+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit about to expire, PGWP still in process

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
It very clearly says "HAD a valid study permit", meaning that your study permit had to be valid when you applied for the PGWP.

Seriously, it is very clearly written that you can continue working. I don't know why you are trying to cause yourself problems.
Sorry to retrieve this thread,

I applied for my PGWP on Sept 8th and my study permit will expire on Nov 1st. I understand that by right I am on implied status now, however I read from this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=15.5 that:

If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):
  • On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
So can I work after the expiry of my study permit till I get a decision on my work permit application? My new employer thinks I can only work when I get my work permit.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Your employer is wrong. Ring the call-center and get them to email you confirmation that you can work. Then give it to your employer. That's what i done

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry to retrieve this thread,

I applied for my PGWP on Sept 8th and my study permit will expire on Nov 1st. I understand that by right I am on implied status now, however I read from this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=15.5 that:

If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):
  • On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
So can I work after the expiry of my study permit till I get a decision on my work permit application? My new employer thinks I can only work when I get my work permit.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

Joha2019

Oct 2, 2019
Hi guys,
From reading all the messages in this forum, I am clear now that I can work full-time after the expiration of my study permit while waiting for my PGWP. However, I was told today in the CRA office that my SIN number will be inactivated automatically when my study permit expires. Under this scenario, having the SIN number inactive, will my employer be able to do my payroll? or do I need to do something to active the SIN during my implied status?

I appreciate your help!!
Joha

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,
From reading all the messages in this forum, I am clear now that I can work full-time after the expiration of my study permit while waiting for my PGWP. However, I was told today in the CRA office that my SIN number will be inactivated automatically when my study permit expires. Under this scenario, having the SIN number inactive, will my employer be able to do my payroll? or do I need to do something to active the SIN during my implied status?

I appreciate your help!!
Joha
You can work on an expired SIN.

Reactions: Joha2019

mnm_22

Oct 11, 2019
Hi..
@canuck_in_uk
According to this information from CIC helpcentre; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=492&top=15
one cannot continue working once their study permit has expired, even though they have applied for PGWP when the study permit was valid. It seems as if the "implied status" is applicable only from the time you apply for PGWP (on a valid study permit) until your study permit has expired.

This is mind boggling! I hope you can share your experience and advice.

Maleek0007

Star Member
May 17, 2019
I have a question,I payed my tuition deposit before discovering the format of my name is not thesame with my passport,I contacted the school to change it on my LOA,but the date on the new LOA is 17Oct while on tve tuition deposit i paid earlier this month, please I need your advice, should I use the old letter,or new one

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi..
@canuck_in_uk
According to this information from CIC helpcentre; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=492&top=15
one cannot continue working once their study permit has expired, even though they have applied for PGWP when the study permit was valid. It seems as if the "implied status" is applicable only from the time you apply for PGWP (on a valid study permit) until your study permit has expired.

This is mind boggling! I hope you can share your experience and advice.
It is not mind-boggling. That is referring to other permits, i.e. a closed work permit or a OWP based on a spouse's status.

Santhu7878

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
@canuck_in_uk

Hi canuck, can you please guide on the situation.

I have applied for pgwp on aug 27, 2019 and my spouse owp expires on nov 30, 2019. My pgwp is still in processing. Can you please tell whether can i apply for spouse owp extension with my processing document and letter of explanation. BTW i am doing a full time job under NOC A category and i have 3 payslips till now. And my spouse is also working under NOC B category. I really dont want to loose her job by converting to visitor visa. Can please guide me on this situation? Or else can i go flagpole while my pgwp is in processing?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk

Hi canuck, can you please guide on the situation.

I have applied for pgwp on aug 27, 2019 and my spouse owp expires on nov 30, 2019. My pgwp is still in processing. Can you please tell whether can i apply for spouse owp extension with my processing document and letter of explanation. BTW i am doing a full time job under NOC A category and i have 3 payslips till now. And my spouse is also working under NOC B category. I really dont want to loose her job by converting to visitor visa. Can please guide me on this situation? Or else can i go flagpole while my pgwp is in processing?
She can apply. It's still early, so she doesn't need to apply right away.

Paulsha2000

Oct 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I appreciate your help!!
Joha
You can work on an expired SIN.

How can he work without a valid SIN?

Iretomiwa

Dec 30, 2017
Hi
My PGWP expired in Dec 2019 and i got a work permit for another two years. I have an employer who is willing to help me will LMIA but I don’t know if I should be doing LMIA exemption and if so I don’t know which LMIA exemption code I should choose also i was told to “ explain in my own words how i meet the requirements of LMIA exemption” .
Can somebody help me please? This is urgent
Thanks

Mar 27, 2019
hello @canuck_in_uk
My study visa expired on December 31st, 2021, and I have my visitors visa till 2025, should I still apply to restore my student visa before applying for PGWP?
I really need help in clarifying this