+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit about to expire, PGWP still in process

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am in a critical situation here and would like to find some answers for my situation.

My final grades were updated in June 17, I applied for my PGWP in the July 10th. However, the current processing time for the PGWPs are now 70+ days, which means it is longer than the expiry date of my study permit (automatically expire after 90days--Sept. 17th).

As a result, what can I do during this time period?

A: apply for visitors visa and stay as a visitor(I cannot work during this period, which I don't like).
B: go home directly and wait for my PGWP.

I wanted to go for B but I did not see any related information on the CIC website which makes me nervous.

I've been here before and got lots of useful answers from you guys, I really appreciate all your help.

Can I go home directly while waiting? Also, since my study permit will automatically expire, do I have to reapply for a new visa before entering Canada?

Thank you so much for your help!

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
You don't need to do anything. You will have valid Implied Status and can continue working while you wait for your PGWP.
Thank you so much for your reply.

As you stated, I will be in Implied Status while waiting,does that mean that I am automatically in Implied Status or do I need to apply for it and pay a fee?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your reply.

As you stated, I will be in Implied Status while waiting,does that mean that I am automatically in Implied Status or do I need to apply for it and pay a fee?
Automatic.

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
Automatic.
Thank you taking your time to reply.

I went on the CIC website for information under Implied Status, it only mentions about the people who were studying and applied to renew their study permit/who were working and applied to renew their work permit.

However, they didn't mention people who are in my situation( student permit applying for work permit).

I am really sorry for the hassle I caused you and thank you for your time!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you taking your time to reply.

I went on the CIC website for information under Implied Status, it only mentions about the people who were studying and applied to renew their study permit/who were working and applied to renew their work permit.

However, they didn't mention people who are in my situation( student permit applying for work permit).

I am really sorry for the hassle I caused you and thank you for your time!!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

Reactions: Mia.J

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Many thanks for your reply!! Really appreciate your kindness!!

Although I'm very nervous, I will still keep waiting!!

Thank you so much!!
There is no need to be nervous. Your situation is typical of most students and there is nothing to worry about.

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
There is no need to be nervous. Your situation is typical of most students and there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you for your comment!!

I forgot where I heard somewhere that students have to apply within 90days after they finish their courses because you have to have a legal status when waiting for the PGWP.

And since the PGWP comes during the 90 days period I thought I will lose status afterwards if I don't get it.

I really appreciate you answering my question!! Thank you!!

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
You don't need to do anything. You will have valid Implied Status and can continue working while you wait for your PGWP.
Hi @canuck_in_uk really need your suggestions. If I get a offer letter now and applied for pgwp 2 months ago and still waiting for the decision. Also study permit will be expired in 5 days. So sin number will be expiring in 5 days. Can I start that job without a valid sin? In implied status now.
Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @canuck_in_uk really need your suggestions. If I get a offer letter now and applied for pgwp 2 months ago and still waiting for the decision. Also study permit will be expired in 5 days. So sin number will be expiring in 5 days. Can I start that job without a valid sin? In implied status now.
Thank you
Yes.

Goodwinthegr8

Star Member
Jul 10, 2016
@Konok keya @Mia.J
I also have a kind of similar question, although situation is not completely same, I may land in the same situation soon :)
So trying to get the information beforehand.

Here is my situation:
(Hopefully) I am graduating this January and I will have the certificate by next month to apply for the PGWP. What I am planning is that raising it bit late, may be even 40 days before the allowed 'end date' of the application (i.e. 90 days from the date of completion of the program).

why - because this will give me around 2.5 months to look for, and get an NOC A, B job offer (considering myself quite lucky :)). Then once I have this offer, I can raise work permit of my spouse along with my PGWP application.

So can you please let me konw how it went for your guys. Will it create any problem for me? Although, just to add, my visa and student permit are valid till 30-Nov-2019.

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@Konok keya @Mia.J
I also have a kind of similar question, although situation is not completely same, I may land in the same situation soon :)

Here is my situation:
(Hopefully) I am graduating this January and I will have the certificate by next month to apply for the PGWP. What I am planning is that raising it bit late, may be even 40 days before the allowed 'end date' of the application (i.e. 90 days from the date of completion of the program).

why - because this will give me around 2.5 months to look for, and get an NOC A, B job offer (considering myself quite lucky :)). Then once I have this offer, I can raise work permit of my spouse along with my PGWP application.

So can you please let me konw how it went for your guys. Will it create any problem for me? Although, just to add, my visa and student permit are valid till 30-Nov-2019.

Thank you.
Note that you will only be able to work 20 hours a week until you apply for a PGWP and you need 3 payslips for your spouse to apply for an OWP.

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
@Konok keya @Mia.J

Here is my situation:

Thank you.
You can work full-time after you apply for PGWP. I think it's better to apply for PGWP as early as possible after your graduation. Then when you get 3 pay slips from the company apply for your spouse's OWP. My personal opinion. Thanks.

hannser

Jan 7, 2019
@Konok keya @canuck_in_uk

Hello both, I hope you guys can guide me on this.
I am in the same situation than the original post. Well, mostly. I received the response from immigration for my PGWP application but they made a mistake, the reject it because they said I did apply for a restoration of my TR status and by paper, which I never did and also I am still under my study permit. Anyhow, now my case is under review and I have to wait for further instructions or if a decision is made.
Now my study permit expires next week, I guess my implied status as well since my original application was rejected and basically now is under revision. So my big question is, what should I do if I didn't receive any response and my study permit expires? Should I go to the border before expires and explain there to the officers? I will be still under implied status? Should I leave the country the day says expires or wait here?

Thank you guys very much in advance.