+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in Paris airport need PRTD

Jan 1, 2017
My PR card turns out expired. They didnt let me on the place to get back to Canada. They said embassy closed until Tuesday. I need to apply for prtd travel document. How long does it take to get this document? I'm running out of money and need to get back to Canada asap. When i go on Tuesday to apply will they give it to me right away?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Elconchesumare said:
My PR card turns out expired. They didnt let me on the place to get back to Canada. They said embassy closed until Tuesday. I need to apply for prtd travel document. How long does it take to get this document? I'm running out of money and need to get back to Canada asap. When i go on Tuesday to apply will they give it to me right away?
I've read 3+ weeks for processing, though it probably varies depending on processing center/documentation that you have, etc...

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Alternatively if you have a US visa fly to the US and cross land border. If i read correctly VFS handle PRTDs in France on behalf of Canadian government but as previous post not likely a quick process http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/france/english/index.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Elconchesumare said:
Your only alternative is to go via a land border crossing from the USA in private transport or foot. This assumes that you are able to get to the USA. Assume that you will be in France for an extended period otherwise. You should start reading the process at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

I should probably mention that if you are not in compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements, a PRTD application will provide IRCC the opportunity to start with the PR revocation process.

Jan 1, 2017
No U.S visa :( just Colombian passport and a Canadian permanent residency. Have travelled before no issues. Just this time the PR card is expired. I read I can get a travel document to get back to Canada and once in Canada I apply to get PR card renewed. My question is tho, the travel document, how long does it take? I just can't believe getting a travel document that allows mentovget back to Canada can take so long. A new PR card yes that im sure can take long but a mere document saying yes please allow him to get back just once on a one way trip, gonna take weeks??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Elconchesumare said:
No U.S visa :( just Colombian passport and a Canadian permanent residency. Have travelled before no issues. Just this time the PR card is expired. I read I can get a travel document to get back to Canada and once in Canada I apply to get PR card renewed. My question is tho, the travel document, how long does it take? I just can't believe getting a travel document that allows mentovget back to Canada can take so long. A new PR card yes that im sure can take long but a mere document saying yes please allow him to get back just once on a one way trip, gonna take weeks??
It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to obtain a PRTD (this is assuming you meet the residency obligation).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Elconchesumare said:
I just can't believe getting a travel document that allows mentovget back to Canada can take so long. A new PR card yes that im sure can take long but a mere document saying yes please allow him to get back just once on a one way trip, gonna take weeks??
Yes it can take weeks. How long exactly have you been outside Canada? If a long time, it can actually take longer as you will need to provide proof you still meet the residency obligation.

It is entirely up to the PR card holder to keep track of their PR card expiry date, and to apply for a PR TD well in advance of travel date if card has expired.

Jan 1, 2017
Live in Canada for 15yrs.
Been to Paris for 7 days came just to spend Xmas and new year.
Messed up totally with the PR card being expired.
Just hoping I can go to embassy when they open again here and get this travel document asap.
I've found info recently on a different post from someone who got theirs they claim the same day in Vienna. Buy when they tried in Rome they were told 3 weeks.
If its going to take weeks then I'm screwed have to live in the airport.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Elconchesumare said:
Been to Paris for 7 days came just to spend Xmas and new year.
Messed up totally with the PR card being expired.
Just hoping I can go to embassy when they open again here and get this travel document asap.
I've found info recently on a different post from someone who got theirs they claim the same day in Vienna. Buy when they tried in Rome they were told 3 weeks.
I don't think it's the embassy you need to go to, it's the visa centre that processes PR Travel Docs:
http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/france/english/index.html
Canada Visa Application Centre
VF Services (UK) Limited
82 Rue d’Hauteville,
75010 Paris, France

You might want to also read details on how to prepare the PR Travel Doc application and what kind of info you'll need:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/index.asp

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Elconchesumare said:

Become a citizen, problem solved forever..as to living at the airport, there was a guy some years back who did exactly that. There is also a movie with Tom Hanks about him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
foodie69 said:
Become a citizen, problem solved forever..as to living at the airport, there was a guy some years back who did exactly that. There is also a movie with Tom Hanks about him.
"The terminal"