+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit - family ties in Canada and country of residence

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Willing to work and live abroad from home country is it wrong? Shifting from UAE to Canada legally is wrong? So if I shift from India to Canada then it is OK?
Study permit is a temporary permit. You have to leave by the date required of you. If you don't intend to comply with immigration regulations, then your Permit will be refused. Simple as that.

JoBerl

Feb 15, 2020
Study permit is a temporary permit. You have to leave by the date required of you. If you don't intend to comply with immigration regulations, then your Permit will be refused. Simple as that.
If it means I must leave once study permit expires then I leave. Why would I put myself in trouble by staying in a country without permit or legal status?

You haven't answered my question. You are just repeating the same words in different forms.
How do they know I don't intend to comply with immigration regulations? Aside from residing in UAE and visiting home country , I have traveled to several other destinations including Europe both for vacation and business reasons all the while respecting the given permits and regulations. I am sure if they have checked my records like visa stamps entry & exit stamps I haven't violated any law in any country I have been too or in the one I am currently residing in.
Don't they do a background check before they conclude that an 'applicant will not comply with immigration regulations.'

Someone in this thread mentioned "diploma/pg is a back door to PR", why master and PhD is not back door to PR? Just asking what is the purpose of PGWP and other immigration programs for international students?

Reactions: trendyx

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
If it means I must leave once study permit expires then I leave. Why would I put myself in trouble by staying in a country without permit or legal status?

You haven't answered my question. You are just repeating the same words in different forms.
How do they know I don't intend to comply with immigration regulations? Aside from residing in UAE and visiting home country , I have traveled to several other destinations including Europe both for vacation and business reasons all the while respecting the given permits and regulations. I am sure if they have checked my records like visa stamps entry & exit stamps I haven't violated any law in any country I have been too or in the one I am currently residing in.
Don't they do a background check before they conclude that an 'applicant will not comply with immigration regulations.'

Someone in this thread mentioned "diploma/pg is a back door to PR", why master and PhD is not back door to PR? Just asking what is the purpose of PGWP and other immigration programs for international students?
Yes of course they do background checks. They use the evidence presented to them on your application and concluded that it is not satisfactory. They know because they did a check on your permit application file.

The visa officers are experienced and they process thousands of applications a month. They have keen judgement and their decisions are supported by the evidence presented to them.

Reactions: robot83

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Why are you trying to debate the logic behind the process? We are just telling you how the system is, not that it is correct. If you want to argue your case then go to court.

Reactions: robot83

AndyT

Jun 12, 2020
Willing to work and live abroad from home country is it wrong? Shifting from UAE to Canada legally is wrong? So if I shift from India to Canada then it is OK?
Here is my theory:
Canada would like to invite younger generation from abroad who will spend on studies and command minimum wage (mostly) after studies.
Canada do not mind people with experience but has set standard. They will invite them through express entry. They are likely to command good / higher wages.
Visa officer is likely to stop people with good experience who are not having enough CRS points to compete in express entry pool.
We are likely to have unfair advantage over younger students and are likely to compete with Canadian and skilled immigrants (inspite not meeting CRS cutoff) for skilled jobs. Please do not give them easy reason in your profile to decline your study permit. You are giving them many reasons(by picking diploma, weaker ties) to decline your study permit. In addition, you will be bringing your spouse who is likely to take skilled job in Canada.
If you think it is unfair then feel free to apply for PR through express entry.

Reactions: jigzyy

JoBerl

Feb 15, 2020
Thank you AndyT and jigzyy for your valuable feedback. It does make some sense overall. I also did get some pointers and answers to the intial question I addressed here from you guys.

Pramodkumar

Aug 14, 2020
No ties with Canada is not an issue here. They want to know the strong ties with your home country/country of residence as well. That will be like an assurance that you will go back to your country after completing the program. Your family ties are weaker as you are already staying away from your parents . And your brothers too can take care of your parents in your absence in the future. It is easy for you to immigrate to Canada without thinking much about parents as you are likely to visit them yearly as usual. In other words, you won’t return after studies.

Example of stronger ties: being the only son to take care of parents, family business to be taken care of, significant property under your names...these could be solid reasons for coming back to home country. Also show the jobs/roles you will get in some specific companies after you complete your studies.
Hi i got refusal under same point, I am an Indian and working in middle east, can I submit my current company's promotion offer letter as proof of return after my studies?

Jun 22, 2019
@JoBerl I am in the same situation as you are in.

I am an Indian working at Qatar from past 5 years for refusal for masters program. I applied for visa from Qatar and the application was handled from Abu Dhabi office. I had mentioned about travelling back to Qatar with my employment offer letter and payslips and eventually settle in India showing the CA evaluation of the properties in my name and in my father's name, unfortunately, nothing helped.

I need suggestions from seniors should I reapply using the employers letter stating I will go on a leave during masters and join the same job or should I go to India and apply under SDS showing family ties?

Below are the reasons for rejection:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
@JoBerl I am in the same situation as you are in.

I am an Indian working at Qatar from past 5 years for refusal for masters program. I applied for visa from Qatar and the application was handled from Abu Dhabi office. I had mentioned about travelling back to Qatar with my employment offer letter and payslips and eventually settle in India showing the CA evaluation of the properties in my name and in my father's name, unfortunately, nothing helped.

I need suggestions from seniors should I reapply using the employers letter stating I will go on a leave during masters and join the same job or should I go to India and apply under SDS showing family ties?

Below are the reasons for rejection:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.
You're trying too hard to fool the visa officer.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Evil Cog - MechE, there was an answer for you. Just change UAE to QATAR

Family ties in Canada not necessarily means you have a family in Canada (or should have for visa), it's a combined statements with the country of residence as well. Since you are an Indian living in UAE, that automatically shows you have weaker ties to India (not to UAE since you are just a temp resident). You will have to show stronger ties to India instead of UAE in order to pass this refusal line. If you have investments and/or property in India or your parents or business, that will establish your ties to home country so that when the studies are done, you can go back to India (not to UAE, since you can abolish your residency after study visa).

Jun 22, 2019
You're trying too hard to fool the visa officer.
I applied by showing properties in my name with the help of CA evaluation and I had mentioned about coming back to Qatar and eventually settle in India.
Unfortunately, I didn't work in convincing the VO. Now I am planning to quit my job, go to India and re-apply from India under SDS.

Looking at the approval rate on a few websites, I understood that the Abu Dhabi office has 44% approval rate and in India, it has 75% + approval rate.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I applied by showing properties in my name with the help of CA evaluation and I had mentioned about coming back to Qatar and eventually settle in India.
Unfortunately, I didn't work in convincing the VO. Now I am planning to quit my job, go to India and re-apply from India under SDS.

Looking at the approval rate on a few websites, I understood that the Abu Dhabi office has 44% approval rate and in India, it has 75% + approval rate.
Why should the visa officer believe your story?

Jun 22, 2019
Why should the visa officer believe your story?
@jweekend I'm not here to debate on any matter. I am here to look if someone who got refused on the same grounds as I was refused so that I can apply with stronger docs and SOP. Most of them create a story of coming back from Canada and VO believes their stories though the intention is to get a PR and stay back.

Anyone who can help in this matter please post some useful information.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: trendyx
Jun 22, 2019
Evil Cog - MechE, there was an answer for you. Just change UAE to QATAR
@Regina Thanks. I went through the post and I am planning to defer my intake and apply from India. I'll be taking a job in India as I have a job offer from an employer from India and after few months of establishment there, I'll reapply with some sort of support letter from my new employer stating about a sabbatical leave.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
@jweekend I'm not here to debate on any matter. I am here to look if someone who got refused on the same grounds as I was refused so that I can apply with stronger docs and SOP. Most of them create a story of coming back from Canada and VO believes their stories though the intention is to get a PR and stay back.

Anyone who can help in this matter please post some useful information.
Thanks in advance.
You can't just say "you will leave Canada" and expect the visa officer to believe you. You were refused because the visa officer isn't satisfied that you will leave at the end of your stay. If it's true, then you won't be able to get a study permit and you were correctly refused.