+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa application for Mother-in-Law - Zero ties to Philippines... What to do?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
No she has nothing at all. my mother-in-law supports herself with her store in a public market. It is a cash based business and she uses that money to live. She has no bank account and zero savings. She does not pay taxes which is another story. But should we just put that she is retired and that's why she has no income?
Maybe she should open a bank account and start depositing some of the income there. She would need to show she has some savings (however meagre that might be) even if she applies for a super visa.

The only solution I can think:
She must defer her plans to visit until she is ready to stay for up to 2 years (or at least much longer than what a TRV would allow her to stay).

Currently, a TRV seems to be a non-starter. And, IMO, the efforts and costs for getting a super visa will be futile if she intends to visit for only 2-3 months initially.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee a super visa will be approved given her present circumstances. But, she might have some chance if she holds off her application until she creates some ties and some finances

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Maybe she should open a bank account and start depositing some of the income there. She would need to show she has some savings (however meagre that might be) even if she applies for a super visa.

The only solution I can think:
She must defer her plans to visit until she is ready to stay for up to 2 years (or at least much longer than what a TRV would allow her to stay).

Currently, a TRV seems to be a non-starter. And, IMO, the efforts and costs for getting a super visa will be futile if she intends to visit for only 2-3 months initially.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee a super visa will be approved given her present circumstances. But, she might have some chance if she holds off her application until she creates some ties and some finances

Thanks for the replies. I have no choice but to try and see what happens. should I try a regular TRV first or is that just a waste of time (yes I realize most likely both ways are a waste of time). But I think we have a better shot with the super visa. The insurance can always be refunded, so really there isn't much cost to give it a try.

Also, if we open a bank account and put money in it, wont they see that all the deposits are from me? She literally has no money, not even enough to eat sometimes. Ugh. I just want to get her here, she will go back just like my brother in law did, but convincing a officer of that is a different story.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I have no choice but to try and see what happens. should I try a regular TRV first or is that just a waste of time (yes I realize most likely both ways are a waste of time). But I think we have a better shot with the super visa. The insurance can always be refunded, so really there isn't much cost to give it a try.
One point for consideration:
When you need her for a super visa stay of about 2 years, it won't be possible later if she has exhausted the initial entry for a short visit of only 4-5 months.

Quite honestly, IMO, her chances of getting a super visa or a TRV are quite slim at the moment

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
One point for consideration:
When you need her for a super visa stay of about 2 years, it won't be possible later if she has exhausted the initial entry for a short visit of only 4-5 months.

Quite honestly, IMO, her chances of getting a super visa or a TRV are quite slim at the moment
I think so too, but I need to try. What if I apply for a TRV and it gets denied, then try for a supervisa, I guess it will hurt my case even more?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think so too, but I need to try. What if I apply for a TRV and it gets denied, then try for a supervisa, I guess it will hurt my case even more?
IMO, it's not a nice idea to go down this path where you anticipate visa refusals. It will only cause disappointment and frustration.

Visa applications must be given serious thought. Go for it only if the perceived chances of an approval outweigh the possibility of a refusal.

One other point:
Please state only the true facts in a visa app. These facts must be supported by evidence. It would be incorrect/even misrepresentation to state she is retired because she has a business.

Going forward if she is lucky to get selected for a PGP PR/any other visa application, the facts stated in this application would be on record for comparison/reference

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
IMO, it's not a nice idea to go down this path where you anticipate visa refusals. It will only cause disappointment and frustration.

Visa applications must be given serious thought. Go for it only if the perceived chances of an approval outweigh the possibility of a refusal.

One other point:
Please state only the true facts in a visa app. These facts must be supported by evidence. It would be incorrect/even misrepresentation to state she is retired because she has a business.

Going forward if she is lucky to get selected for a PGP PR/any other visa application, the facts stated in this application would be on record for comparison/reference
Good point. I will never bend the truth about these things. I am just trying to look at all options.

There must be cases of approval when the parent has nothing to their name, isn't that the whole reason of a super visa?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
There must be cases of approval when the parent has nothing to their name, isn't that the whole reason of a super visa?
Sure, there are cases.

I've seen a case from the Dakar visa office a couple of years ago.... the lady didn't have any finances/no ties but was granted a super visa.

And, someone else whom I had helped. IMO, the circumstances + zero finances + zero ties made it one of the most challenging cases. But, the lady put in considerable efforts over a few months to help her mom to establish ties before she applied for a super visa.

If there's no urgency for your mom-in-law to visit then I recommend building up her ties to the Philippines first. Please don't be in a hurry to apply

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Sure, there are cases.

I've seen a case from the Dakar visa office a couple of years ago.... the lady didn't have any finances/no ties but was granted a super visa.

And, someone else whom I had helped. IMO, the circumstances + zero finances + zero ties made it one of the most challenging cases. But, the lady put in considerable efforts over a few months to help her mom to establish ties before she applied for a super visa.

If there's no urgency for your mom-in-law to visit then I recommend building up her ties to the Philippines first. Please don't be in a hurry to apply

Ok well what should my course of action be? Open a bank account in her name and start putting money in it? I was thinking, I can send the money to her son and he can give her the cash to deposit into her account. That way it wont look like we are supporting her. what else can we do? I can try to get her as a co-signer on the house, but it wont be easy. My wifes brother is the one who has signing authority for my wife as she is out of the country.

As far as the store, it is not really a legal business, it is a stall in a public market and apparently the taxes haven't been paid in years.

Last edited:

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
@Bryanna This is what I am in the process of doing, taking your advice. The home she lives in is in my wifes name but we are getting her mom as the power of attorney. The notarized documents will have a date of June 2018, will this be seen as a problem, like we changed it specifically to get the visa?

Also for the store in the market, we have hired a accountant that is going to help sort the papers out and put them in my mother-in-laws name. This will be paying the taxes and receiving an up to date business license.

As far as a bank account she will open one but what do you think is the best thing to do about that, we dont want to put too much, maybe just a weekly deposit of a little amount.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna This is what I am in the process of doing, taking your advice. The home she lives in is in my wifes name but we are getting her mom as the power of attorney. The notarized documents will have a date of June 2018, will this be seen as a problem, like we changed it specifically to get the visa?
I'm not sure how property matters work in the Philippines.

Can your mom-in-law include evidence:
1. She lives/has been living at that address since XX years
2. She has been taking care of property matters for that home. For example, home maintenance/renovations, payment of taxes
3. She needs to return home for some property matter

Also for the store in the market, we have hired a accountant that is going to help sort the papers out and put them in my mother-in-laws name. This will be paying the taxes and receiving an up to date business license.
That's good. And, she must save as much as she can.

BTW can her older son financially support her visit? I think he works in an automobile showroom if my memory is correct.

As far as a bank account she will open one but what do you think is the best thing to do about that, we dont want to put too much, maybe just a weekly deposit of a little amount.
Two accounts: One for the business, the other one for her personal savings

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
I'm not sure how property matters work in the Philippines.

Can your mom-in-law include evidence:
1. She lives/has been living at that address since XX years
2. She has been taking care of property matters for that home. For example, home maintenance/renovations, payment of taxes
3. She needs to return home for some property matter

That's good. And, she must save as much as she can.

BTW can her older son financially support her visit? I think he works in an automobile showroom if my memory is correct.

Two accounts: One for the business, the other one for her personal savings
Thanks for the response. We are trying to do our best to get some sort of papers.

We have nothing to say she has been living at that address, she just got ID (passport and some sort of voters id or something) and had no paperwork at all. she will be the power of attorney so she will be making the house payments, but the file will show that it was just changed to her name.

Her son cannot financially support her, all the money that he makes goes to his motorcycle and food, he gets a bag of rice per month that he gives to his mom so they can eat (this is how poor they are).

for any bank accounts we will be making up the funds, we will be sending them money to put into the account. They have zero savings and zero profits, whatever they make in a day barely covers the food that they will eat for the next day so there isn't anything to save from the business or a personal account. Also, by the time we apply there will only be 1-2 months of bank records that just show money being put in.

What I am trying to ask is, are anything of these things going to hurt us rather then help us?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the response. We are trying to do our best to get some sort of papers.

We have nothing to say she has been living at that address, she just got ID (passport and some sort of voters id or something) and had no paperwork at all. she will be the power of attorney so she will be making the house payments, but the file will show that it was just changed to her name.

Her son cannot financially support her, all the money that he makes goes to his motorcycle and food, he gets a bag of rice per month that he gives to his mom so they can eat (this is how poor they are).

for any bank accounts we will be making up the funds, we will be sending them money to put into the account. They have zero savings and zero profits, whatever they make in a day barely covers the food that they will eat for the next day so there isn't anything to save from the business or a personal account. Also, by the time we apply there will only be 1-2 months of bank records that just show money being put in.

What I am trying to ask is, are anything of these things going to hurt us rather then help us?
So sorry to hear about your mom-in-law's situation. It's not easy to prove that someone is a genuine visitor when s/he has financial hardships. Give it your best shot. You did it for your younger brother-in-law. Hopefully, your mom-in-law will be approved too.

IMO, there are two scenarios:
1. Build the strong ties for the TRV. This strategy means she wouldn't apply for the next 5-6 months, or
2. Apply for a super visa if she intends to stay for up to two years on the initial entry

Is it possible for her to build some travel history too? Not to countries in the Far East/ South-East Asia
Will the older son be getting married this year?
Are you and your wife likely to visit the Philippines this year?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
So sorry to hear about your mom-in-law's situation. It's not easy to prove that someone is a genuine visitor when s/he has financial hardships. Give it your best shot. You did it for your younger brother-in-law. Hopefully, your mom-in-law will be approved too.

IMO, there are two scenarios:
1. Build the strong ties for the TRV. This strategy means she wouldn't apply for the next 5-6 months, or
2. Apply for a super visa if she intends to stay for up to two years on the initial entry

Is it possible for her to build some travel history too? Not to countries in the Far East/ South-East Asia
Will the older son be getting married this year?
Are you and your wife likely to visit the Philippines this year?
The biggest problem that I am facing is that there is pressure to get the visa from my wife and her mom as they both miss each other so much. We wont be going to the Philippines for personal reasons, so our only chance is to get the canadian visa. As far as travel history, she has never been anywhere and doesn't have the money to go anywhere else. no, her sons are not getting married, they still live with her, he is still in school and the younger one works full time.

I will also include in my invitation letter that her son was here for the wedding and went back as required, maybe that will show that we follow the rules, maybe not.

They do not want to wait another 6 months for this, so I think we will just get the store and house sorted out and apply for the super visa in about a month or two. To me it would be better to wait and build a better case, but they do not want to wait that long... Hopefully my finances, my home ownership ect will be enough to get the approval. We only want her to come for about 4-5 months for the first visit, I know this is considered a waste, but really I just want to set this up so she can come back a few times in the coming years.

At this point I just need to work up the papers for the store and house and go with what I have.... and just pray...

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The biggest problem that I am facing is that there is pressure to get the visa from my wife and her mom as they both miss each other so much. We wont be going to the Philippines for personal reasons, so our only chance is to get the canadian visa. As far as travel history, she has never been anywhere and doesn't have the money to go anywhere else. no, her sons are not getting married, they still live with her, he is still in school and the younger one works full time.
I was hoping there were other reasons to prove she must return to the Philippines.

I will also include in my invitation letter that her son was here for the wedding and went back as required, maybe that will show that we follow the rules, maybe not.
It won't hurt to add this.

They do not want to wait another 6 months for this, so I think we will just get the store and house sorted out and apply for the super visa in about a month or two. To me it would be better to wait and build a better case, but they do not want to wait that long... Hopefully my finances, my home ownership ect will be enough to get the approval. We only want her to come for about 4-5 months for the first visit, I know this is considered a waste, but really I just want to set this up so she can come back a few times in the coming years.
For the super visa, your finances are key. Your documents aren't the issue here.

It would be wise to wait and build a better visa application. Truly hope your wife would realize that her mom doesn't have a good application.

For your wedding too, your mom-in-law didn't have any chance of a TRV approval. That's why we had advised applying for your brother-in-law instead.

At this point I just need to work up the papers for the store and house and go with what I have.... and just pray...
I still recommend waiting for another couple of months (at the least) after getting the paperwork sorted. Nonetheless, fingers crossed it works

Rabiafazl

May 31, 2018
Hi there,my name is Rabia. I have come to US for a visit and i got a six months visa. Now there is a wedding coming in canada of a friend that i wish to attend. Can i apply for visit visa from USA. Also i am a citizen of pakistan nd hold a PR of student .. Does my PR makes me eligible for e-visa? Or i would just be needing an entry stamp to canada on the border aince i would be traveling by road. Please help me out and if i need to apply for visit visa where should i go ? Off? Form link?Im residing in chicago right now. Need help desperatly il be thankful if i could be guided.