+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys...

I got a doctoral admission offer with funding at McGill. I'm supposed to resume in September. Is it too early to start processing study permit? If I am given the permit early, does it mean I'll wait till September before I can travel?

What I have so far for the permit
1. Departmental funding letter of CAD 27,000 per annum
2. Employment letter as lecturer and ID card
3. Admission letter
4. Bank statement of about half a million (I don't think I'll need this since I have funding)
5. Father and mother's employment letters and ID card (Father works in the same university where I work)
6. Transcripts & certificates
7. CIC forms

I intend to apply using the online route. Are there any tips for me?
First of all, I have to say congratulations to you for an excellent feat you have achieved... Its extremely hard to get funded positions in Canada, so well done... If I may ask what field is this?

Secondly, you are on the right track, you only need to sort out two more things I think,

a) Your CAQ, for Quebec institutions you need to get a CAQ or else no visa for you.

b) Regardless of your funding, please show sufficient amount of funds in your account for both Tuition and living costs.

c) My client is resuming in September, I put in her application in December, she has been asked to submit her passport for visa stamping. So you can start your application immediately...

d) If you get you TRV early, please wait until around July or August to leave, don't go earlier.

I wish you the very best on this journey.

Cheers.

Omofar

Reactions: Literarymathy

Literarymathy

Star Member
Feb 8, 2020
First of all, I have to say congratulations to you for an excellent feat you have achieved... Its extremely hard to get funded positions in Canada, so well done... If I may ask what field is this?

Secondly, you are on the right track, you only need to sort out two more things I think,

a) Your CAQ, for Quebec institutions you need to get a CAQ or else no visa for you.

b) Regardless of your funding, please show sufficient amount of funds in your account for both Tuition and living costs.

c) My client is resuming in September, I put in her application in December, she has been asked to submit her passport for visa stamping. So you can start your application immediately...

d) If you get you TRV early, please wait until around July or August to leave, don't go earlier.

I wish you the very best on this journey.

Cheers.

Omofar

Discipline is English.

Many thanks for your response and encouragement. My only issue is with the Statement of Account. Like you said, it is safer to have enough money as part of the process. I earn approximately N1.7m a year and I have payslips to prove that. My father earns approximately N4m per year with pay slips too. My mother earns around N2m per year with pay slips. I also have around half a million as personal funds in account.

Do you think I can use my payslips, available funds, employment letter (and proof of paid study leave), parent's pay slips and proof of employment as proof of financial means? This is, of course, in addition to the funding letter which is guaranteed (the 27k is purely my living expenses or stipend after tuition has been removed from the 41k total funding I got).

Benjena

May 28, 2019
Discipline is English.

Many thanks for your response and encouragement. My only issue is with the Statement of Account. Like you said, it is safer to have enough money as part of the process. I earn approximately N1.7m a year and I have payslips to prove that. My father earns approximately N4m per year with pay slips too. My mother earns around N2m per year with pay slips. I also have around half a million as personal funds in account.

Do you think I can use my payslips, available funds, employment letter (and proof of paid study leave), parent's pay slips and proof of employment as proof of financial means? This is, of course, in addition to the funding letter which is guaranteed (the 27k is purely my living expenses or stipend after tuition has been removed from the 41k total funding I got).
Got it now. 27k is outside tuition which is removed right? 41k is annually. Give it a go although I have seen who got refusal because her personal fund was too less even after her tuition was fully covered by the sch. Personal assets and finance was in question. If dad and mum have some funds in their acc at the moment ask them to gradually move it into ur acc so that u wont need their sponsorship because ur a mature student

Last edited:
Reactions: Literarymathy

Psychtrain

Feb 7, 2020
Hi guys

I've gotten a letter of acceptance from Durham College to the Social Service Worker program.
I'm 21 I will be concluding my NYSC this month I studied psychology and I'm doing a volunteer work at Neuro psychiatric hospital Akure. No travel history with my passport and no working history except from NYSC and the volunteer work.
What should I do next and what documents would I need, I'm thinking of using the online route. I need tips am I eligible?

Benjena

May 28, 2019
Hi guys

I've gotten a letter of acceptance from Durham College to the Social Service Worker program.
I'm 21 I will be concluding my NYSC this month I studied psychology and I'm doing a volunteer work at Neuro psychiatric hospital Akure. No travel history with my passport and no working history except from NYSC and the volunteer work.
What should I do next and what documents would I need, I'm thinking of using the online route. I need tips am I eligible?
You have a good course out there. social worker is highly in demand in Canada, do ur research well, put up a good fund, at the moment ur current degree is inline with your prospecting program. all u need is a self detailed sop to show ur ties, how the program will influence ur life and funds. as it stands good luck

Literarymathy

Star Member
Feb 8, 2020
I want to confirm something.

As one of the conditions of my offer of admission, I was asked to provide "Proof of Graduation" (must be mailed directly from the school).

I intend to visit the schools (first & second degrees) to inquire but my inquiry can be better made if someone explains what they understand by "proof of graduation". I don't think they are referring to certificates as my school can't confidentially send that to them since they are with me. Do they mean transcript or certificate verification?

Has anyone done this before? Any insights?

Psychtrain

Feb 7, 2020
I want to confirm something.

As one of the conditions of my offer of admission, I was asked to provide "Proof of Graduation" (must be mailed directly from the school).

I intend to visit the schools (first & second degrees) to inquire but my inquiry can be better made if someone explains what they understand by "proof of graduation". I don't think they are referring to certificates as my school can't confidentially send that to them since they are with me. Do they mean transcript or certificate verification?

Has anyone done this before? Any insights?
No other option, your school have to mail your transcripts directly to them since they made it specific

Psychtrain

Feb 7, 2020
You have a good course out there. social worker is highly in demand in Canada, do ur research well, put up a good fund, at the moment ur current degree is inline with your prospecting program. all u need is a self detailed sop to show ur ties, how the program will influence ur life and funds. as it stands good luck
What about the issue of employment status or work experience

Psychtrain

Feb 7, 2020
My friend had been asked to do his medical exam but he scared because he is a regular user of marijuana only. Can this affect his study permit application if noticed

EbySparkle

Feb 9, 2020
please help me, my study permit was refused, here's the mail sent to me
After careful review of your student permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements

Benjena

May 28, 2019
@Omofar and other able members pls I need your input. My wife is pregnant and for us to apply from Nigeria which was our plan she will need to deliver first before she can do medical and that will make us to wait till May. She is admitted for Sept intake. We have paid 1semester tuition and by then can make up her savings up to 30k cad balance in her personal acc outside paid 1semester tuition.

Option2 is apply on March from Dubai with showing cash of 24k cad outside tution, from Dubai she is exempted from medical if applied from UAE. Should I apply from here although in some cases vo do point at country of residence as I heard only when ur purpose of visit is not clearified enough and less ties when u apply from country that is not your country of origin.

One thing is if she apply early enough from Dubau final decision always comes out in less than 8weeks which means we can have timr to reaply may be then from Nigeria.

Having said these, if your in my shoe what will u do?

My wife two yrs total tuition is 23k cad

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Omofar and other able members pls I need your input. My wife is pregnant and for us to apply from Nigeria which was our plan she will need to deliver first before she can do medical and that will make us to wait till May. She is admitted for Sept intake. We have paid 1semester tuition and by then can make up her savings up to 30k cad balance in her personal acc outside paid 1semester tuition.

Option2 is apply on March from Dubai with showing cash of 24k cad outside tution, from Dubai she is exempted from medical if applied from UAE. Should I apply from here although in some cases vo do point at country of residence as I heard only when ur purpose of visit is not clearified enough and less ties when u apply from country that is not your country of origin.

One thing is if she apply early enough from Dubau final decision always comes out in less than 8weeks which means we can have timr to reaply may be then from Nigeria.

Having said these, if your in my shoe what will u do?

My wife two yrs total tuition is 23k cad
Hello Benjena,

Hope well.

What is your immigration status in Dubai, that will determine if you apply from there or not.

Cheers

Omofar

Benjena

May 28, 2019
I am on temporary residence and work permit. My wife, son and I on same temporary residence. We can apply from here but won't it affect us as it is temporary residence of renewable 2yrs. People have more chance when they apply from home country but now my wife pregnancy is going to make us to wait till May due to medical or else we can apply from here in UAE with medical exemption