+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

supervisa insurance question

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Ok so I we will be trying to get a supervise for my mother in law. We have all the requirements except she doesn't have many if any ties to Philippines, no bank account, no job ect. Anyway we will try.

My question is, for the insurance, if she was to only stay for about 3-4 months on the first visit, the insurance is way to expensive.

Has anyone found a way around this, or one that can cancel after she leaves?

Please share your experience.

Also, in another thread, someone told me that she will only be able to stay for 1 two year period, but the way that I read the cic website is that it will be a multiple entry visa and she will be able to come and go as many times as she wants, but can only stay for a total of 2 years in the 10 year period, am I correct?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ok so I we will be trying to get a supervise for my mother in law. We have all the requirements except she doesn't have many if any ties to Philippines, no bank account, no job ect. Anyway we will try.

My question is, for the insurance, if she was to only stay for about 3-4 months on the first visit, the insurance is way to expensive.
You may want to consider applying for a TRV instead. You would need to figure out some strong ties/some compelling reasons for her to return to the Philippines. Dependent family members could be one reason.

If she does apply for a TRV then do not state a visit of 3-4 months. Keep it to 3-4 weeks max.

She can apply for a super visa later (even if she has a valid TRV) when she would like to stay for close to two years at one stretch. Otherwise, IMO, you would be "wasting" the super visa if she intends to only visit initially for 3-4 months.

Has anyone found a way around this, or one that can cancel after she leaves?
Yes, it is possible to have it canceled. You would need to speak with insurance companies.

Also, in another thread, someone told me that she will only be able to stay for 1 two year period, but the way that I read the cic website is that it will be a multiple entry visa and she will be able to come and go as many times as she wants, but can only stay for a total of 2 years in the 10 year period, am I correct?
This has been clarified here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-supervisa-for-my-mother-in-law-what-do-i-need-to-know-philippines.550131/#post-6856214

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
She can come and go as many times as she wants to if she is granted a 10-years multiple-entry super visa. However, she is allowed to stay for up to 2 years (at one stretch) ONLY the first time she visits on the new super visa. This makes it different from a TRV.

For all other subsequent visits (as many times as she wants to come and go), the officer at the POE will assess each entry + s/he can allow her to stay for a maximum of 6 months even if she is visiting on a super visa

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
You may want to consider applying for a TRV instead. You would need to figure out some strong ties/some compelling reasons for her to return to the Philippines. Dependent family members could be one reason.

If she does apply for a TRV then do not state a visit of 3-4 months. Keep it to 3-4 weeks max.

She can apply for a super visa later (even if she has a valid TRV) when she would like to stay for close to two years at one stretch. Otherwise, IMO, you would be "wasting" the super visa if she intends to only visit initially for 3-4 months.

Yes, it is possible to have it canceled. You would need to speak with insurance companies.

This has been clarified here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-supervisa-for-my-mother-in-law-what-do-i-need-to-know-philippines.550131/#post-6856214
I will have to go for the supervisa. I know it is considered a waste, but with zero ties to Philippines, I read that the supervisa is based more on the person sponsoring her (me). I make well over the amount needed and can provide for her, but if she was to take a regular trv, she will be denied for sure, she has literally nothing except her store which is in my wifes name.

Is it true what I am reading about the supervisa being easier to get then a regular TRV? We haven't worked out the details yeat, but it is possible that she could come here for a 2 year period right away.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I will have to go for the supervisa. I know it is considered a waste, but with zero ties to Philippines, I read that the supervisa is based more on the person sponsoring her (me). I make well over the amount needed and can provide for her, but if she was to take a regular trv, she will be denied for sure, she has literally nothing except her store which is in my wifes name.

Is it true what I am reading about the supervisa being easier to get then a regular TRV? We haven't worked out the details yeat, but it is possible that she could come here for a 2 year period right away.
IMO, it isn't that the super visa is easier to get than a regular TRV...there are definitely more requirements. The fact that being able to submit those requirements already "filters" qualified applicants, making approval more likely, as opposed to a regular TRV where requirements are often arbitrary/case-to-case. Also, a broader net of applicants for a regular TRV (compared to super visas only for parents/grandparents of Canadian residents/citizens) skews the approval rates much lower.

I also have to agree with you that a super visa might be better for your MIL's case for those same reasons. She can go for the two-year stay as soon as she gets the visa (and if the CBSA officer authorizes her to do so).

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
IMO, it isn't that the super visa is easier to get than a regular TRV...there are definitely more requirements. The fact that being able to submit those requirements already "filters" qualified applicants, making approval more likely, as opposed to a regular TRV where requirements are often arbitrary/case-to-case. Also, a broader net of applicants for a regular TRV (compared to super visas only for parents/grandparents of Canadian residents/citizens) skews the approval rates much lower.

I also have to agree with you that a super visa might be better for your MIL's case for those same reasons. She can go for the two-year stay as soon as she gets the visa (and if the CBSA officer authorizes her to do so).
Thanks for the reply. I just think that it will be easier to get the supervisa. We are planning on having children in the near future so I just want to get the supervisa so that I don't have to worry about it when the time comes for her to come here for the birth of her first grandchild, I think I will have enough to worry about hahaha.

Also, I was talking to my wife last night about this and her PR process. I have a whole new insight into the world of immigration and I have a great amount of sympathy for everyone on these boards. Immigration is a massive struggle with heartache and worry. I was born and raised in Canada and never even thought about immigration until I met my wife. I am grateful to go through this with her and see the satisfaction and joy that it brings when these applications get approved.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
BTW, the Philippines has recently started issuing 10-year passports, and I've heard of Philippine passport holders getting 10-year multiple-entry TRVs. Might be a good idea to have your MIL get a fresh passport just before you apply for her super visa.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
BTW, the Philippines has recently started issuing 10-year passports, and I've heard of Philippine passport holders getting 10-year multiple-entry TRVs. Might be a good idea to have your MIL get a fresh passport just before you apply for her super visa.
she is actually getting that now. That's a whole other story, she had no birth cert, so she had to get that. now she needs a baptismal cert which she is trying to get and her appointment is in a week... so its very stressful.