+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - anyone applied as yet?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi Guys, I'm in need of your help.

My parents are planning to visit Canada in early 2019. Their age is 65. They are planning to visit just for 6-7 weeks.
I'm confused under which category they should apply for a visa.
1) Super visa or 2) Visitor visa
What are the best chances to get the visa?

The reason I'm confused is their age and if they get a longer visa, they can travel in future as well without going under the visa process.
Also, just want to confirm: Do i need their health insurance bought in advance in both the category?

Your help is really appreciated. Please let me know.

Thanks
Health insurance is only mandatory with super visa application, 1 years worth up front for both and you would have to meet the income requirement for the number of family members involved. (I'm assuming you are either PR or citizen in Canada?)

Having said that, considering their age it is always wise to get medical insurance even with visitor visa. If something serious was to happen, or even just a slip or fall and the medical costs could add up.

If you are concerned about future visits, if they do get granted a regular visitor visa chances are it will be multi entry until the expiry of their passport. So they would be able to travel in the future without having to go through the process again.
In my opinion a super visa is easier to get as it will more focus on your financial situation than theirs, but then you would have to request a stay longer than 6 months.

Reactions: spanchal.vfx

goodenough

Feb 22, 2017
Hi guys,

Can anyone help and explain how to start a super visa application online for parents? (I am a PR). Can't seem to be able to receive the right configuration through "Come to Canada" tool. First I tried using my own CIC profile - didn't work very well since to get to the question of "would you like to invite your family to Canada" I had to fill out the questionnaires saying that I will also be coming to Canada as a visitor? (but I'm already here). When I tried creating a separate profile for my Mom and answering the questions on her behalf, the only option I got at the end was regular TRV. Very confused. How do I get there?

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
@goodenough I had to create a separate profile and feel it out on her behalf. I had my mom on the phone, she answered questions, I completed forms. Then I emailed it to her, she signed and sent back to me.
When you go through the questions after creating the profile, make sure you put that your parent wants to stay here 1-2 years, then it will prompt you to apply for super visa.

goodenough

Feb 22, 2017
@goodenough I had to create a separate profile and feel it out on her behalf. I had my mom on the phone, she answered questions, I completed forms. Then I emailed it to her, she signed and sent back to me.
When you go through the questions after creating the profile, make sure you put that your parent wants to stay here 1-2 years, then it will prompt you to apply for super visa.
@Midwest thank you very much for your answer! How long ago were you doing this? I didn't see the option of staying for "1-2 years". There is only "less than 6 months", "more than 6 months" and "permanently" - none of them seem to work for super visa... I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake elsewhere

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
@Midwest thank you very much for your answer! How long ago were you doing this? I didn't see the option of staying for "1-2 years". There is only "less than 6 months", "more than 6 months" and "permanently" - none of them seem to work for super visa... I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake elsewhere
Wouldn't 1-2 years qualify as more then 6 months?

goodenough

Feb 22, 2017
Wouldn't 1-2 years qualify as more then 6 months?
@Jets13 yes it does except it doesn't work - I keep getting the "Temporary Visitor" option.

Has anyone else here recently applied for a super visa online?
Could you guys offer any insights into what could be a problem?
We have all the documents ready and are now just sitting on them because of this ... glitch?
Reaching a CIC agent on the phone has not been possible for now.

Thank you!

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
@Jets13 yes it does except it doesn't work - I keep getting the "Temporary Visitor" option.

Has anyone else here recently applied for a super visa online?
Could you guys offer any insights into what could be a problem?
We have all the documents ready and are now just sitting on them because of this ... glitch?
Reaching a CIC agent on the phone has not been possible for now.

Thank you!
I was under the impression that a super visa is a temporary resident visa. check out this link and see if you interpret the same

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/super-visa.html

goodenough

Feb 22, 2017
I was under the impression that a super visa is a temporary resident visa. check out this link and see if you interpret the same

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/super-visa.html
Thanks for this link @Jets13 - it's the first time I'm seeing this page.

This is what got me confused:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/apply.html

But I managed to get through to a CIC agent today and they told me that yes, essentially you just have to apply for a TRV and then in the application form there is allegedly a drop-down that lets you select super-visa - looking into that tonight.

goodenough

Feb 22, 2017
Hi guys, I have a question regarding the insurance for Parents Supervisa.

Has anyone had a successful experience of getting a refund after your parents left Canada to go back home?

My parents are only planning to stay with us a month or two, but I still want to try and apply for a Supervisa for them so they have it and can come visit us whenever they feel like. I got a quote from SunLife and their insurance policy states the following about refunds:

If after your arrival in Canada, you return to your country of origin before the scheduled return date or you become eligible for a provincial or territorial health insurance plan in Canada, a partial refund of premium may be requested (less $25 administration fee) for the remaining days of coverage, provided no claim has been reported or initiated.

So it sounds like, if my parents don't use the insurance in the month or two they will be staying with me, I can request a refund on the remaining months of coverage after they leave Canada? Has anyone done this before?

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Wash an

Oct 20, 2013
Now a days I see that insurance agents are offering monthly payments for Super Visa insurance. Has anyone tried the monthly option and got the visa?

sharma1990

Apr 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys
can some one please help me , i am looking for answers and i am so confused about the process , so my parents have visitor visa and now i want that to convert or apply super visa for them , what is the process for that and they are back home now, do they need to come to Canada for super visa or it can only be apply from back home .

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
Hello,
I applied for supper visa for my parents( my mom as main and my dad as accompany ).They were asked for doing medical exam.If my Mom does the medical exam and my dad doesn’t do it, they will refuse to issue visa for both applicants or only for my dad who doesn’t medical test?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello,
I applied for supper visa for my parents( my mom as main and my dad as accompany ).They were asked for doing medical exam.If my Mom does the medical exam and my dad doesn’t do it, they will refuse to issue visa for both applicants or only for my dad who doesn’t medical test?
Your dad will be refused