+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit + Admission Deferral + Re-applying

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Hi everybody,
I'd appreciate a lot if replies come from experienced members or from those members who are in the same situation. Will try to be really detailed.

I'm form Argentina and I applied for Mohawk College in May 2016 for and IT program. I got admitted by mid-October 2016. I started the study permit process (study permit for me, open work permit for my husband and open study permit for muy daughter) right after I collected all the papers to upload and then submit the visa application. In the meantime, I paid the first semester fees in total, so I had just to wait for the CIC to request our passports to stamp them, in case everything ran smoothly.
Although actual classes started on Jan 10th, 2017, I had to register for courses by December 8th, 2016. It wasn't until December 15th, 2016 that we were requested our passport to be sent to the CIC. The college gives students the possibility to defer admission in case there is an issue (you are not ready for such semester, etc). Since course registration came nearer and I had no reply form the CIC, I resorted to the "benefit" of admission deferral, which I got without any problem for the following intake, that is September 1st, 2017 (till April 30th, 2019).
Finally, I got the CIC notice asking to submit our passports (visa was approved) on December 15th, 2016, that is 5 days after we were supposed to be in Canada. Remember we are a family and needed also to find housing, a school for my daughter, open bank account, etc. I sent the passports to the VAC as requested by the CIC and the VAC contacted us on January 5th, 2017 to pick up/send our passports with the visa valid from December 15, 2017 to June 30th, 2018.
Just to be on the safe side, in May I wrote the CIC explaining I had an admission deferral because they had delayed in their decision and I asked for their advise, whether travelling to Canada under the visa validity I already had or if I needed to re-apply. The officer was very brief:

Good afternoon,

If you have a new acceptance letter with different dates you should submit a new application. The permit you were issued matches the conditions and dates of the letter you submitted. If those dates and/or conditions have changed you should apply for a new permit.

There I claimed them that the new letter was a deferral as a result of their delay in taking their decision and requesting our passports. The new reply was:

Good afternoon,

You may apply for a new permit, paying the corresponding fees, so that the introduction letter and the visa match the acceptance letter’s dates. However, please note that you can travel with your current documents and at time of arrival in Canada, when you show your new acceptance letter, you will probably be issued a permit which will match the new dates.

I asked for a king of assurance, since I was afraid of showing all the supporting documents to the border officer at the POE and not being issued the study permit. Their reply was the decision was on the officer, the documents I present to justify why I'm enterign Canada in such date, and if the explanations I would give the officer would suffice.

Now, I have many doubts:

1) Can we travel using the visa that matches the original letter of acceptance and give the explanations necessary at the POE plus showing the new letter? Won't it be risky in the sense they will send us back to our country? Would like someone with the experience in this issue will reply.

2) Do I submit a new application to match the dates in the new letter.

What's your advice? I'm kind of depressed and desperate.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: kumarmohit19

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Your case is simple. People get their approval so late that they have to defer their program. You are supposed to be at the POE, say in April (flexible) for May intake, with all relevant documents. You will be fine. There are so many cases like yours reported in the forum. Relax. No need to reapply for study permit.

**Not my personal experience **

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Hi good boy!
My intake is in September, and we were planning to travel Aug 7 or 8. Course registration starts August 9 and actual classes start September 1st.
Would it be right to enter those dates (a month ahead)?

Thanks so much!

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Hi good boy!
My intake is in September, and we were planning to travel Aug 7 or 8. Course registration starts August 9 and actual classes start September 1st.
Would it be right to enter those dates (a month ahead)?

Thanks so much!
Absolutely fine.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Hi everybody,
I'd appreciate a lot if replies come from experienced members or from those members who are in the same situation. Will try to be really detailed.

I'm form Argentina and I applied for Mohawk College in May 2016 for and IT program. I got admitted by mid-October 2016. I started the study permit process (study permit for me, open work permit for my husband and open study permit for muy daughter) right after I collected all the papers to upload and then submit the visa application. In the meantime, I paid the first semester fees in total, so I had just to wait for the CIC to request our passports to stamp them, in case everything ran smoothly.
Although actual classes started on Jan 10th, 2017, I had to register for courses by December 8th, 2016. It wasn't until December 15th, 2016 that we were requested our passport to be sent to the CIC. The college gives students the possibility to defer admission in case there is an issue (you are not ready for such semester, etc). Since course registration came nearer and I had no reply form the CIC, I resorted to the "benefit" of admission deferral, which I got without any problem for the following intake, that is September 1st, 2017 (till April 30th, 2019).
Finally, I got the CIC notice asking to submit our passports (visa was approved) on December 15th, 2016, that is 5 days after we were supposed to be in Canada. Remember we are a family and needed also to find housing, a school for my daughter, open bank account, etc. I sent the passports to the VAC as requested by the CIC and the VAC contacted us on January 5th, 2017 to pick up/send our passports with the visa valid from December 15, 2017 to June 30th, 2018.
Just to be on the safe side, in May I wrote the CIC explaining I had an admission deferral because they had delayed in their decision and I asked for their advise, whether travelling to Canada under the visa validity I already had or if I needed to re-apply. The officer was very brief:

Good afternoon,

If you have a new acceptance letter with different dates you should submit a new application. The permit you were issued matches the conditions and dates of the letter you submitted. If those dates and/or conditions have changed you should apply for a new permit.

There I claimed them that the new letter was a deferral as a result of their delay in taking their decision and requesting our passports. The new reply was:

Good afternoon,

You may apply for a new permit, paying the corresponding fees, so that the introduction letter and the visa match the acceptance letter’s dates. However, please note that you can travel with your current documents and at time of arrival in Canada, when you show your new acceptance letter, you will probably be issued a permit which will match the new dates.

I asked for a king of assurance, since I was afraid of showing all the supporting documents to the border officer at the POE and not being issued the study permit. Their reply was the decision was on the officer, the documents I present to justify why I'm enterign Canada in such date, and if the explanations I would give the officer would suffice.

Now, I have many doubts:

1) Can we travel using the visa that matches the original letter of acceptance and give the explanations necessary at the POE plus showing the new letter? Won't it be risky in the sense they will send us back to our country? Would like someone with the experience in this issue will reply.

2) Do I submit a new application to match the dates in the new letter.

What's your advice? I'm kind of depressed and desperate.

Thanks a lot.
Hey i am in the same situation. Did they let you enter easily?

FMAS

Star Member
Jul 26, 2018
I am in the same situation, what do we do?

My visa came today while classes already started.

Deferral is for Jan 2019 so should I go with revised offer letter or the previous one at the POE?

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Hi, all!! For some reason, I did not get hussainkestrel comment. But here I reply to both your questions. Finally I did not re-apply. I came to Canada with the original Study permit issued (but remember I had the new Letter of Admission from the college with the deferral date), so at the POE I showed everything as requested and they just remind me my Study permit expired on June 2018. So, like 40 days before the expiry date I applied for extension as well as Temporary residensy (it's done in the same process, your study institution helps in the process of getting the paperwork, or you may contact me via this forum when the time arrives) and it came about 6 weeks after. Mind you! One thing is the Study permit extension and the other is the visitor visa which allows you to enter/leave the country. That you have to renew it once your Study permit extension arrives.

So hussainkestrel and FMAS, you can enter the country with all the documents to present at request at POE (original and revised/updated Letter od Admission) and remember to ask for extension when it is the time.

IMPORTANT !!! Check the times for each of your countries as regards the extension application. Each case is different, so maybe you have to request with some more anticipation than what I did.

FMAS

Star Member
Jul 26, 2018
Hi, all!! For some reason, I did not get hussainkestrel comment. But here I reply to both your questions. Finally I did not re-apply. I came to Canada with the original Study permit issued (but remember I had the new Letter of Admission from the college with the deferral date), so at the POE I showed everything as requested and they just remind me my Study permit expired on June 2018. So, like 40 days before the expiry date I applied for extension as well as Temporary residensy (it's done in the same process, your study institution helps in the process of getting the paperwork, or you may contact me via this forum when the time arrives) and it came about 6 weeks after. Mind you! One thing is the Study permit extension and the other is the visitor visa which allows you to enter/leave the country. That you have to renew it once your Study permit extension arrives.

So hussainkestrel and FMAS, you can enter the country with all the documents to present at request at POE (original and revised/updated Letter od Admission) and remember to ask for extension when it is the time.

IMPORTANT !!! Check the times for each of your countries as regards the extension application. Each case is different, so maybe you have to request with some more anticipation than what I did.
Thank u so much this is very helpful. I was worried if I show revised letter with deferral they might not allow me to enter in Sep and will ask me to come in Dec to start term in Jan 2019.

Is it safe to show deferral letter or enter on first letter?

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Is it safe to show deferral letter or enter on first letter?[/QUOTE]

According to the date stamped on your passport, you can enter the country before the expiry date.

As regards the letters, take both, the original and the deferral. If necessary explain them, but there is no need to explain. but don't forget to have both letters

Shirley@any

Sep 20, 2018
Hi valu_milu

I am also having a similar situation.
My visa approval got delayed for SEP 2018 intake so I had to defer to Jan intake(got the offer letter) but into a different program bcus the program I chose for SEP intake wasn't available until next SEP.
Visa expires after SEP 2019.

Can you please help me with any information u have in what I can do further.Can I enter into the country with the already approved visa?

Thank you in advance.

Pavankumar97

Feb 2, 2019
Hi valu_milu

My visa approval got delayed for SEP 2018 intake so I had to defer to Jan intake(got the offer letter) but into a different program bcus the program I chose for SEP intake wasn't available until next SEP.

Can you please help me with any information u have in what I can do further.Can I enter into the country with the already approved visa?

Thank you in advance.
HI I am also having same problem right now. I have applied for different program, but still didnt get the new offer letter for sep 2019 intake. Can u please tell me how u solved ur situtation.

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
Hi valu_milu

Thank you in advance.

Hi! For some reason I got your message due to the message that was posted after yours. Apologies for not having replied on time. Did you solved your issue?

valu_milu

Oct 31, 2016
HI I am also having same problem right now. I have applied for different program, but still didnt get the new offer letter for sep 2019 intake. Can u please tell me how u solved ur situtation.

Hi!
Have you already got your study permit?When does the study permit expires?

Did you applied for a different program after you got your study permit? Information is not at all clear to me. Please, expand