+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all,

A friend of mine is in a dilemma due to the new IRCC rule not to extend a temporary policy providing an additional 18-month work permit to postgraduate work permit holders whose permits will expire on January 1, 2024, or after.

He finished a 1 year course this year and his work work permit is expiring on March 31, 2024. He has a job that he just got in November 2023 but they have told him clearly they will not provide him an LMIA but they are willing to have him continue his work if he can get an extension on his work permit. What options does he have? He wants to apply for an extension using Form IMM 5710 by checking the "Restore my status as a worker" option. Does he stand a chance that the work permit will be extended by at least for another one year since he has a job? He will be eligible for PNP if he stays on the job for another 6 months by September 30, 2024.

I believe there are tens of thousands of international students who will fall into this category starting January 1, 2024, what are the options when one is not yet eligible for PNP, PR or stay through marriage or schooling if your PGWP is going to expire after January 1, 2024 and you have a valid job ?
He is not eligible for an extension so will be refused. So he needs a LMIA. Extensions were only given through COVID and before COVID there were never any extensions. PGWPs are reverting back to how they have always been - given one time with no extensions.

Tell friend to learn French, find another job with a LMIA or find a job through a PNP program where employer is approved to support the nomination of a worker with LMIA. Going to school doesn’t give him another PGWP but may increase score if he does a Masters. What province is he living in?

emmanuelnwobu

Oct 20, 2023
Good morning

Please can some help me on this:
Refusal letter says
The proposed study plan is inconsistent with the applicant's academic/work history and does not outline a clear path for which such an educational program would be of benefit. It refers to general advantageous comments regarding the value of international education in Canada.

Applicant holds a Higher National Diploma in Marketing from Polytechnic. Based on their employment history, applicant has worked in related occupations, holding position as Assistant Supervisor and with their current employer, as a Assistant Manager. As a result, they possess a similar professional level of accreditation in business management skills from their work experiences. Applicant now intends to pursue a diploma in Business Management. The intended program does not appear to be a logical progression in their career path and leads to concerns that their motivation of pursuing education in Canada is to seek entry for reasons other than temporary. I am not satisfied that this is a reasonable progression of studies.

Please have any body experience this type of thing and what is wrong to further a business management in diploma?

How can I strengthen my application on this?

Is furthering a diploma wrong after completing one?

Please assist

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good morning

Please can some help me on this:
Refusal letter says
The proposed study plan is inconsistent with the applicant's academic/work history and does not outline a clear path for which such an educational program would be of benefit. It refers to general advantageous comments regarding the value of international education in Canada.

Applicant holds a Higher National Diploma in Marketing from Polytechnic. Based on their employment history, applicant has worked in related occupations, holding position as Assistant Supervisor and with their current employer, as a Assistant Manager. As a result, they possess a similar professional level of accreditation in business management skills from their work experiences. Applicant now intends to pursue a diploma in Business Management. The intended program does not appear to be a logical progression in their career path and leads to concerns that their motivation of pursuing education in Canada is to seek entry for reasons other than temporary. I am not satisfied that this is a reasonable progression of studies.

Please have any body experience this type of thing and what is wrong to further a business management in diploma?

How can I strengthen my application on this?

Is furthering a diploma wrong after completing one?

Please assist

Thank you
What was the program you intended to take in Canada? Was it a post grad? You need to select a program that a) show education progression and b) shows career advancement to justify cost of Canadian education. So you need to show how taking the program will give you higher pay and promotion then what you have now.

So you have a diploma i business management so how does another business management address either an and b. The program is more or less the same. If Assistant manager now then what job will you have that pays that much better to justify $50k in education costs.

emmanuelnwobu

Oct 20, 2023
What was the program you intended to take in Canada? Was it a post grad? You need to select a program that a) show education progression and b) shows career advancement to justify cost of Canadian education. So you need to show how taking the program will give you higher pay and promotion then what you have now.

So you have a diploma i business management so how does another business management address either an and b. The program is more or less the same. If Assistant manager now then what job will you have that pays that much better to justify $50k in education costs.
Thank you very much for the hint
Now I have an idea on what to do next with the hint, thanks

I applied in Olds college in Alberta, I have been admitted since march 2023

Please if there is more hint, please share, am willing to listen to you

GOD bless you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you very much for the hint
Now I have an idea on what to do next with the hint, thanks

I applied in Olds college in Alberta, I have been admitted since march 2023

Please if there is more hint, please share, am willing to listen to you

GOD bless you
Taking a business certificate is not expanding on your education nor giving you better career opportunities. Also attending an agriculture college seems strange unless you have an ag background.

emmanuelnwobu

Oct 20, 2023
Taking a business certificate is not expanding on your education nor giving you better career opportunities. Also attending an agriculture college seems strange unless you have an ag background.
Yes, is Olds College of Agriculture and technology, I registered for 2 years program, I don't know how to explain to them, I don't know how to tell them I will come back because my community needs me as the prince

I had low credit in diploma but now I need higher diploma and Olds College offers practical and research, that is why I choose them

Please tell me?

what should I do

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, is Olds College of Agriculture and technology, I registered for 2 years program, I don't know how to explain to them, I don't know how to tell them I will come back because my community needs me as the prince

I had low credit in diploma but now I need higher diploma and Olds College offers practical and research, that is why I choose them

Please tell me?

what should I do
But is it even a post grad program or diploma requiring secondary? Honestly you had a business diploma so taking another makes no sense. You need to show education and career progression and the program doesn’t meet either. You need to show higher pay to justify costs of around $80k for a 2 year program.

emmanuelnwobu

Oct 20, 2023
But is it even a post grad program or diploma requiring secondary? Honestly you had a business diploma so taking another makes no sense. You need to show education and career progression and the program doesn’t meet either. You need to show higher pay to justify costs of around $80k for a 2 year program.
Thanks for another hint
Should I apply for degree instead?
I only need advanced 2 years diploma cause degree takes 4 years
After that then I come come back

Please advice me, thanks

emmanuelnwobu

Oct 20, 2023
Good morning everyone

I was refused because I applied for diploma in business management using my low credit in HND

They said HND and Diploma is the same in Canada

and now I want to change to bachelor Degree in Agribusiness

Please tell me? Can I go for it because I want to further in business

Can HND in marketing go for agribusiness degree?

Please Advice

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good morning everyone

I was refused because I applied for diploma in business management using my low credit in HND

They said HND and Diploma is the same in Canada

and now I want to change to bachelor Degree in Agribusiness

Please tell me? Can I go for it because I want to further in business

Can HND in marketing go for agribusiness degree?

Please Advice

Thanks
A 3 or 4 year degree is a better plan. You need to explain the reasons for taking an agribusiness degree (job opportunties, you own an agribusiness) to justify costs.