+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student on H4 Visa applying for Canadian study permit

subinoyd26

Aug 28, 2023
My son is currently on Grade 12 and on H4 Visa. I am working in H1B Visa. I will be sponsoring his studies, will provide bank statement, US employment letter. I have a property in India and also my paternal properties. Will there be an issue on getting the Canadian study Visa, as my son is currently studying in US in H4 and I am working in US ?

Kindly share your experience and views.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My son is currently on Grade 12 and on H4 Visa. I am working in H1B Visa. I will be sponsoring his studies, will provide bank statement, US employment letter. I have a property in India and also my paternal properties. Will there be an issue on getting the Canadian study Visa, as my son is currently studying in US in H4 and I am working in US ?

Kindly share your experience and views.
So he has admission to a Canadian university or college? How long is program? IRCC wants to see that he can afford studies so they want to see money in the bank, not future income. So you will want to pay first year tuition. Given he is not in India, has no family in India and cannot show ties to return then it may weaken his application. Your properties are not relevant.

subinoyd26

Aug 28, 2023
He is planning for admission to Canadian University for 4 year bachelor degree course.

Typically I have seen applicants paying 1st term or 1st semester fees and then showing fees of another term + 13k cad in the bank account.

Will that be ok?

Regarding return from Canada after studies, if he mentions that he intends to either return to US or India based on the location of his parents, will that be ok?

I am also curious about the intent of return.
What happens to those international students who apply for work permit after completion of studies instead of returning. Are they on hold , due to the SOP they have submitted during admission?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He is planning for admission to Canadian University for 4 year bachelor degree course.

Typically I have seen applicants paying 1st term or 1st semester fees and then showing fees of another term + 13k cad in the bank account.

Will that be ok?

Regarding return from Canada after studies, if he mentions that he intends to either return to US or India based on the location of his parents, will that be ok?

I am also curious about the intent of return.
What happens to those international students who apply for work permit after completion of studies instead of returning. Are they on hold , due to the SOP they have submitted during admission?
The funds may work. What is the cost of a 4 year program? IRCC will want to see significant funds to pay for the program because he is young and cannot show his own savings nor work enough to save for a program. You can include what you have. You can include employment but IRCC wants money in the bank. You can lose your job and then your child doesn’t have the funds to pay for school, and becomes a destitute student (IRCC view).

US is only an option if he has permanent status. What will be his status at the age of around 22? if not permanent, then IRCC will want ties to India. Once he is over 22, he is a dependant so your status or where you live is not relevant. If he graduates as a full time student, he will get a work permit permit. That is down the road so when applying for a study permit, he shows ties to return (most likely India).

Last edited:

subinoyd26

Aug 28, 2023
His current age is 17.

At the time of admission, he will be 18.
The total tution fee for the 4 yr program will be 128K CAD.
However I have not yet seen someone showing 4 year funds in the bank for eligibility.

At the age of 22, he will not have permanent status in US likely, unless the GC goes thru by then.

If someone has gone thru the process, then sharing that information (e.g how much funds had to be shown, issues regarding ties with India) will really help.