+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa application for Mother-in-Law - Zero ties to Philippines... What to do?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Such wonderful news. Congratulations :):)

Now that there's a baby on the way, you can consider applying for a super visa for your mom-in-law so she can stay longer. Hopefully for up to two years. She can demonstrate the same strong ties that she was building up for the TRV.

Do post the list of documents + changed circumstances, etc before you apply. IMO, it's too early to apply
Thanks, we are super excited, its our first child. When should we apply? around November I guess? I was reading that the processing time was 4 months but we want to get it in enough time to get a decent price on a flight as well as her being here before the birth.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
@Bryanna so on the supervisa application/invitation letter is it advisable to mention that my wife is pregnant or just go with the fact that they haven't seen each other in 5 years and leave any mention of the grandchilds birth out of it?

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks, we are super excited, its our first child. When should we apply? around November I guess? I was reading that the processing time was 4 months but we want to get it in enough time to get a decent price on a flight as well as her being here before the birth.
Do take a bit more time to prepare a more stronger application. Don't rush.

@Bryanna so on the supervisa application/invitation letter is it advisable to mention that my wife is pregnant
Strictly no-no.

or just go with the fact that they haven't seen each other in 5 years and leave any mention of the grandchilds birth out of it?
Would like to spend some time together, sightseeing, etc. No mention about the baby or that your wife is pregnant

Tonetteflores

Jun 29, 2017
Hello. Hope someone could enlighten me. My mom just landed here in Toronto. She has a PG1 supervisa but her passport was stamped to stay for only 6 months. I thought she could stay for 2 years on supervisa? She did medicals and I bought her a travel insurance for 1 year. Do i apply for an extension or what??? Help please

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hello. Hope someone could enlighten me. My mom just landed here in Toronto. She has a PG1 supervisa but her passport was stamped to stay for only 6 months. I thought she could stay for 2 years on supervisa? She did medicals and I bought her a travel insurance for 1 year. Do i apply for an extension or what??? Help please
here is what I found on the site, not sure why they gave you only 6 months but seems like the officer at the border makes the call.

"Typically, when officers are satisfied that the foreign nationals are admissible, entry is granted for a six-month period, unless they hold a Parent and Grandparent Extended Stay Temporary Resident Visa (PG-1 or letter of introduction from the visa office), in which case entry may be granted for a period of up to two years on each entry."

Tonetteflores

Jun 29, 2017
here is what I found on the site, not sure why they gave you only 6 months but seems like the officer at the border makes the call.

"Typically, when officers are satisfied that the foreign nationals are admissible, entry is granted for a six-month period, unless they hold a Parent and Grandparent Extended Stay Temporary Resident Visa (PG-1 or letter of introduction from the visa office), in which case entry may be granted for a period of up to two years on each entry."
So it does not differ from a regular visa then. Medicals was not cheap and also considering the insurance.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
So it does not differ from a regular visa then. Medicals was not cheap and also considering the insurance.
I would say its different, in my opinion because of the medical and insurance it is easier to get. Some of the burden gets moved from the parent over to the child like minimum income etc. Some parents may not qualify on their own otherwise either due to not working anymore either because of retirement or being a housewife or having stronger ties to Canada than their home country. I don't have stats but I would assume in most cases parents on a supervise get a longer stay than 6 months and most probably get the 2 years (my assumption). Either the visa officer made a mistake or something transpired between them and your mother which hinted to the officer that your mother intends to live here.