Study permit about to expire, PGWP still in process

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HI Canuck. I have read several of your responses and you really sound confident and provide people with assertive and relief comments. Congrats.

I was looking on the web for some clarification since my situation is alike the person that started this thread, however I found conflicting information on the CIC website and don't know how I should proceed. Could you help?

Basically, I graduated on Dec 8th, applied on Jan 11th for my PGWP and my Study permit expires on March 31st. According to the estimated processing time, it may take up to 81 days to process PGWP requests. 81 days + Jan 11 = April 2nd.

Cic says I need to cease working and studying after my study permit expires if I applied for a different permit (e.g. work permit).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=492&top=15

Cic also says I can work while I wait for a decision on PGWP.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

Which rules apply in this case? I mean, it seems two rules clash and I don't understand if that would be a matter of interpretation or what... Because PGWP is a work permit so I should cease working according to the first link... Unless we interpret that PGWP is treated differently by CIC and does not fall under that rule, allowing me to work regardless of my Study permit being expired or not until CIC makes its decision upon my case.

Could you give some inputs on this?

I am currently working and I am totally ok to cease working if that is the case. I just need to clarify this so I can arrange the details with my employer.
Moving from a study permit to a PGWP is different. You can continue to work.

Goodwinthegr8

Star Member
Jul 10, 2016
Very clearly explained by IRCC. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus.

Of course criteria is met during summer break, as it is an authorized break in studies.

All of your friends worked illegally.

You can try but don't be surprised by a refusal.
Thanks a lot for the reply and sharing such an important link. It quite clearly answers my query. But unfortunately I saw it today (as somehow I thought I will get a notification for any reply made against my comment).

Honestly speaking, I really do not rely on any 'friends' in this regard, until their claims are supported by any CIC website links, this is why I asked you too.

As it looks like you're really a pro in this area, I have some more queries for you.. Can you please share your thoughts against below situations -

i) I get an official letter from the University and apply for PGWP, will my student visa get invalidated (student visa has validaty date till 30-Nov-19), as I am not going to study anymore? I understand, student permit will might get invalidated.
- If 'no', then can I re-enter Canada with that student permit anymore, irrespective of the status of my PGWP application?
By going through - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?top=22 , I think answer is yes

- If yes, then can I raise a TRV along with PGWP application?

ii) I simply go back to my home country without applying, and when I come back, and I have final transcript/letter from my university, and I apply for the PGWP. Again, in this situation, can I re-enter Canada with my student visa?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks a lot for the reply and sharing such an important link. It quite clearly answers my query. But unfortunately I saw it today (as somehow I thought I will get a notification for any reply made against my comment).

Honestly speaking, I really do not rely on any 'friends' in this regard, until their claims are supported by any CIC website links, this is why I asked you too.

As it looks like you're really a pro in this area, I have some more queries for you.. Can you please share your thoughts against below situations -

i) I get an official letter from the University and apply for PGWP, will my student visa get invalidated (student visa has validaty date till 30-Nov-19), as I am not going to study anymore? I understand, student permit will might get invalidated.
- If 'no', then can I re-enter Canada with that student permit anymore, irrespective of the status of my PGWP application?
By going through - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?top=22 , I think answer is yes

- If yes, then can I raise a TRV along with PGWP application?

ii) I simply go back to my home country without applying, and when I come back, and I have final transcript/letter from my university, and I apply for the PGWP. Again, in this situation, can I re-enter Canada with my student visa?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and thanks in advance.
Your TRV remains valid regardless of your status.

Reactions: Goodwinthegr8

Goodwinthegr8

Star Member
Jul 10, 2016
@canuck_in_uk
I have got another query for you.
I requested for the transcript and the program completion letter on January 29 and received the transcript yesterday, i.e. January 30, and received the program completion letter today, i.e. January 31.

Now the problem is, even though transcript has yesterday's date (January 30), program completion letter has a date of January 14.

Can you please tell me is it normal? or if I submit a PGWP request there will be some problem due to difference in dates and also I have worked part-time from January 14 to January 29 (as you said earlier, and mentioned in CIC, it is legal).

Thanks in advance.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Transcript only has the date it was sent. The program completion letter tells you the program completion date.

Goodwinthegr8

Star Member
Jul 10, 2016
Transcript only has the date it was sent. The program completion letter tells you the program completion date.
So, even if got confirmation today (January 31), it will be considered as January 14... :(
not sure what is going to happen to my application then....

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Doesnt matter the date you receive the letter, PGWP goes by the date you completed the program. That is why in rules it states that you have to apply within 90 days of your graduation

nganngan974

Jun 21, 2019
Hi @canuck_in_uk and everyone,
I did read through all of your comments and got clarified a bit better. However, my case varies a little different from the original thread and so, I really need a clarification for my case separately.
I have just finished my last course on June 19th and requested for all letters needed for PGWP application from my university. My Study permit expires on July 31st.
I am currently working part-time and have just got a full-time job offer starting on July 2. Therefore, if by July 2, I have not yet applied for my PGWP, can I still work full-time as right now is summer which is scheduled break and international students are allowed to work full-time? Or should I comply with the statement on one of the links from previous posts that while I am waiting for my Program completion letter from my institution, I can just work part-time?
In a nutshell, does summer break make a difference in terms of my working status while waiting for application?
I really need help right now as I have to give a clear answer to my employer.
Thank you so much in advance.