Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Hi guys. This morning I received my Visa and CoPR, and my CIC application status says that my application is now closed after approval. I was wondering what the exact details of the next steps would be. From what I understand, I have to visit Canada, and at the Port of Entry I'll have to give an interview, after which my CoPR will become active and my PR card would be sent to a Canadian address that I provide.

1) Is my understanding correct, as mentioned above ?

2) How long would I have to stay in Canada for this initial trip ? My understanding is that I can return immediately to my own country for now if I wish, and that the Canadian entry is only required to trigger the generation of my PR card. Is this correct ?

3) How hard is the initial immigration interview at the Port of Entry ? Is it okay if I tell them that I plan to shift to Canada after about a year after my studies in the US finish off ?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, except it is not an interview. It's a routine standard Q&A. You'll be asked if you have committed any crime before landing and do tou have any/other dependants than what is mentioned on the CoPR.

2. You can return immediately after landing, but you'll need a Canadian address to have your cards sent to. Also you can only enter Canada afterwards via a private vehicle using your CoPR. You cannot enter Canada via commercial transport without your PR card

3. No problem to mention that you'll leave and come back. If you're willing to bring owned goods with, don't forget to fill put a B4 and/or a B4A form and get it stamped at POE.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Doda said:
1. Yes, except it is not an interview. It's a routine standard Q&A. You'll be asked if you have committed any crime before landing and do tou have any/other dependants than what is mentioned on the CoPR.

2. You can return immediately after landing, but you'll need a Canadian address to have your cards sent to. Also you can only enter Canada afterwards via a private vehicle using your CoPR. You cannot enter Canada via commercial transport without your PR card

3. No problem to mention that you'll leave and come back. If you're willing to bring owned goods with, don't forget to fill put a B4 and/or a B4A form and get it stamped at POE.
Thanks.

Will I have to give the Canadian address (for the PR card) at the time of entry into Canada ? Does it have to be a relative address, or can I give a friend's address as well ?

I also didn't understand the 'entry' procedure you mentioned. Are you saying that I can only use the CoPR once to enter Canada through a commercial airline or bus or something ?

Reactions: Pnp23

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can give a valid Canadian address of either a trusted friend or a relative.
Once you land you can leave Canada but to re-enter you need a PR card or a PR transit document. You can re-enter with a valid CoPR only if you're traveling in a private vehicle.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Okay, so that means my first entry via a plane won't be an issue. But then if I leave, my friend will have to send me the PR card once it arrives, and then I can use that to re-enter Canada via a plane ? Entering via a private vehicle isn't an option for me as I don't have a car.

How long does it take for CIC to send you your PR card ?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Officially as of today 54 days without posting. You'll need your friend to send you the card before re-entering by air, or apply for a PRTD in your country of residence.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Doda said:
Officially as of today 54 days without posting. You'll need your friend to send you the card before re-entering by air, or apply for a PRTD in your country of residence.
Thanks. So you're saying it took 54 days for you to get your PR card after you first landed in Canada ?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadka said:
Thanks. So you're saying it took 54 days for you to get your PR card after you first landed in Canada ?
You're welcome. This is the official processing time on the CIC website.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Doda said:
You're welcome. This is the official processing time on the CIC website.
Thanks. Could you give the link where 54 days is mentioned on CIC's website (just for my future reference) ?

Also, I had some other questions:

1) By when do I have to travel to Canada (the first initial trip) ? I think the CoPR accompanying document mentioned that I have to travel before my Immigrant Visa expires, however in another tutorial thread on this forum, it was mentioned that first trip has to be made before my medical exam results expire (which have a validity duration of one year). Which statement is true here ?

2) From what I understand, to maintain valid PR status you have to be in Canada for at least 3 years in any 5 year period. At what point does the 5 year duration initially start (to be in valid PR status) ?

3) When making my first initial trip to Canada, how much money am I supposed to carry with me, knowing that I'll be returning to the US in a few days ?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/

1. The CoPR has an expiration date which is the same as the expiration date of the medical.

2. It's 2 years not 3 out of 5 years that start on the day you land.

3. Bring enough amount for your ahort trip and show the rest of your funds via bank statement.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Doda said:
1. The CoPR has an expiration date which is the same as the expiration date of the medical.
What happens if you can't make your initial landing in Canada by then (just for my information) ?

Doda said:
2. It's 2 years not 3 out of 5 years that start on the day you land.
When you say "day you land", that's my first trip, right (When I have to take the CoPR with me, etc) ?

Doda said:
3. Bring enough amount for your ahort trip and show the rest of your funds via bank statement.
Would a simple bank statement suffice which shows my balance, or do I need any additional document or cover letters, etc. ?

Is there any requirement on how 'old' the funds have to be (that is, the minimum amount of time the balance has to remain in your bank account for it to be considered as a valid proof of funds) ?

Lastly, can the funds be in a currency other than CAD ? If yes, do I need any cover letter from the bank detailing the converted CAD value ?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You'll have to apply for immigration again. No extensions.

2. The day you come to activate your PR.

3. Just a simple recent bank statement that shows to funds equivalent in Canadian dollars. No age or cover letters required.

Reactions: vgm10689

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Thanks Doda.

Is there a way I can check what the expiry date of my medical exam is ? I checked my eMedical document and it doesn't mention any expiration date.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadka said:
Thanks Doda.

Is there a way I can check what the expiry date of my medical exam is ? I checked my eMedical document and it doesn't mention any expiration date.
1 year from the date of test, probably another extra week or two because that's how long it takes IRCC to see the report on eMedical.

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Asivad Anac said:
1 year from the date of test, probably another extra week or two because that's how long it takes IRCC to see the report on eMedical.
So does the 1 year duration start from when the test was done, or when the IRCC sees it ?