+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps after receiving an R-1.

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
Hey all,

I had a PR card when I was a minor but I had to return back to my home country because of some emergency. Lately I applied for a PRTD on the basis of H&C grounds and I have received a PRTD with R-1 category having 6 months validity. I want to know whether or not I shall communicate with the embassy to get the correct PRTD with RC-1 category, that way I will be able to perform a soft landing and apply for my PR card instantly. I have read online that people with R-1 category cannot apply for the PR card instantly and they shall apply for the same after residing for 2 years in Canada. I am pursuing a bachelor's degree currently and I have one more year to go, so it will be better for me if I perform a soft landing, apply for the PR card, return back to my home country and then return to Canada after graduation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey all,

I had a PR card when I was a minor but I had to return back to my home country because of some emergency. Lately I applied for a PRTD on the basis of H&C grounds and I have received a PRTD with R-1 category having 6 months validity. I want to know whether or not I shall communicate with the embassy to get the correct PRTD with RC-1 category, that way I will be able to perform a soft landing and apply for my PR card instantly. I have read online that people with R-1 category cannot apply for the PR card instantly and they shall apply for the same after residing for 2 years in Canada. I am pursuing a bachelor's degree currently and I have one more year to go, so it will be better for me if I perform a soft landing, apply for the PR card, return back to my home country and then return to Canada after graduation.
What happens if you get a brief validity PR card and it expires before your graduation? Why don't pursue your education in Canada? You might have better prospect in getting a job with a Canadian degree than a foreign one.

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
What happens if you get a brief validity PR card and it expires before your graduation? Why don't pursue your education in Canada? You might have better prospect in getting a job with a Canadian degree than a foreign one.
Only one year of my graduation is left. I don't want to waste the money and my time invested in the degree.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Only one year of my graduation is left. I don't want to waste the money and my time invested in the degree.
In many (most?) cases Canadian universities will give at least some credit for university education abroad. Depending on the degree, that might still require only a little bit or a lot of substantial extra time to complete a comparable degree - but then changing degree path also possible. For an undergraduate degree with only one year remaining, that might add up to just one extra year.

Of course some 'undergraduate' degrees abroad don't have equivalents in Canada esp for professional qualifications (eg medicine).

So it need not mean that time and money in the degree abroad was 'wasted.'

It's up to you, of course; but you should keep in mind that IRCC may not see "I wanted to finish my degree abroad" as a sufficiently compelling reason for non-compliance with the residency obligation (esp repeat). They might - I don't know - but they'd likely look at in context including what I mentioned above.

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
In many (most?) cases Canadian universities will give at least some credit for university education abroad. Depending on the degree, that might still require only a little bit or a lot of substantial extra time to complete a comparable degree - but then changing degree path also possible. For an undergraduate degree with only one year remaining, that might add up to just one extra year.

Of course some 'undergraduate' degrees abroad don't have equivalents in Canada esp for professional qualifications (eg medicine).

So it need not mean that time and money in the degree abroad was 'wasted.'

It's up to you, of course; but you should keep in mind that IRCC may not see "I wanted to finish my degree abroad" as a sufficiently compelling reason for non-compliance with the residency obligation (esp repeat). They might - I don't know - but they'd likely look at in context including what I mentioned above.
I am pursuing a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering. So all of my money and time invested would be wasted.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am pursuing a Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering. So all of my money and time invested would be wasted.
I don't see why that would be the case at all. Very little in terms of a waste.

First, lots of jobs in Canada in computer science don't require a degree at all - just talent and some experience. Lots don't even require that much experience.

Second, this type of degree would likely be the closest to one that could be transferred into a comparable one - standards are pretty comparable in computer science worldwide and transferable between countries, coursework likely recognizable. Apply to some Canadian programs and see what you can get into.

For someone in your situation, you really might want to look into a co-op program - in Canada this means programs where students typically study one semester, work one semester, etc. This would help you get into the workforce sooner with Canadian experience, the area where immigrants can have trouble with that first job.

If you're serious about staying in Canada long-term, this might actually be advantageous to you compared to finishing your degree in country of origin and then moving.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I would be surprised if your credits cannot be transferred to ones at a Canadian university. (Are you from a western European country? Kinda remember that but I may have mixed up with another member)
Did you look into any universities in Canada? Did you contact any to see if you can get admission and transfer your credit. Please keep your search to public universities.

How about exchange programs? Many universities have those between creditable universities.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How about exchange programs? Many universities have those between creditable universities.
That's a good point - far from guaranteed but some universities might allow a student to complete their coursework by exchange at a university they're familiar with, or some combination of off-site / distance learning / projects or dissertations or whatever.

At minimum - there is a lot to look into that would likely not mean giving up on education or 'wasting' everything done to date. Just requires more work and possibly time.

Anyway - my gut is that it sounds like the OP wants above all a reason, excuse or permission/suggestions/minimization of risk from others to go back 'to complete studies' - even if that means risking their PR status. That's their choice of course. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.