+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestion for accompanying Spouse and a kid

fatyma

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
Hi,

I am about to file my study permit for September 2020 session and want to add my spouse and kid in the same application. Now i am concerned and confused on which category i should file for them either Open Work Permit for Spouse or Visitor. On contrary should i apply separately for three of us? Any senior member please enlighten

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am about to file my study permit for September 2020 session and want to add my spouse and kid in the same application. Now i am concerned and confused on which category i should file for them either Open Work Permit for Spouse or Visitor. On contrary should i apply separately for three of us? Any senior member please enlighten
Spouse should apply for SOWP and child for TRV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn't it be hard to get sowp for spouse?? For kid it's always Visitor i know
Every case is different. Children aren’t guaranteed TRVs either. The primary purpose of the permit is to study. If there are concerns that the person is not a genuine student or will not be able to balance studies with demands of the children (financial and time) the study permit or TRV will be denied.

Ahmed_Saeed

Mar 1, 2020
some say apply separately if you are not confident, others say apply for visit visa for both of them (when your husband arrived, it is easy to get Open work permit). i'm also trying to find what to do

fatyma

Star Member
Apr 22, 2017
Yes converting visitor to owp is very easy however i am thinking that visitor is more risky than applying for owp but on the other hand it depends on sop plus i have plenty of time till my classes so confused what to do

Ahmed_Saeed

Mar 1, 2020
Yes converting visitor to owp is very easy however i am thinking that visitor is more risky than applying for owp but on the other hand it depends on sop plus i have plenty of time till my classes so confused what to do
I have to be there in September, i'm also confused about what to do.

Reactions: Kennybright32

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn’t say it is very easy but somewhat easier. The TRV must be obtained before the study permit. If you apply after the study permit is approved there will be concerns that you aren’t actually coming for a temporary visit and can be denied. It also comes down to the type of degree. If you are studying for a masters or PhD you are more likely to have your family approved in my opinion. These tend to be actual students and not only studying to seek immigration. Also really depends on your finances. There is never any guarantee that a student and their spouse will find employment or it may take a long time. The focus will always be on the ability for the student to pay for and complete their studies.

I would suggest applying for the study permit first. Including family tends to slow down the process. If you would not come to Canada if your family is not approved then apply all together. A spouse should apply for a SOWP in that case.

Ahmed_Saeed

Mar 1, 2020
Wouldn’t say it is very easy but somewhat easier. The TRV must be obtained before the study permit. If you apply after the study permit is approved there will be concerns that you aren’t actually coming for a temporary visit and can be denied. It also comes down to the type of degree. If you are studying for a masters or PhD you are more likely to have your family approved in my opinion. These tend to be actual students and not only studying to seek immigration. Also really depends on your finances. There is never any guarantee that a student and their spouse will find employment or it may take a long time. The focus will always be on the ability for the student to pay for and complete their studies.

I would suggest applying for the study permit first. Including family tends to slow down the process. If you would not come to Canada if your family is not approved then apply all together. A spouse should apply for a SOWP in that case.
Could you please give me your opinion on this;
I have PhD admission to start in September, my wife is pregnant and expected to deliver a baby in May, i have good bank statement, i have been working as lecturer for the last three years ( i got my master degree in May 2016). now I'm about to apply for study permit, should i apply for my wife with me to open work permit, or should i apply for my wife with me for visit visa, or should i apply alone and after i got approved, then apply for my wife and the newborn?

calvanize

Apr 26, 2016
Hi,

This thread went cold.. just wondering what decision you finally went with and what was the outcome.. I am in the same situation as you