+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit (NY or Los Angeles office) - study permit to Canada from US

yxjason

Oct 5, 2019
Please feel free to share your information and timeline of your study permit process applied from United States. This is my personal timeline of study permit:
- I submitted on May 18th
- I got my upfront medical examination on 2nd July (sent a mail through Webform to inform IRCC)
- I had my biometrics done on 21st July. (the system updated very quickly just right after biometrics done)
--- Waiting for processing ---
I almost have the same timeline with u. I submitted my application on 19th May. Upfront medical exam on 18th May. Biometric done on 14th July and I am waiting for the final decision. Since I submitted complete application, my application will be prioritized right? How fast it will be?

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Hello and thank you for your kind reply. The IRCC web form reply said "
We are pleased to confirm that the information you provided was transferred to the responsible office.

Since your file is located at the Canadian visa office in New York, USA, we invite you to contact them
Could this he the Canadian consulate not VAC? If so, will they give us an update on our application?
The mystery may be solved thanks to your thoughtful reply!!!
Yes you are correct. The visa office is not the VAC, because the VAC does not make decision on visas. If you just search Canadian Consulate in New York online, you should find their website. I remember seeing an email address specific to that office. Maybe you can email them to ask about the status of the application?

Reactions: phuongdong

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
I almost have the same timeline with u. I submitted my application on 19th May. Upfront medical exam on 18th May. Biometric done on 14th July and I am waiting for the final decision. Since I submitted complete application, my application will be prioritized right? How fast it will be?
Hello,

On IRCC’s website, they only said that “Complete application will be processed first”. Nobody really knows how long it will take for them to process the visa.

Has “Review of Eligibility“ started for your application?

Tiggeryou

Jul 25, 2020
Yes you are correct. The visa office is not the VAC, because the VAC does not make decision on visas. If you just search Canadian Consulate in New York online, you should find their website. I remember seeing an email address specific to that office. Maybe you can email them to ask about the status of the application?
Thank you for clarifying this. You have been so helpful!! You would think VAC would have suggested the New York Consulate. Will try today. Second question is if it gets approved can we still go and get in at border?

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Thank you for clarifying this. You have been so helpful!! You would think VAC would have suggested the New York Consulate. Will try today. Second question is if it gets approved can we still go and get in at border?
You are very welcome. Only the border service officer will determine whether you can or cannot enter Canada. Since you said that your presence is required in Canada, then I don't think it will be a problem. You need to make sure to bring sufficient evidence to show that your entry to Canada is non-discretionary. If you click into the Study\Work section on the website I included in the previous post, you can find specific information there. Also, they require you to have a 14-day quarantine plan. Best of luck.

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
You are very welcome. Only the border service officer will determine whether you can or cannot enter Canada. Since you said that your presence is required in Canada, then I don't think it will be a problem. You need to make sure to bring sufficient evidence to show that your entry to Canada is non-discretionary. If you click into the Study\Work section on the website I included in the previous post, you can find specific information there. Also, they require you to have a 14-day quarantine plan. Best of luck.
Your information is really helpful for this thread. Do you know or is there anybody here get approved for the visa? If there is any person has attempted to travel to Canada from U.S., please share your experience!!

Reactions: Ln_

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
Your information is really helpful for this thread. Do you know or is there anybody here get approved for the visa? If there is any person has attempted to travel to Canada from U.S., please share your experience!!
Hello,

According to this post (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-long-after-receiving-the-correspondence-letter-for-biometrics-do-you-receive-an-answer.623240/page-35), IRCC are processing visas in India. I have seen on another post that someone got their visitor visa in the U.S. for family visits.

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Hello,

According to this post (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-long-after-receiving-the-correspondence-letter-for-biometrics-do-you-receive-an-answer.623240/page-35), IRCC are processing visas in India. I have seen on another post that someone got their visitor visa in the U.S. for family visits.
Yeah you are right! It is sure that IRCC starts to process visas. I have one family member that has got visitor issued recently since the start og application in May.

Reactions: suhelm

yxjason

Oct 5, 2019
Please feel free to share your information and timeline of your study permit process applied from United States. This is my personal timeline of study permit:
- I submitted on May 18th
- I got my upfront medical examination on 2nd July (sent a mail through Webform to inform IRCC)
- I had my biometrics done on 21st July. (the system updated very quickly just right after biometrics done)
--- Waiting for processing ---
I almost have the same timeline as yours.
18th May upfront medical exam
19th May submitted application
14th July biometric in NJ
And now I am waiting for the final decision.
Finger Crossed

yxjason

Oct 5, 2019
It seems both of our applications are complete since we have done biometrics and medical exams. So I guess the “Approval-in-principle” stage does not necessarily apply to our situation.

I remember reading someone’s post on this forum that they submitted an application for visitor visa in the U.S. in July for family reunion, and their visa was approved within days.

It appears that the visa offices are certainly processing visas. It might take more time for the officers to process study permits since there are more necessary documents to verify in comparison to visitor visas. I also heard that the online applications submitted in the US are actually reviewed in Canada, and only paper applications are processed in the U.S. I do not know how true that is.
When will we get the result if we submitted complete application?

Ln_

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
When will we get the result if we submitted complete application?
That is a very good question. I think many of us here have the same question to ask as well. I have seen on this post that someone got their Approval-In-Principle letter from the Canadian Embassy in Africa. It also seems that they are slowly issuing visas in India too, but I have no idea about what is going in the U.S.

Reactions: Hani.soltani

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
I heard applications applied from USA were processed in Canada? Is it true?
Yes, the application from USA will be processed in Canada. Mine application is currently processed in Ottawa (you can find the reference in Correspondence Letter after biometrics).

yxjason

Oct 5, 2019
Yes, the application from USA will be processed in Canada. Mine application is currently processed in Ottawa (you can find the reference in Correspondence Letter after biometrics).
U got the correspondence letter already? When did u get it? Did ur study permit get approved?