+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Step-by-step instruction for PR Card Renewal | Help needed

Star Member
Apr 14, 2012
  • Review the Eligibility Criteria: Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for renewing your PR card. The requirements include residing in Canada for a minimum period, meeting residency obligations, and maintaining your PR status.
  • Gather Required Documents: Prepare the necessary documents for your PR card renewal application. These typically include a completed application form, supporting identification documents, and proof of residency in Canada.
  • Complete the Application Form: Fill out the Application for a Permanent Resident Card (Form IMM 5444). Make sure to provide accurate and up-to-date information or use https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/login
  • Pay the Application Fee: Pay the required application fee.
  • Submit Your Application: Submit your application package by mail to the appropriate IRCC office based on your location. The address and specific instructions can be found on the IRCC website.
  • Track Your Application: Once your application is submitted, you can track its status online through the IRCC website. Use your application number to check for updates: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=029&top=3
  • Attend Biometrics Appointment (if applicable): If requested, schedule and attend a biometrics appointment at a designated Service Canada location. Biometrics include fingerprinting and a photograph.
  • Wait for Processing: After submitting your application, it will be reviewed by IRCC. The processing time can vary, so monitor the status of your application using the online tracking system.
  • Receive your PR Card: If your application is approved, you will receive your renewed PR card by mail at the address you provided.

The above is something I found as the steps. Can anyone knowledgeable help me with reviewing it, correcting errors if needed, and provide links that would help me understand the process better.

I also have a doubt, I recently came back to Ottawa. This was my first travel back after getting residency, it was late night and I was not asked anything much, and my foreign passport was not stamped for entry, is it normal ? If not how would I rectify it ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
  • Review the Eligibility Criteria: Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for renewing your PR card. The requirements include residing in Canada for a minimum period, meeting residency obligations, and maintaining your PR status.
  • Gather Required Documents: Prepare the necessary documents for your PR card renewal application. These typically include a completed application form, supporting identification documents, and proof of residency in Canada.
  • Complete the Application Form: Fill out the Application for a Permanent Resident Card (Form IMM 5444). Make sure to provide accurate and up-to-date information or use https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/login
  • Pay the Application Fee: Pay the required application fee.
  • Submit Your Application: Submit your application package by mail to the appropriate IRCC office based on your location. The address and specific instructions can be found on the IRCC website.
  • Track Your Application: Once your application is submitted, you can track its status online through the IRCC website. Use your application number to check for updates: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=029&top=3
  • Attend Biometrics Appointment (if applicable): If requested, schedule and attend a biometrics appointment at a designated Service Canada location. Biometrics include fingerprinting and a photograph.
  • Wait for Processing: After submitting your application, it will be reviewed by IRCC. The processing time can vary, so monitor the status of your application using the online tracking system.
  • Receive your PR Card: If your application is approved, you will receive your renewed PR card by mail at the address you provided.

The above is something I found as the steps. Can anyone knowledgeable help me with reviewing it, correcting errors if needed, and provide links that would help me understand the process better.

I also have a doubt, I recently came back to Ottawa. This was my first travel back after getting residency, it was late night and I was not asked anything much, and my foreign passport was not stamped for entry, is it normal ? If not how would I rectify it ?
I would strongly recommend you follow the steps here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/how-to-apply.html

Passports are not stamped for PRs entering Canada.

Reactions: 9145

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just want to add that residing in Canada is not always a requirement. A PR that is living abroad and is accompanying their Canadian spouse can usually have those days count towards the R.O. (Residency Obligation) to maintain their PR status. The caveat is that the card can only be mailed to a Canadian address, so it requires the PR to either travel to Canada to retrieve the card, or have it couriered to them by a family member or friend.

Also, a valid passport is not required. A PR can use the passport that they had when they became a PR.

Proof of residency is ONLY required if the PR has spent 1095 days or more outside of Canada in the last 5 years.

Lastly, because you are a PR your passport will no longer be stamped when returning to Canada. You present your PR Card, not your passport to CBSA.

Reactions: 9145

sandeep2034

Apr 25, 2018
Thanks for posting this, I heard there is another way to apply for a PR extension completely online ? is there any way like that, or mandatory to send docs via post? Kindly please suggest

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for posting this, I heard there is another way to apply for a PR extension completely online ? is there any way like that, or mandatory to send docs via post? Kindly please suggest
You do not apply to `extend' your PR status. You apply to renew your PR card. Even with an expired card, you are still a PR. The card expires; the status, does not.

You can apply for the renewed card, here:
https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/login

If you are already a permanent resident, you can:
  • apply for your permanent resident card (PR card); or
  • apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD)

[This includes applying for a renewed card, not just the initial card.]

szilvia

Jun 19, 2023
If I send my application in the mail, what are the documents do I need to prove residency in canada for the last 5 years? Do I have to print out bank statements or employment letter for at least the last 2 years?? Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I send my application in the mail, what are the documents do I need to prove residency in canada for the last 5 years? Do I have to print out bank statements or employment letter for at least the last 2 years?? Thanks
You are only required to provide two pieces of evidence, NOT 5 years worth.

Examples would be one bank statement and one NOA. You can also use what is shown on Appendix A.