+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Work permit Or PR

BIM1607

Nov 15, 2017
Hello. I recently got my student visa for PG program. I have question about spouse workpermit
1. Can i apply for spouse open work permit if I got Post graduate work permit after studies ? Or
2.Can i apply for PR for BOTH after Gaining 1 year experience in canada.?

Which is Better???

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello. I recently got my student visa for PG program. I have question about spouse workpermit
1. Can i apply for spouse open work permit if I got Post graduate work permit after studies ?
Your spouse can apply for an open work permit while you are studying.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Your spouse can also hold an open work permit while you are on a PGPW, as long as you can demonstrate proof of full-time skilled employment.

Or
2.Can i apply for PR for BOTH after Gaining 1 year experience in canada.?
Yes.

Which is Better???
Why not both?

BIM1607

Nov 15, 2017

Thank you very much.. but if i hold PGWP at that time can I apply for spouse work permit after completing my studies.....??

VARUN_HII

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Thank you very much.. but if i hold PGWP at that time can I apply for spouse work permit after completing my studies.....??
yes, u can apply anytime, now or after studies. she should get a open work permit

the expiry date of her work permit will be same as your permit. so if you are calling your wife now. you have to again renew her wp after you get yours pgwp to extend her expiry date on owp

hope its simple to understand. :) cheers

BIM1607

Nov 15, 2017
thanks it helps a lot
yes, u can apply anytime, now or after studies. she should get a open work permit

the expiry date of her work permit will be same as your permit. so if you are calling your wife now. you have to again renew her wp after you get yours pgwp to extend her expiry date on owp

hope its simple to understand. :) cheers[/QUOTE
thanks it helps a lot

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Only if you obtain employment in a skilled occupation -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

"If the principal applicant is a holder of an open work permit (e.g., post-graduation work permit, Working Holiday work permit), their spouse or common-law partner who is applying for the C41 exemption will need to attach a copy of the principal applicant’s work permit to their own application for an open work permit, along with proof that the principal applicant is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B. The applicant’s spouse or common-law partner will also need to provide information about the principal applicant’s employment by attaching supporting documents, including

• a letter from their current employer confirming employment or a copy of their employment offer or contract; and
  • a copy of three of their pay stubs.