+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Hi all,
If I am temporarily importing the car to Canada from USA what all are the procedures.
  • Do I need to send the recall clearance letter to RIV.
  • After temporarily importing do I need to change number plates to Canadian number plates.
  • If I export from usa and temporarily import in Canada, can I later permanently import it to Canada.
Thanks
I don't think there is a provision of temporary import or permanently import, is there? Once you export your car from US, and Import your car into Canada. that's that.

You'll have to export your car from Canada and import it back into US if you move back to US - in my opinion.

Reactions: email.6633

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I don't think there is a provision of temporary import or permanently import, is there? Once you export your car from US, and Import your car into Canada. that's that.

You'll have to export your car from Canada and import it back into US if you move back to US - in my opinion.
Temporary workers/students can "temporarily import" car into Canada without exporting it from US. I did it in 2015.

Reactions: technokedar
Oct 24, 2017
I was successfully export the vehicle from USA and import it in Canada. I have to give a heads up that it is a tedious task, but achievable. I am giving steps in details. Please make a note that I am providing the steps for crossing over the NewYork to Ontario. Other borders in the middle and west, there may be a slight change in the process. But 90% will remain the same.

Please read through each step. Each steps are very important. Do not miss anything. This is not an official version. I am just trying to help out people. Please do go through the official documentations which I have mentioned below.

1. The vehicle should not have any vehicle loan(lien). Basically you need to have the title in hand. If you have the loan, then you need to have the letter from the bank/institution that you are allowed to export the car and cross the border.

2. The vehicle should not have any open Recalls. All the recalls should be cleared before we export. Email your vehicle manufacturer to provide a letter stating that this car is cleared from all recalls and this car is compliant with Canadian safety and compliance standards. In case you have any open recalls, go to manufacturer, get it fixed. Then wait for one day. Contact the manufacturer again to get the recall clearance letter.

3. Once the manufacturer sends this letter, email them to RIV recall@support.riv.ca. They will confirm in a day or 2 that they have accepted the same and the car is cleared for import.

4. You can get the importers checklist by navigating to this website and provide the details of your car. riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx

5. Email the border customs office on both USA and Canada sides to get the information. It is very important to do it because they will let you know in case anything has changed.

Not every bridge allows exporting the vehicle. In NewYork state, only Queenston-Lewiston bridge allows exporting the vehicle.

6. You need to register in AES direct website and get the ITN number. The details will be mentioned in the email which the customs team send to you. It is a simple form. But since I didn’t had the time, I contacted one agent to get it done. I had to pay around 100$ to get it done. You have to provide the border crossing date when you fill in the form. If any details change, please update it before you cross the border.

7. Send the ITN number, VIN number to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@DHS.GOV 72 hours before crossing the border. This is very important. If it is not met, you will not be able to export the vehicle.

8. The border can be crossed only during the weekdays 8am-4pm. You have to go to Queenston Lewiston bridge on US side and look for customs office and check for Vehicle export office.

9. Give the title, ITN details, email proof etc. Please keep your legal presence proof in USA. For e.g. valid i797A document for H1B holders. They specifically asked me for my legal presence document.

10. They will put a seal in the title and will handover the title.

11. Cross the border (do not drive back to USA). Once you reach Canada side, please inform them that you are exporting the car. They will ask you to park the car near in the parking lot and carry all the documents inside the office.

12. Please visit the office, complete the landing procedures. For car export, provide them the title and copr. Fill in the FORM-1 (Auto import form for Canada). They will put a seal in Form 1 and will give it back to you. They will also give one blue color paper (invoice). Please keep these 2 documents with you. It is very important.

13. Go to RIV website, provide the number which is given in the Form 1, and make the payment. It is around 350$.

14. Once you take an apartment in Canada, you will get your lease agreement. Go to driving test office and transfer your license.

15. Take the car for Canada safety inspection and RIV inspection. Better to take appointment because of long wait period. The RIV inspection is free since you already pay directly to RIV (included in 350$). But safety inspection is something which you have to pay. In Canadian tire, it was 130$. But I was able to get it done from another shop for 60$.

16. Search for auto insurance. Get one before you register the car.

17. Once you have both the documents ready, go to Service Ontario and get the car registered. You need to give Title, Your Ontario DL, Safety clearance, Form 1, Application form, proof of insurance.

18. They will register the car and will give the new number plates.

19. Send the old number plate back to US, your state DMV. Disconnect the US insurance after this.

All official details can be found in this website.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx
Hi,
Thanks for the awesome info, could you please tell that were you charges when you registered your Car in Canada?

trojan06

Apr 12, 2018
On this topic I am hoping someone can help in my situation. I am a US citizen who became a permanent resident of Canada in 2016. I am living in Canada but am driving my US vehicle I leased on California. I now will be going back and forth for work quite a bit and technically living in both US and Canada. Will they give me a hard time at the border when I try to bring my car back to Canada after I leave? They asked a bunch of questions last time and I basically said I was still living in the US even though I had my PR. The issue is to keep my PR I have to live in Canada I believe its 3 of 5 years otherwise I lose it. I am thinking of just telling them I have lived in Canada the past 2 years but now am living in the US. I would export the car to Canada and pay the taxes if I could but I cant since its a US lease.

sijusony

Nov 14, 2014
Hi All,

I was doing formalities to import my car to Canada, when I sent email to US customs I got an automated reply containing below text

"Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to formally exported by US customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action."

I used to visit Canada with this car, will there be any problem when I try to export car to Canada permanently ?

Thanks

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hi All,

I was doing formalities to import my car to Canada, when I sent email to US customs I got an automated reply containing below text

"Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to formally exported by US customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action."

I used to visit Canada with this car, will there be any problem when I try to export car to Canada permanently ?

Thanks
I dont think so. It is basically, the car should be physically present while exporting process happens.

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
How are you managing car insurance?

On this topic I am hoping someone can help in my situation. I am a US citizen who became a permanent resident of Canada in 2016. I am living in Canada but am driving my US vehicle I leased on California. I now will be going back and forth for work quite a bit and technically living in both US and Canada. Will they give me a hard time at the border when I try to bring my car back to Canada after I leave? They asked a bunch of questions last time and I basically said I was still living in the US even though I had my PR. The issue is to keep my PR I have to live in Canada I believe its 3 of 5 years otherwise I lose it. I am thinking of just telling them I have lived in Canada the past 2 years but now am living in the US. I would export the car to Canada and pay the taxes if I could but I cant since its a US lease.

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
IMPORTANT: Car Registration, Car Insurance, RIV

I am not able to edit the original post. Hence posting it here. Please make a note of it...

Before you start from US:
  • Please get the recall clearance letter and send it to RIV. They will confirm that your car is good to go.
  • Get the drivers history (Certified) from the local DMV, which should contain your US history. This needs to be provided for getting license.
  • Contact all the auto insurers you were with and get the written confirmation on the time period you were with that insurance. This is very important as you have to showcase this to the local insurance providers here to get a new auto insurance. There should not be any gap in insurance coverage.

For Car Registration:

Once you cross the border, you have to pay the RIV fees. RIV and safety inspection needs to be done after that. Please keep a watch on a mail (hardcopy) from RIV where they provide you a sticker which needs to be put in the front driver side door. Watch out for this within 10-15 days of paying your RIV fees.

tmath87

May 11, 2018
Temporary workers/students can "temporarily import" car into Canada without exporting it from US. I did it in 2015.
Sorry to open the old thread. What happens if you are on student visa (F-1) in the US and move to Canada on a work permit? Do you have to export the car from the US? Side note: my US visa is expiring in a couple of months.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sorry to open the old thread. What happens if you are on student visa (F-1) in the US and move to Canada on a work permit? Do you have to export the car from the US? Side note: my US visa is expiring in a couple of months.
Your status in US does not matter. If you are moving to Canada on temporary basis ( student, work permit etc.) then you don't need to export car out of USA.

tmath87

May 11, 2018
Your status in US does not matter. If you are moving to Canada on temporary basis ( student, work permit etc.) then you don't need to export car out of USA.
Thanks for responding. When I called CBP at their Detroit office, they said that you have to export it and gave me bunch of steps to follow. Also added, if you don't export then will be penalized with $5000.
I am unable to find proper guidelines in CBP website too.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for responding. When I called CBP at their Detroit office, they said that you have to export it and gave me bunch of steps to follow. Also added, if you don't export then will be penalized with $5000.
did you check the first page of this thread?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
US CBP won't even know if you move your car as you won't be going to any US office on your way out.

I had moved to Canada for 13 months on Work Permit in 2015. I did thorough research back then. US had introduced this AES system and not many people ( even movers) knew how to work with it so I decided to skip "export from US" part as it was not mandatory for me. I directly went to Canada checkpost and "temporarily" imported my car into Canada. Registered my car in Canada and exchanged my DL.

In 2016, I moved back to USA. I showed up at US check post and told them that I moving my car from Canada to US. I was directed to secondary inspection/customs area ( things are hazy as its been 2 years). Their I showed my Original bill of sale ( from the time I purchased car in US) and received CBP 7501(?). Went to DMV, showed CBP 7501 and got my car registered in US.

By the way, keep a copy of title with you as in Canada you will surrender registration+title and will only get registration in return. Their is no concept of title in Canada ( as far as I know). This will help you if you decide to move back car to US. I had shown Original bill of sale but CBP prefers to see car title.

Tagging @technokedar as he might be moving to Canada on work permit.