+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

A J

Star Member
May 28, 2017
Thanku for details. Everything else makes sense , the only thing I'm not familiar or haven't heard of is "label from RIV". At what stage this is required and is there any way to get it faster. I'm on a tight schedule. Need to fly out of canada as soon as I can due to family commitments. So in order to book air tickets ,i need to know the timeline.
Safety inspection MIGHT look for it to be present on the car, else no one cares.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanku for details. Everything else makes sense , the only thing I'm not familiar or haven't heard of is "label from RIV". At what stage this is required and is there any way to get it faster. I'm on a tight schedule. Need to fly out of canada as soon as I can due to family commitments. So in order to book air tickets ,i need to know the timeline.
You won't need it for registration of Car. If a cop decides to pull you over and if that cop has nothing else in the world to do then this label might get checked.

CestLucas

May 20, 2019
You won't need it for registration of Car. If a cop decides to pull you over and if that cop has nothing else in the world to do then this label might get checked.
Hi, sorry I've got a question about how long can you wait till getting your car inspected. I will import my car to Canada in July but have to leave the country for a month before coming back in August and after coming back it might take me a while to get my lease agreement to exchange my plate. Is this fine? I know there is a 45 day deadline but I am not sure. Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

seshasai.1988

Jun 13, 2019
Hi All,

Need help to understand the process to get corporate information to apply for the ACE account.

1. I have reached the link for ACE account(https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov/acexpub/acexpub_Apps/ExporterAccountApplication/expForm.php) to fill in the details to get ACE account but i am not sure how to get the EIN details.

Any help is much appreciated. I know this is a duplicate query but i could not find the original thread for this question.

Thanks in advance.

seshasai.1988

Jun 13, 2019
How do you use AES Direct / ACE to export your vehicle?
I cannot even register on ACE. It asks for Company information EIN number etc. assuming I am a trader or an exporter. Has anyone actually used the ACE/AESdirect system to register and generate the ITN ??
Can you please help me this process.

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
Hi All,

Need help to understand the process to get corporate information to apply for the ACE account.

1. I have reached the link for ACE account(https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov/acexpub/acexpub_Apps/ExporterAccountApplication/expForm.php) to fill in the details to get ACE account but i am not sure how to get the EIN details.

Any help is much appreciated. I know this is a duplicate query but i could not find the original thread for this question.

Thanks in advance.
Getting an EIN is a fully online process and takes less than 5 minutes. Basically, on the IRS website, use your SSN number and register as an "Employee" using your first and last name. If you have a specific query, let me know.

seshasai.1988

Jun 13, 2019
Getting an EIN is a fully online process and takes less than 5 minutes. Basically, on the IRS website, use your SSN number and register as an "Employee" using your first and last name. If you have a specific query, let me know.
I could not find "Employee" option in the list of option provided. I tried to select "Sole Proprietor" but i could not figure out the option for business type something like below:

Principal Business Activity
What your business/organization does: OTHER
Principal products/services: TO EXPORT MY CAR

Not sure if this is correct.

Also i read somewhere that we have to be an US citizen to apply for EIN. Is that true?

Please help.

Last edited:

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
Principal Business Activity
What your business/organization does: OTHER
Principal products/services: TO EXPORT MY CAR

Not sure if this is correct.

Also i read somewhere that we have to be an US citizen to apply for EIN. Is that true?

Please help.
This selection is correct. And no, you do not need to be a US citizen but a US person which by having an SSN, you qualify.

Pravin7

Jan 25, 2018
Hi.. I imported my car to Ontario.I have paid the $350 fee in the RIV website.The next step is to do the RIV inspection and safety inspection right? Can both be done at the same time with the same agency(eg.Canadian Tire)?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi.. I imported my car to Ontario.I have paid the $350 fee in the RIV website.The next step is to do the RIV inspection and safety inspection right? Can both be done at the same time with the same agency(eg.Canadian Tire)?
yes. I got these done at Canadian Tire.

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Hi all,

I have almost completed all the prerequisites to export my car i.e. until registering at the AES direct website to get the ITN number. I am yet to formally export the car via U.S. Customs and Border Protection and import it at the canadian end by filling form-1 and all.

However I am having second thoughts now and want to sell my car. Can I just go ahead and sell my car or do I have to cancel anything(ITN number) or inform anyone for instance RIV since I sent them the recall letter and all?

Please let me know.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi all,

I have almost completed all the prerequisites to export my car i.e. until registering at the AES direct website to get the ITN number. I am yet to formally export the car via U.S. Customs and Border Protection and import it at the canadian end by filling form-1 and all.

However I am having second thoughts now and want to sell my car. Can I just go ahead and sell my car or do I have to cancel anything(ITN number) or inform anyone for instance RIV since I sent them the recall letter and all?

Please let me know.
You are good to sell your car in US. Just cancel ITN number to be on safe side. No need to inform RIV.

Reactions: jetsons

365GoodDay

Jan 31, 2018
For information for all of us here: Any one living in US can have a EIN and AES account and can enter EEI into AES system. No need to pay $75-100 USD to an agent. Instructions are at link shared below. IRS will give you instant EIN online (if you don't alredy have one). Apply one as a Sole Proprietor. Then register for ACE account. Then login to AES with ACE account info and find the page to enter Export info. You will need to know the number (ID) of port of export - find it here (https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports). You will get ITIN once your EEI is approved in AES. ITIN should then be emailed to port of export (email address at link shared earlier) before 72 hours of export.

ALL THE BEST.!

Reference: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/global-reach/2014/05/exporting_vehicles.html
Hi There,
Thank you so much for the useful information. I imported my car temporary to Canada few years ago. Could you please help me with the following concerns?
- Now that my car is in Canada do I really need to go through the exportation process?
- If so, after following the above steps and getting the ITIN, do I need to take the car to the boarder (It is impossible to take the car to the boarder)?
Thank you