Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
<br>Express Entry (Point: 392), <br>Applied under SINP EE <br>In Process 30-06-2015<br> After Nomination (Point: 992)
Doc's Request.
No request from SINP
Nomination.....
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-06-2015
IELTS Request
Uploaded
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
LANDED..........
Waiting...
ElmTree said:
Hello guys. Interesting conversations regarding processing times and biometrics etc. I can comment on biometrics here in case that is of benefit to anyone, and then I have a question of my own regarding processing times in LA.

Actually, here's the question going first: We applied online for a Canadian study permit (my wife), open work permit (I), and TRV (our toddler) while living in California (LA Visa Office). Our country of citizenship is Pakistan and we're in US as I work for the State of California. The website said processing time is 5 weeks in LA (down from 6 weeks when checked a few months ago). It's been 8 weeks now and no decision yet. The application system online shows medical as "passed" we haven't gotten a decision. Anyone else facing delays from LA consulate? How representative are their processing times?

Our experience with the biometrics: It was pretty straight forward and easy (if I exclude the baby crying time while driving to the biometric centre). We received the biometric information request letter from CIC within 3 days of online application. The letter said that we can go to either the VAC in LA for biometrics or to our nearest US Citizenship and Immigration Center (USCIS) who would be able to collect the info on CIC's behalf. Our nearest USCIS was Oxnard between LA and Santa Barbara. We chose to go a different USCIS northbound to Fresno which was a lot farther as compared to Oxnard. The USCIS staff there was quite helpful (a bit cocky but certainly helpful. They meant business and got on with their job pretty well). The lady there looked at our CIC letter which had a specific barcode meant for USCIS. She scanned it and then did some kaboom magic on her machine which popped our record on her screen. She took photos of my wife and me, and scanned our fingerprints on a machine (LiveScan). Baby was pardoned. The whole process took an hour (including 50 minutes in the queue).

I guess what I am trying to say is that don't be surprised at US and Canadian immigration agencies cooperating with each other for this. Apparently they share data and do work on each other's behalf.
I also applied for study permit online from USA on March 24, 2016 and biometric on March 29. I still have not received any updates from them.

When you did your biometric and got your medical passed online? When does your wife's session start in University?

You can email to Los Angeles VO with los-angeles-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca and ask about the status of your application as you already crossed the general processing time. Remember to include the following information in the email and UCI/Application No in Subject:
Given Name:
Family Name:
Date of Birth:
Application No.
Type: Study Permit Application
UCI:

They will response back in few weeks. Let's connected to share our experience!

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Our medical was done last year and was still valid for this application. So they updated the medical status within a couple of weeks of our application. We made the application in end of February. It has been more than 9 weeks now.

My wife's session starts in first week of September. We want to be there by mid-August the latest to get our baby settled in before the academic year starts. So many matters to take care of in such a little time. Daycare, job, driving license+car, etc.

Biometric receipt we received a day or two after visiting the USCIS. So that was probably on 4 or 5 March.

We have already emailed on the address that you have shared. No response yet. I wish they could at least acknowledge that they have received our inquiry email and that there is some delay for whatever reason. They just do not budge at all.

We did not have UCI number this time around. Just had the application number. Last time we

Glory4all

May 5, 2016
Hello all, I am in the same situation. I am a visitor to Canada and I applied for my study permit online since March 17th. Till now, there is no single update on my application. I didn't even get any invitation for Biometrics, although i did it before less than 6 months ago while I was applying for my Visitor's visa. My school will be starting by August ending. Anyone in the same situation can comment...

iceage

Star Member
Oct 31, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
<br>Express Entry (Point: 392), <br>Applied under SINP EE <br>In Process 30-06-2015<br> After Nomination (Point: 992)
Doc's Request.
No request from SINP
Nomination.....
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-06-2015
IELTS Request
Uploaded
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
LANDED..........
Waiting...
ElmTree said:
Our medical was done last year and was still valid for this application. So they updated the medical status within a couple of weeks of our application. We made the application in end of February. It has been more than 9 weeks now.

My wife's session starts in first week of September. We want to be there by mid-August the latest to get our baby settled in before the academic year starts. So many matters to take care of in such a little time. Daycare, job, driving license+car, etc.

Biometric receipt we received a day or two after visiting the USCIS. So that was probably on 4 or 5 March.

We have already emailed on the address that you have shared. No response yet. I wish they could at least acknowledge that they have received our inquiry email and that there is some delay for whatever reason. They just do not budge at all.

We did not have UCI number this time around. Just had the application number. Last time we
Hey, have you got any update? My file is still under process.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Yes. Apparently, upon our launch of multiple inquiries, they finally decided to give us the courtesy of a reply. They have written back to us asking for my FBI clearance for stay in the US and police certificate from Singapore. I am sure they were sleeping with our file under their pillow and if we hadn't given them a nudge through our inquiries, they would have not processed our app any further for many more months. That has actually happened to us last year.

The interesting thing is that I have never bloody lived in Singapore! How absurd is that?!

As for FBI clearance: I was clearly told by the LA VAC before application that since I am applying from within the US after entering a valid clearance from the US State Department and Homeland Security, the CIC will not require FBI clearance from me. At that time, we were planning to apply through VAC. Hence, I never applied to FBI for clearance. Applied for it just now and it turns out that FBI needs 13 weeks to even open the application pack that I have sent them. That will lead us way into September for just getting the FBI certificate. The visa process will remain halted till then. Add another 3-4 weeks after that for visa processing and passport stamping, and we're screwed over once again by the CIC.

Slow clap.

iceage

Star Member
Oct 31, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
No request from SINP
Nomination.....
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-06-2015
IELTS Request
Uploaded
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
LANDED..........
Waiting...
ElmTree said:
Yes. Apparently, upon our launch of multiple inquiries, they finally decided to give us the courtesy of a reply. They have written back to us asking for my FBI clearance for stay in the US and police certificate from Singapore. I am sure they were sleeping with our file under their pillow and if we hadn't given them a nudge through our inquiries, they would have not processed our app any further for many more months. That has actually happened to us last year.

The interesting thing is that I have never bloody lived in Singapore! How absurd is that?!

As for FBI clearance: I was clearly told by the LA VAC before application that since I am applying from within the US after entering a valid clearance from the US State Department and Homeland Security, the CIC will not require FBI clearance from me. At that time, we were planning to apply through VAC. Hence, I never applied to FBI for clearance. Applied for it just now and it turns out that FBI needs 13 weeks to even open the application pack that I have sent them. That will lead us way into September for just getting the FBI certificate. The visa process will remain halted till then. Add another 3-4 weeks after that for visa processing and passport stamping, and we're screwed over once again by the CIC.

Slow clap.
That's really weird!
As it may take longer then your wife may defer her semester from Fall to Winter. But I believe you guys will get the visa otherwise they won't ask you FBI PCC. Also, for Singapore PCC, write a letter of explanation and send copies of all passports as a proof that you have never been to Singapore. You can send a query to Singapore police to check whether they will issue any PCC if you have never been there.

For me I still waiting for their response. My PR application is under process. May be that's hold my file and I am not sure when I can get any update for both my files.

Good luck.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
iceage said:
That's really weird!
As it may take longer then your wife may defer her semester from Fall to Winter. But I believe you guys will get the visa otherwise they won't ask you FBI PCC. Also, for Singapore PCC, write a letter of explanation and send copies of all passports as a proof that you have never been to Singapore. You can send a query to Singapore police to check whether they will issue any PCC if you have never been there.

For me I still waiting for their response. My PR application is under process. May be that's hold my file and I am not sure when I can get any update for both my files.

Good luck.
Regarding Singapore, have written an explanation for them. I hope they can comprehend plain English now. Have also applied for FBI clearance, which is least likely to come in before September. Thanks for the optimism that we'll get the visa. I also don't think they have any reason to refuse except for plain incompetence on their part but the real question is: do they have the competence to work 2+2=4 before August 20? Deferring a semester is not an option because it has already been deferred by 1 year (yes, they took too long last year too... our original application was dated last week of April 2015!). UBC is a highly rated uni with admissions extremely competitive in the particular program my wife is starting. They want to give this seat to someone else if we can't make it there in time. Rightly so, why would they wait for us when they have bright students lined up in the waiting list?

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
iceage said:
I have a question regarding your situation though. If I may ask, how come you are both a study permit AND a PR applicant? Don't they refuse study permit apps if they see that the applicant is an "intending immigrant"?

I score 78 on FSW and either 445 or 453 on CRS (there's a confusion over 5 points but I'll go with the lower estimate). I never made EE profile but at one point when it piqued my interest, my wife's opinion was nay because EE/PR app could adversely affect her study permit app. Is that a fair assessment? If not, then hear this out: I know I have little shot at ITA though draw because they rarely pick people scoring less than 460 (perhaps), but do I have a shot at provincial nomination from SK or ON (the two provinces that, I heard, can nominate people without job offers)?

iceage

Star Member
Oct 31, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
No request from SINP
Nomination.....
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-06-2015
IELTS Request
Uploaded
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
LANDED..........
Waiting...
ElmTree said:
I have a question regarding your situation though. If I may ask, how come you are both a study permit AND a PR applicant? Don't they refuse study permit apps if they see that the applicant is an "intending immigrant"?

I score 78 on FSW and either 445 or 453 on CRS (there's a confusion over 5 points but I'll go with the lower estimate). I never made EE profile but at one point when it piqued my interest, my wife's opinion was nay because EE/PR app could adversely affect her study permit app. Is that a fair assessment? If not, then hear this out: I know I have little shot at ITA though draw because they rarely pick people scoring less than 460 (perhaps), but do I have a shot at provincial nomination from SK or ON (the two provinces that, I heard, can nominate people without job offers)?
You can apply for both study permit and PR application at a time. It is called Dual Intent which is legal and one does not affect other. You can find out more info here: http:// www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

Getting ITA is becoming too difficult day by day if you don't have a score above 460. The best route is to apply for a provincial nomination. There is good news for you that SK just opened their PNP EE program without job offer. Check if your job experience is in their demand list or not: https:// www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/international-skilled-worker-saskatchewan-express-entry

Check their application guide for details: http:// publications.gov.sk.ca/redirect.cfm?p=76056&i=85142

I got my nomination from SK last year and got Invitation to apply in September. So, it's been nearly 8 months it's in process. Check my signature for all dates. The main benefit for you that you are in USA and your PR file will be processed in Ottawa. So they will process it like other in land applicants. If you have all documents and get ITA then you will get PR faster than me. I applied for PR when I was in my home country so my file is in process in Singapore which taking a lot of time. However, pray for me too... I need either PR or Study permit anyway. I applied for study permit because I got full financial assistantship for my masters program in Montreal.

Good luck. Let us know if you get any update from IRCC.

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
iceage said:
You can apply for both study permit and PR application at a time. It is called Dual Intent which is legal and one does not affect other. You can find out more info here: http:// www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

Getting ITA is becoming too difficult day by day if you don't have a score above 460. The best route is to apply for a provincial nomination. There is good news for you that SK just opened their PNP EE program without job offer. Check if your job experience is in their demand list or not: https:// www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/international-skilled-worker-saskatchewan-express-entry

Check their application guide for details: http:// publications.gov.sk.ca/redirect.cfm?p=76056&i=85142

I got my nomination from SK last year and got Invitation to apply in September. So, it's been nearly 8 months it's in process. Check my signature for all dates. The main benefit for you that you are in USA and your PR file will be processed in Ottawa. So they will process it like other in land applicants. If you have all documents and get ITA then you will get PR faster than me. I applied for PR when I was in my home country so my file is in process in Singapore which taking a lot of time. However, pray for me too... I need either PR or Study permit anyway. I applied for study permit because I got full financial assistantship for my masters program in Montreal.

Good luck. Let us know if you get any update from IRCC.
Interesting. This is all valuable information. I'm glad I asked. Thanks.

I don't think I am ready for EE because I haven't taken an IELTS test since 2008 perhaps. I just checked, there's a late June date available in a nearby city but wouldn't SK application/nomination cap be reached by then? I heard these kinds of openings fill fast. Do you happen to know if there's a cap or how many days/weeks/months do I have - to be able to catch this boat?

So, does SK not have any particular minimum req on CRS score like ON has? ON requires at least 400 on CRS.

wan2no

Jan 20, 2012
Hi there,
I have few quick question regarding multiple entry visitor visa holder of Canada applying from inside Canada for 2 Yrs masters program study permit through los Angeles visa office
1. Is it a valid application while residing in Canada ?
2. Does one require to go US for biometric by US visa or is there any way to send biometric from Canada ?
3. As he has bangladeshi passport visited US earlier in valid visa ( now expired) what is the chance to get a US visa while the current Canada visitor visa is about to finish?
4. He got refused once as applied inside Canada in Ottawa office. Now got information that it's possible to apply Los Angles office through online though physically in Canada. His application is valid, right?
5. Can he apply through home country or through any other country by sending application by post while not residing there but inside Canada? Is it like one must need to be physically present while applying through a particular country's embassy

nidaque

Nov 8, 2016
D.Hassan said:
I wrote that my current residence is Canada and duration was the visit visa dates. I applied for the visa extension once before and it was online.
At the borders I told them about the biometrics, they might see your biometrics letter as a proof.
It was my Canadian home address, and the duration of stay was my study period that mentioned in the offer received from the University.
You must provide the right information in your application to avoid any delays. You are not the only case applying from outside Canada while living in Canada as I was always telling myself :)

i am applying from within Canada,my first application got rejected because i applied online while being in canada. now i am sending my paper application to LA. SHOULD I MENTION THAT I AM CURRENTLY IN CANADA. will VAC in LA process my application if i mention that my current residence is in canada and i am applying from within canada?

Abii21900

Nov 4, 2016
Yes, it's totally legal and the only way you can apply for a study permit when on a tourist permit. Send your application package, passport, a pre paid return UPS envelope to VAC office in Los Angeles. They will check your application and everything is okay they will forward it to the visa officer. If not, they will ask you to submit more documents. Remember to pay the VAC fees using a bank draft and you need to send it to Iowa and attach a copy of that with your application.

nidaque

Nov 8, 2016
i just have one question
in the form after mention current residence that is Canada
next question is "Applying where applying" what should i write in it? canada or usa? because i am sending application to LA :/

nidaque

Nov 8, 2016
nidaque said:
i just have one question
in the form after mention current residence that is Canada
next question is "COUNTRY where applying" what should i write in it? canada or usa? because i am sending application to LA :/