+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Thunmishe

Jul 26, 2019
Pls another question. Concerning my passport,its expiring on may 2022, can it still be used for the winter process

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today at 10:43 AM
I applied for September 2019 Canada intake and I was refused of visa based on the following:
1. I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
2. Pursuant to paragraph 220(a) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue.
3. Pursuant to paragraph 220(b) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada to maintain yourself and any family members who are accompanying you during your proposed period of study.
4. Pursuant to paragraph 220(c) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada to pay the cost of transporting yourself and any family members who are accompanying you to and from Canada.
You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications can be accompanied by a new processing fee.

Please can someone help on this?
Thanks.
Dear Thunmishe,

Thank you for visiting this thread.

I am sorry that your application was refused. I must be clear with you now, based on on the feedback from the VO who treated your application, it shows that you were quite oblivious of the visa application process, the expectations from the VO and your own personal preparedness for the application. Based on these commentaries it would be a miracle to address these queries. But I will do my best to address some of these queries and offer possible suggestions.

1. I kindly refer you to page 39 or so of this thread where I address the issue of self assessment. You will need to critically assess yourself and see whether you meet the requirements for a Canadian study permit or not. If not there is no need re-applying.

2. Clear Purpose of visit:- Apparently your purpose of visit is to study, but the way your application was probably packaged appears to show your purpose as something else or showing dual intent. That must be clearly addressed. I will also advice you defer your admission, you are unlikely to be able to meet the deadline. There are many issues you need to address in your application. Your purpose of visit may have been to study but your application may have shown a different purpose in the eyes of the VO.

3. I will suggest you apply for the caips gcms notes. If you have family of friends living in Canada legally you can use this website https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en it will cost you about $5CAD, if you don't have family or friends living in Canada you can use this website https://www.caipsgcms.com/ , it will cost you upwards of $20USD.

4. Ability to Fund Item (2): If you were not able to demonstrate in a compelling manner your ability to fund the purpose of your visit, then the VO would have refused your application.

5. Applying with Family: This was a grave error on your part. Never apply for family members along with your study permit application. You have shown dual intent, and that may be difficult to rectify on re-application. Next time re-apply for yourself first, get your permit and then apply for your family. Its the smarter way to go.

Based on my personal assessment and opinion, you unfortunately failed on a Clear Purpose of Visit, Ability to Fund your studies, and Intent to return to home country upon completion of studies. I will suggest you find a good agent to assist with your next application.

I wish you the very best.

Omofar

Reactions: Thunmishe

Thunmishe

Jul 26, 2019
Dear Thunmishe,

I am sorry that your application was refused. I must be clear with you now, based on on the feedback from the VO who treated your application, it shows that you were quite oblivious of the visa application process, the expectations from the VO and your own personal preparedness for the application. Based on these commentaries it would be a miracle to address these queries. But I will do my best to address some of these queries and offer possible suggestions.

1. I kindly refer you to page 39 or so of this thread where I address the issue of self assessment. You will need to critically assess yourself and see whether you meet the requirements for a Canadian study permit or not. If not there is no need re-applying.

2. Clear Purpose of visit:- Apparently your purpose of visit is to study, but the way your application was probably packaged appears to show your purpose as something else or showing dual intent. That must be clearly addressed. I will also advice you defer your admission, you are unlikely to be able to meet the deadline. There are many issues you need to address in your application. Your purpose of visit may have been to study but your application may have shown a different purpose in the eyes of the VO.

3. I will suggest you apply for the caips gcms notes. If you have family of friends living in Canada legally you can use this website https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en it will cost you about $5CAD, if you don't have family or friends living in Canada you can use this website https://www.caipsgcms.com/ , it will cost you upwards of $20USD.

4. Ability to Fund Item (2): If you were not able to demonstrate in a compelling manner your ability to fund the purpose of your visit, then the VO would have refused your application.

5. Applying with Family: This was a grave error on your part. Never apply for family members along with your study permit application. You have shown dual intent, and that may be difficult to rectify on re-application. Next time re-apply for yourself first, get your permit and then apply for your family. Its the smarter way to go.

Based on my personal assessment and opinion, you unfortunately failed on a Clear Purpose of Visit, Ability to Fund your studies, and Intent to return to home country upon completion of studies. I will suggest you find a good agent to assist with your next application.

Omofar
Thanks so much, I really appreciate .
Pertaining to point 5, I never applied for family member to accompany me but I filled a family member form which States whether they are accompanying me or not. Maybe the mistake I made was I wasn't supposed to fill the form.

Thunmishe

Jul 26, 2019
Dear Thunmishe,

Omofar
Please for the CAIPS GCMS form, which am I to select.
1.CAIPS BASIC-$15
2. CAIPS BASIC PLUS-$20
3. ONLY SOP-$60
4. CAIPS CASE FILE PLUS-$40
5. CAIPS STUDENT SPECIAL-$150
6. STUDENTS SOP & LOE-$120
Thanks.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please for the CAIPS GCMS form, which am I to select.
1.CAIPS BASIC-$15
2. CAIPS BASIC PLUS-$20
3. ONLY SOP-$60
4. CAIPS CASE FILE PLUS-$40
5. CAIPS STUDENT SPECIAL-$150
6. STUDENTS SOP & LOE-$120
Thanks.
Hi Thunmishe,

1. Firstly, I must mention clearly that I do not have anything to do with this site and cannot vouch for them. I only found it online and suggested it, so making use of their service is solely up to you.

2. That being said, I will suggest you go for option 2.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings All,

A lot of people have been asking questions that have been addressed here severally again and again. Please refer to this my old post. The first thing anyone wishing or desiring to apply for a study permit is to arm yourself with information and stop all these misplaced/misguided Faith without corresponding work, that is unable to produce actual desired results. Please carefully read through this info again and assess yourself whether or not you meet the minimum requirements to obtain a Canadian Study permit. By the grace of God I have applied for 10 people this year all got their visas in one go, except 1 who on re-application got it the second time. This cannot be attributed to Faith or luck alone, it is about understanding the process, the expectations of the VO and meeting and even exceeding the expectation of the VO. Happy reading.

Greetings!

GIS session #2

Anyone applying for study permit from Nigeria may be interested in the following data. It is the most updated data on the subject of study permit approval rates based on country of application. I will post data for Nigeria from 2012 to 1st quarter of 2017.

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017(1st Quarter)

Total Number of applications 4,279 5,486 7,488 8,903 10,273 2,545

Total Number Approved 1,650 2,490 3,123 3,560 2,501 371

% Approval 39% 45% 42% 40% 24% 15%

Source of the above information can be obtained here https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/63858380-265e-4948-8e96-ca50fceca2d7?_ga=2.237275528.964540470.1501869032-771005413.1497994661

If you analyse the data closely, you will see that there has been a steady decline in number of study permits approved for applicants from Nigeria. Only God knows what the approval rates will be today. This is the reason why you cannot afford to be complacent with your application to the Canadian embassy. Furthermore, you need to be sure that you are able to meet the minimum requirements, if you don't meet it, you are very unlikely to get your permit approved. So a quick way assess yourself are as follows

1. Age:- You need to consider this in relation to the level of qualification you want to pursue. Ideally, 17-20 (Undergraduate), 21-24 (PGC/PGDs/Masters), 25-27(PGC/PGD/Masters + at least 2-3 years relevant work experience), 27 and above (PhD + relevant work experience). This is not to say people cannot get permits outside of this bracket, but what I have posted is just the most ideal.

2. Funding:- Very Very Very Very Important. if you cannot demonstrate in a compelling manner that you can afford to sponsor yourself without needing to work while studying, you will not get a permit.

3. Travel History:- Depending on your age, they may waive this or take it more seriously. For example, a 32 year old man with no international travel history is now applying for study permit to pursue a Masters degree. The chances of getting a study permit approval are highly unlikely, he could be lucky may if he is being sponsored by a government agency etc. International travel history is used by a VO to guage how you will abide by immigration rules, if you did not contravene immigration rules in your previous trips, then you are unlikely to do so now. So a good travel history is important

4. Employment History:- If you are a mature applicant, from 26 and above and you do not have a relevant work history or experience and you want to apply for study permit, you are unlikely to get approved.

So I will advise you to read through, critically assess yourself, and determine if you are in a position to get a permit, if you are then you can approach a professional to assist you, if you are not, don't bother, that professional will just take you for a ride.

I wish you all the best with your plans for Canada.

Omofar