+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa Questions (Sorry for re-post)

Shawarma

Jul 31, 2010
Dear Seniors,

Sorry for re-posting, but I posted this earlier in the Visitors sub-forum but didn't get any replies. I would greatly appreciate if someone can shed some light ...

I would appreciate some clarity on what my parents just experienced.
  • I had applied for a SuperVisa for them about 3 years ago.
  • They arrived to Canada on the SuperVisa and got 2 years entry for the first time. They left within a period of a year.
  • Now, they came back this month and the officer only gave them a 6 months stay! They said you should have extended the SuperVisa the first time around ?! What does that even mean ?! The maximum they could give was only 6 months.
Guys - I bought the tickets for my parents 11 months into the future. They only now have 6 months on their entry. My options I believe are the following, can someone advise?

• Change their ticket date
  • Drive to the US border and hope that the Canadian side extends their visa for another 6 months? Would this work? They have US visitor visas
    • Buy a flight ticket to a US city and then re-enter Canada - if driving wouldn't work.
  • The agent mentioned that after the 5th month - I can apply for an extension. Can someone please share any experience on this? Where do I apply? What duration do they extend for?

Is this correct treatment? Have we done something incorrectly? I don't really know what extending the Supervisa at their previous stay means? They were leaving within 2 years - how does it make sense to extend it further.

MANY thanks in advance for anyone that might be able to reply. Thank you ...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A super visa doesn't guarantee your parents will be allowed into Canada for 2 years. How long they are allowed in is up to the CBSA officer they encounter at the border. So yes - there was nothing wrong with how they were treated from that regard. When they entered Canada, did they have paperwork to show they had travel insurance to cover a 2 year period? Also, when did they last leave Canada?

Driving to the US border is risky and generally not a good idea. Apply to extend their visitor status from within Canada at around the 5 month mark. Note they don't have to apply 30 days before their status expires - this is just a guideline. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=473&top=16

Shawarma

Jul 31, 2010
Thank you scylla for the reply. Yes, they had their SuperVisa insurance for a period of 1 year. You cannot buy it for longer, and it has to be extended. There was no issue with the insurance.

Why do you state driving to the border is risky? Can you please elaborate.

Also, I read the link that you have sent, but there is no mention of how much longer the visa can be extended for? Do you know please? Would you recommend applying right now? Or closer to the date of when their stay ends ?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
This can go either way. There is a risk that the CBSA officer you encounter will deny them entry to Canada if they try this. They would have no option for re-entry and would have to return home. Applying for an extension is much safer as your parents would have implied status while the extension is processing (currently 98 days online and 118 for paper applications) and until you get the result.
Don’t apply until after they have been here for 5 months (IRCC must receive the application before the current period of entry expires. Applying now would likely result in a refusal.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you scylla for the reply. Yes, they had their SuperVisa insurance for a period of 1 year. You cannot buy it for longer, and it has to be extended. There was no issue with the insurance.

Also, I read the link that you have sent, but there is no mention of how much longer the visa can be extended for? Do you know please? Would you recommend applying right now? Or closer to the date of when their stay ends ?
As said above, a border run could result in CBSA refusing them re-entry. CBSA takes a much harder stance on long-term visitors than IRCC does.

There is no set time that visitor status can be extended; it depends on the person's circumstances and the officer processing the app. Wait until their status is close to expiring.