+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
72 hours notice is required if you want to export car out of USA which is not applicable in your case. I went directly to CBSA post, showed my work permit and told them that I want to "temporarily" import car into Canada.
Just ensure that your current insurance company covers the insurance. And also, in Ontario, the liability is 1million dollars. But in US, that wouldnt be case. So better to check with CBSA officials before even you think of starting this process.

Apurv7164

Aug 1, 2017
Please make a note that your US insurance is not covered as soon as you enter Canada. They have specifically mentioned that they are covered only during the visit in Canada. But not if you are moving to Canada. Hence please talk to them before you travel. Secondly try to get Canadian insurance before you cross the border.
Hi

I am planning to make a move in January 2018. Just want to know what insurance you got from Canada. Did you get it before moving? Will they give insurance without local license and registration??? Ufff... sorry so many questions... moving anxiety, hope you understand

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
I took insurance after moving in... I took a risk of not having insurance for 2 weeks...
I had a peace of mind that existing insurance may cover.... But it wasnt....
You can call them up and inquire for new insurance... Ideally they should give because insurance is mandatory for registration.....

Hi

I am planning to make a move in January 2018. Just want to know what insurance you got from Canada. Did you get it before moving? Will they give insurance without local license and registration??? Ufff... sorry so many questions... moving anxiety, hope you understand

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi

I had GEICO and they cover Canada. Your Canadian insurance coverage won't start until your Car is registered in Canada.

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Geico doesnt cover canada if you are moving to Canada.
Geico covers only if you are temporarily visiting canada.
Sorry. I should have been more specific. I spoke with GEICO before leaving for Canada on temp work permit in Jan 2015 and I got confirmation that GEICO will cover till I get my Car registered in Canada.

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
I would recommend cross check it. i was clearly told that they will cover only if we are visiting while crossing the border.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Silly question though. I'll driving the 15' Uhaul and my car will be tied up on the trailer. I guess that shouldn't change anything ?

Also, hypothetically speaking. What if I do a "soft" landing in March by driving my car. During that time I import the car into Canada. Can I then after - let's say 7-10 days drive the car back to US and get it back again to Canada in July when I move with my stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: ravi1441

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
The problem with that is, once you export the car to canada, there will be a seal in your title from US Border patrol. EXPORTED.
I am not sure about the complications of registrations, insurance etc once the car is exported and you still drive in US roads.
Again, once you import the car to canada, you have some deadlines (45 days for safety inspection), 90 days for regn etc. So you will miss those deadlines too.. You cannot register the car in canada without those.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Silly question though. I'll driving the 15' Uhaul and my car will be tied up on the trailer. I guess that shouldn't change anything ?

Also, hypothetically speaking. What if I do a "soft" landing in March by driving my car. During that time I import the car into Canada. Can I then after - let's say 7-10 days drive the car back to US and get it back again to Canada in July when I move with my stuff?

Reactions: Kuchbhi

ufarooqi1981

Aug 3, 2016
This thread has been very useful but i have a slightly different situation, i will be doing a soft landing within a week and wanted to confirm the following if someone can help.

1. I have a car with shared ownership, between me and another relative , can i use this car to do a soft landing and not import the car at that time? i read somewhere that the CBSA does not like it if you are doing soft landing and not importing the car at that time. any experience?
2. The second car i have is leased but it has temporary plates at the moment, can i use this car for the landing without importing.

Please share your feedback as i need to decide quickly between using one of my cars or may be take a rental this time.?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
This thread has been very useful but i have a slightly different situation, i will be doing a soft landing within a week and wanted to confirm the following if someone can help.

1. I have a car with shared ownership, between me and another relative , can i use this car to do a soft landing and not import the car at that time? i read somewhere that the CBSA does not like it if you are doing soft landing and not importing the car at that time. any experience?
2. The second car i have is leased but it has temporary plates at the moment, can i use this car for the landing without importing.

Please share your feedback as i need to decide quickly between using one of my cars or may be take a rental this time.?
I did soft landing recently. I told CBSA agents that I am returning to USA after finishing landing formalities and I do not want to import car today. CBSA agents at check-post and inside office were fine with it. I was not asked to show title, registration and insurance. You can take any car for soft landing as long as you have registration and insurance of the car ( highly recommended even though I was not asked to show these documents).

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
USA insurance companies may not cover the insurance for long if you are driving in Canada.
And as per canada law, the minimum is 1 million liability. And in USA, coverage is pretty less.

LOL, for some reason I was under impression that you had your US car for a year or so in Canada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1 million liability :eek:, wow that's huge. I wonder why?

Edit: This site says its $200k (which is still a lot)

https://www.autoinsurancecenter.com/canadian-car-insurance-the-basics.htm
1. Minimum in BC is 200K but comprehensive insurance is relatively cheap. Personally I wouldn't have less than 3M, because if you get sued in an Accident and the courts award greater than your comprehensive, you are on the "hook" for the balance. Lose your car, your house, savings.