Rather than Cambridge : I know from Cambridge 11 to the last one (I'm not sure what's the number is that)
we have academic and general version.

and one inquiry more about reading
Practicing roughly 30-40 standard passages like Cambridge could be enough to get band 8 (not less not even more) I've known many candidates who have been gotten band 9 in both Listening and Reading as well.

If someone tend to practice all Cambridge it's about 30 passages .from 1 to last one
Hi, again, Cambridge IELTS books are the only one I have ever practiced on, for both Academic and General Training tests. A month before the test, I often finished at least 1 book per week for Listening and Reading sections.

From personal experience, to get 9 on Reading, you should stop after the 2nd books (after 8 mock tests), studying on what type of task you're losing point most often. It's always T/F/NG type for me, so besides continuing with full mock test, I tried to find more test examples of that type and practice more on it. I went back to older Cambridge books and just practice on that type only. I took IELTS GT twice, got 8.5 and 9 for Reading. Another note to keep in mind, for Canadian Immigration purpose, 8.0 on Reading is already the maximum requirement for CLB 10, I myself didn't sweat on the 9.0 Reading.

Then for Listening, honestly, there's no tips and tricks for me on this section, other than listening to English everyday and improve your listening skill naturally. Practicing on Cambridge books might help on the types of task (like preparing to note down phone numbers, strange street name with the help of spelling etc.), but if your listening skill is not that good, you'd easily get lost on Section 3 and 4 of long conversation and long monologue, and you can only guess the answers. I personally left Ted talk video running as background noise while I'm working, to kinda passively listen to it. Same note with Reading, find out what type of task you're weak at, get more practice on it. I'm always scared of matching places on the map, while my friend often lost points on dictation.

• Love
Reactions: santi_marlon

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Hi, again, Cambridge IELTS books are the only one I have ever practiced on, for both Academic and General Training tests. A month before the test, I often finished at least 1 book per week for Listening and Reading sections.

From personal experience, to get 9 on Reading, you should stop after the 2nd books (after 8 mock tests), studying on what type of task you're losing point most often. It's always T/F/NG type for me, so besides continuing with full mock test, I tried to find more test examples of that type and practice more on it. I went back to older Cambridge books and just practice on that type only. I took IELTS GT twice, got 8.5 and 9 for Reading. Another note to keep in mind, for Canadian Immigration purpose, 8.0 on Reading is already the maximum requirement for CLB 10, I myself didn't sweat on the 9.0 Reading.

Then for Listening, honestly, there's no tips and tricks for me on this section, other than listening to English everyday and improve your listening skill naturally. Practicing on Cambridge books might help on the types of task (like preparing to note down phone numbers, strange street name with the help of spelling etc.), but if your listening skill is not that good, you'd easily get lost on Section 3 and 4 of long conversation and long monologue, and you can only guess the answers. I personally left Ted talk video running as background noise while I'm working, to kinda passively listen to it. Same note with Reading, find out what type of task you're weak at, get more practice on it. I'm always scared of matching places on the map, while my friend often lost points on dictation.
Hello many thanks
studying on what type of task you're losing point most ofte
I entirely agree, for figuring out what problem has been caused you get lower point.
I tried to find more test examples of that type and practice more on it
Very good tips, agree
for Canadian Immigration purpose, 8.0 on Reading is already the maximum requirement for CLB 10, I myself didn't sweat on the 9.0 Reading.
Yes, Yes , correct.thanks
everyday and improve your listening skill naturally
Yes, thanks for your mentioning dear

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019

Could you please inform us your tips and experiencing for getting 7.5 in speaking and 7 in writing

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
Hi Team,
I have received IELTS score and its 6.5, 6.5, 6.0 and 6.0. Do you think, its enough to setup profile in EE or do we need to score more to keep EE profile active?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
OK. Thanks for your response. As I am asking, my question is only related to IELTS and not concerned about WES or 67...Can you please let me know, if IELTS score is good?
Ok but if you don’t have 67 points you aren’t eligible for EE but your score is CLB 7 (the minimum required). That is what you need to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.