+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Supervisa for my mother in law, what do I need to know? (Philippines)

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hello,

My wife is going to be receiving her PR any week now and we are looking ahead to getting her mother a supervisa so that she can come here for a visit and return for our childs eventual birth (not pregnant yet)

What do I need to know?

We have applied and received a regular temp visitor visa for her brother in the past, but how is a super visa different?

Also, how long does the process take?

I am assuming that we need to fill out the paperwork, supply all of our financial documents, marriage cert ect. Do we need her to do a medical? do we need insurance?

Please let me know as this is the first and probably only time we will ever need to do this.

Thanks!!!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hey,

It's been a while. Good to see you here :)

My wife is going to be receiving her PR any week now and we are looking ahead to getting her mother a supervisa so that she can come here for a visit and return for our childs eventual birth (not pregnant yet)
Glad to see that all is well with you. The second bit about not being pregnant yet is :):)

What do I need to know?
The basics for a super visa:
1. The focus is on your financials to cover her 2 year stay.

2. You must meet LICO for 3 persons (I'm assuming it's yourself + your wife + your mom-in-law)

3. Your MIL must have super visa medical insurance for a minimum of CAD 100,000 + go through medicals

4. She must be able to demonstrate some ties to the Philippines

We have applied and received a regular temp visitor visa for her brother in the past, but how is a super visa different?
She would be allowed to stay for 2 years on the initial entry if the officer hand writes a date below the entry stamp.... otherwise her stay would be for 6 months even on a super visa entry.

I am assuming that we need to fill out the paperwork, supply all of our financial documents, marriage cert ect. Do we need her to do a medical? do we need insurance?
Yes, to all questions

Reactions: joeythecat

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hey,

Glad to see that all is well with you. The second bit about not being pregnant yet is :):)

2. You must meet LICO for 3 persons (I'm assuming it's yourself + your wife + your mom-in-law)

3. Your MIL must have super visa medical insurance for a minimum of CAD 100,000 + go through medicals

She would be allowed to stay for 2 years on the initial entry if the officer hand writes a date below the entry stamp.... otherwise her stay would be for 6 months even on a super visa entry.

Yes, to all questions

Thanks so much. we literally just got the PR interview email just now, so things are finally moving. I guess this supervisa will be the next step in our journey

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hey,

Yes, to all questions
The part about 2 years, isn't the supervise 2 years of stay in a 10 year period? that means she can come here 10 times for a few months at a time right?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The part about 2 years, isn't the supervise 2 years of stay in a 10 year period? that means she can come here 10 times for a few months at a time right?
No, that's not right.

She can stay for up to 2 years at one stretch, on a super visa, the first time she visits. She can then apply to extend her stay.... and all going well, could be issued a max. extension of 6 months.

Her subsequent visits on the super visa would allow her to stay for 6 months at a time (can apply to extend the stay).... but she won't be able to stay for another 2 years from the date of initial entry

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
No, that's not right.

She can stay for up to 2 years at one stretch, on a super visa, the first time she visits. She can then apply to extend her stay.... and all going well, could be issued a max. extension of 6 months.

Her subsequent visits on the super visa would allow her to stay for 6 months at a time (can apply to extend the stay).... but she won't be able to stay for another 2 years from the date of initial entry
oh wow ok. I thought she would be able to come and go. She does not want to come here for 2 full years the first time, she has a life and store back home that she needs to go back to. What would you do? Just apply for a regular travel visa for 4-6 months? I thought that she would be able to come back whenever she wanted in the 10 years....

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
No, that's not right.

but it says that the visa is a multiple entry visa and valid for 10 years. So why cant she come and go when we want her here for 3-4 months at a time?

from the cic website
"The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only."

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
oh wow ok. I thought she would be able to come and go. She does not want to come here for 2 full years the first time, she has a life and store back home that she needs to go back to. What would you do? Just apply for a regular travel visa for 4-6 months? I thought that she would be able to come back whenever she wanted in the 10 years....
Not sure what gave you the impression from anything in this thread that she can't come and go. You were just corrected when you mentioned "total of 2 years of stay in a 10 year period." Everything else you understand, including coming and going for reasonable stays (and the way you describe your MIL, she intends to do so), about a super visa is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanna

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Not sure what gave you the impression from anything in this thread that she can't come and go. You were just corrected when you mentioned "total of 2 years of stay in a 10 year period." Everything else you understand, including coming and going for reasonable stays (and the way you describe your MIL, she intends to do so), about a super visa is correct.
ah I re-read it again, I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing it up for me.